is crimp needed when loading for ar-15

craiger40

Beginner
Aug 19, 2006
its been said if loading for semi-autos you should crimp the bullet is this true and if so what kind of crimp should i use

Never crimped a round loaded for semi-auto rifles and have fired several thousands in competition.

I see no reason to crimp any rifle round except those fired in guns with tubular magazines. I have a Lee Crimp die in .375 H&H gathering dust.

Scott in Michigan":d3gsxwze said:
Never crimped a round loaded for semi-auto rifles and have fired several thousands in competition.

I see no reason to crimp any rifle round except those fired in guns with tubular magazines. I have a Lee Crimp die in .375 H&H gathering dust.

+1

The only one I crimp is 44 Mag. This is suggested when using H110.

JD338

no. but to test, take a loaded round in your hand and try to press the bullet into the case by pushing it into a hard surface, like a tree.

If you can't, no need to crimp. If you can HOW much effort and force did it take? More than would be applied to the soft recoiling AR?

If you can push the bullet into the case you may want to see about reducing your expander ball a tad to make the neck a bit tighter.

Back