Interesting or Unique Shots Made on Game

Regrading the allegded "Dead spot" in a deer- I guy I work with swears that his mother in law shot a buck last fall that had an arrow laying just under the spine, braod head pointed forward, and that given the ammount of infection swelling in the area it must have been there for several days. Frpm tip to knock the arrow was not visible from the outside. Fed the meat to the dogs as he was obviously ill from the arrow. Again, not my story but interesting non the less. CL

I once had to build a cowpie base for my rifle on bipods to shoot a cow elk at 417 yards up a very steep incline. No way to be steady as I walked into the herd before daylight in an open field, but just sat down and started softly cow calling until daylight. At first light the herd was out of the field up a steep incline, over 45 degrees. I just stacked cowpies under both bipods until I had the right height. The angle was to steep to shot from behind the gun so I layed at a 45 degree angle, looked throught the scope on my side and touched off the shot...right through the lungs!

Montana right? Sendero with my 162 Hornie relaods? :lol:

Montana right? 7mm rem mag Sendero with my 162 Hornie reloads? :lol:

Yes, that's right your reloads in the Sendero. That same day in the afternoon while driving back to load up the elk I jumped up the biggest whitetail buck I have on my wall. Hit him a little too far back running at 200 yards, but finished him off running full tilt at 450+.

7mmfan":eyhstsbr said:
I'd like to pose a question, for our pure enjoyment only and not to see who can boast the most. What are some of the most interesting or unique shots, always within the appropriate ethical boundaries, that you have made or seen made on game animals?

Well, it's not a game animal but I was taking my youngest snowboarding last winter and we were going to stay at my dad's place that first night. So she gets home from school and we are about to go when my wife says, that's it, you need to kill the rooster. We had this rooster that was really rough on the hens and was getting cockier (groan..) as he got older and was starting to go after the goats, etc. So I grab my .22, go out and shoot him through the body, and he's doing the bird-death-flop and finally stops with his head still up. Fine, I think, so I shoot him in the head and down he goes. My kid and I are in a hurry so away we go leaving the rooster to my wife.

So a couple hours later, we get up to my dad's in Bend and my cell phone works again and I get this panicked call from my wife saying there's a headless rooster wandering around the pasture! She hates guns so I talk her through loading the .22 ("the pointy end of the bullet faces away from you..." <g>) and she goes out and after several misses, kills it for real this time. Turns out I'd blown off most of it's head but it was still walking around!

It actually got wierder than THAT that day. There'd been a bull on the loose in our area, and it finally turned up in our woods about a week later. The owner, being worried it was gonna do some damage, came down and shot it, again out in that same pasture. But while my wife was killing the rooster, that bull was standing about 30 yards away watching her!!

Wierd shit like that always seems to happen when I leave. I would have loved to be the one to shoot that bull, could have tested out my 45/70 or 338 elk load on it. Instead they used a .270 and almost botched it bad.

-jeff

This year I killed a deer at 7 feet on a drive. Had to side step to keep her from ramming me.

Three years ago I shot one while urinating. It had been pushed and I was in the middle of business when I grabed my slug gun and shot mid stream. (a witness said later that the deer was just whizzing by)

My first deer was actually a first and second. I shot at a bedded down doe and found that she and her fawn had been lying together. Both lung-shot (I assumed there was a ricochete)

I watched my grandfather knock a buck off of the back of the doe he was mounting at the time. In my adult years I finally understand the irony in that one.

My dad shot at a deer in a herd on a hillside and misjudged the range badly, killing a deer below it on the hill.

my first deer with my ruger #1 in 7x57 was a doe. it was late evening
thanksgiving day the only animal we had seen that afternoon.
the wife was watching her with the bino's as i shot , she jumps and has no clue where she went. as we went to find any sign of being hit the first thing i find is a three inch cherry sapling almost shot in half.
6 feet behind the tree is one small tuft of grey hair , we search for any more sign but find none. we return in the am. and make a big circle and find a blood trail the takes us on a roughly 500 yard walk .
we find the doe with a small hole just ahead of the rear quarters .
i dress the doe and find no trace of the 150 gr. ballistic tip any where.
but it has done the job!! through a sapling at 160yards and gut shot the doe fine memory and goo eating!!

my first deer with my ruger #1 in 7x57 was a doe. it was late evening
thanksgiving day the only animal we had seen that afternoon.
the wife was watching her with the bino's as i shot , she jumps and has no clue where she went. as we went to find any sign of being hit the first thing i find is a three inch cherry sapling almost shot in half.
6 feet behind the tree is one small tuft of grey hair , we search for any more sign but find none. we return in the am. and make a big circle and find a blood trail the takes us on a roughly 500 yard walk .
we find the doe with a small hole just ahead of the rear quarters .
i dress the doe and find no trace of the 150 gr. ballistic tip any where.
but it has done the job!! through a sapling at 160yards and gut shot the doe fine memory and good eating!!

Back in about 1993 while bow hunting in southern UT, I came across a nice large 2pt buck. I was about 20yards away and he turned to face me and left me with a nice center chest shot. I shot and as the arrow was going into him, he bolted and the back half of the arrow was sheared off by his left front shoulder blade and fell out on to the ground as he ran off down the draw. I waited about 20 min as I heard him thrashing around in the brush. After my wife and I trailed a very sparse blood trail we found him dead in the trail. Upon opening him up I found no damage what-so-ever to any internal organs. I found the arrow imbeded just under the hide after going through the hip bone. Upon further examination as to what actually killed him I found the broad head severed the femural artery and he bled out internally.
the year before up above Cedar City UT, I stalked up to a nice 2 point to within 30 yards and had a perfect shot broadside. I shot and heard the thwack and it bolted about 10 yards and turned to look at me. I am thinking, "ok, he will drop any second" he didn't and started off when I nocked up another arrow. So my wife and I start to look for blood sign or arrow or something. We did not find anything after looking fo almost an hour and finally noticed my arrow sticking out from a small 1.5 inch sapling he was just behind and I could not see. That buck had a lucky day!

hey everyone,

Mine also is more of a range thing than a game thing. My most unique shots come from me being a little bored one day ant the range and decided to put 22 long rifle casing on my target holder and take aim and shoot them off. This was a 200 yards with a ruger m77VT in 6mm PPC with a 6.5-20x leupold scope set at 20x. I did miss my fair share but I did shoot off about 5 of the 15 I put on the holder.

A.Parshall

Must be nice to live in a place where a 22 casing will stay on the shooting board!

The darn wind here will throw people around! :lol: :mrgreen:

hey pop,

Living at sea level in jersey does have some benefits like zero wind at 0800 in the morning and the range facing west so the sun is not in your eyes early in the morning. Those little cases are a real pita to hit even in zero wind.

A.Parshall

No doubt man! We have had 65 mph winds last couple of days here. :evil:

Back