In need of some serious help guys!

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Hey folks not sure if this is right spot, but I really screwed up and need some help. Shot my American predator some more today, and was gonna clean it when I got home. Well I do it outside so the house doesn't stink and it was getting pretty dark and my outside lights aren't to bright. My cleaning rod was somehow warped on the threads and I couldn't get it together (a one piece rod will be on its way soon now). So I had an Otis cleaning kit I was gonna use to get by tonight. Well I apparently used the wrong slot on the patch or folded from the wrong spot or maybe both. Now it is hung up about even with the barrel nut. I can see it but I don't have any tools I can get in there and pull from the back with. And being a flimsy cable I can't push it out the back from the front. I'm pretty disgusted right now, over a stupid mistake on my part for not paying better attention. Or just getting a new rod. So have any of you dealt with this before? I got a feeling I'm gonna have to get a gunsmith to take the barrel off just to be able to grab it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a small diameter brass rod from the muzzle in the past for similar, however if its a .223 that won't work. If you take the rifle out of the stock and access the area through the magazine hole, a crochet hook or similar might shred the patch enough to eventually pull it out. A very large coarse screw threaded in with a wire could also do it. Just some thoughts.Hope you get it out.

Can you grab it with a cork screw?

Those pull thru cleaners are dangerous, I've seen several stuck in a barrel before. Occasionally ruining a barrel entirely.

Your best bet is to pull it out from the back, if you can't reach it yank that bastard until the fitting holding the jag on breaks and pound to back out with a tight fitting rod.

If you can see it I would get something in there to hook it and pull back out. Or try to unscrew the jag and pound out with a rod. How tightly did you pull on the cord? If you didn't pull too hard you might be able to hook it with a dental pick and pull it back out.

Thanks guys for the replies. I managed to somehow unscrew the Otis cable from the jag. Then I was able to screw in damaged section of my 3 piece rod where it was long enough to reach the stuck patch and jag. Couple of good taps and it came out. Definetly will be going with a one piece rod. I'm sure the Otis is a good system I just screwed up and should have waited until Tm morning for better light. One a positive note today the rifle shot it's best group ever with hunting ammo.
83bf828feee45140fc2db71a721e6583.jpg
94d96247d070fad4b46fc0cddf84ec3d.jpg

Brother shot the .472 group. It was his tightest group he has ever shot, and first time shooting this rifle. The .353 is the tightest I've ever shot. I've had some .4's with this rifle with match ammo.

Thanks Elkman, it is a great rifle for what little they cost. Really liking that 6.5 Creedmoor too

Pleased to hear that you won that battle. Such things definitely put a damper on our view of life. However, you succeeded. The rifle is doing its part so far as providing a platform to deliver some fine accuracy. Congratulations on some fine riflery.

Thanks DrMike, I've been cleaning guns since I was a kid. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or latter haha. I was pretty upset at myself. Although it wasn't as bad as the time I had a squib factory load lodge in the barrel of my Python. Pretty sure I lost sleep for two days over that one. Had to get my ol man to fix that one for me I didn't trust myself!

When I used to shoot black powder a lot, I eventually joined the "patched ball with no powder" club! I put the screw jag on the ramrod, screwed it into the lead ball, then put a stout nylon cord on the ramrond handle and tied it to a tree. I used the rifle and its weight to back up and pull out the ball. Glad you got your patch out Pard!

That would make a good use for them lol

That would make a good use for them lol

Back