Is it my barrel twist?

26NosFan

Handloader
Apr 3, 2015
So I need some input. I currently have only shot 140gs ABs and 129 ABLRs, both Nosler factory loads) in my 26 Nosler. Shots have been off bags at 100yds, about 40 shots through the rifle so far. As you can see the 129gr load is almost perfect(5/8") but the 140s haven't grouped as well, staying at an inch or better. the twist is on mt MRC X2 is 1:8.5 whereas most 6.5s are 1:8 including the other 3 rifle offerings in 26( the Nosler Patriot, Browning X bolt and the CZ Sonoran) Could this be the problem with the 140's?

Attachments

• 26 nosler 129 ABLR factory 3 shot 100yds.jpg
    26 nosler 129 ABLR factory 3 shot 100yds.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 737
  • 26 nosler 140 AB factory 4 shot 100yds.jpg
    26 nosler 140 AB factory 4 shot 100yds.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 737
Very nice shooting with those 129's! (y)

Hmmm... I don't know how sensitive the long 6.5 bullets are to twist - to know if there's enough difference between a 1:8 and a 1:8.5 to matter...

But I'd hunt that 129 grain load in a heartbeat!

Guy

There are several "barrel twist calculators" out there, you could figure it out. My sense is that's not going to be the problem. Not with a standard 140grn AB.

The first thing I'd do is START RELOADING!!! :wink: Buying factory 26 Nosler ammo is crazy, that'll break the budget. But more than that, I think you'd be able to tune your bullets, and have more success.

The 129's look about as good as it gets though. (y)

I agree with the guys above.
At the speeds that thing runs an 8.5 should do fine with the 140AB. Reloading would let you tweak the 140 load and I'd bet you could pull it right in.
The folks over on bugholes.com even recommend the 8.5 Bartleins for the 26 and the SAUM.
Agree w the others. That 129 is sweet.

yes at about $3 a shot yes reloading is in order but that has to wait a bit. I am going to try the 142gr ABLR load next to see if it comes in or not. If it does not then I will press the reloading issue. At first I though it was me but I shot 3 different groups with the 129 just like the one above so it is the load.

I have no doubts about that one but after seeing mkjc's sons result on moose with the 140 AB I want it to shoot as well. As stated I'm going to try the 142 ABLR factory load and see what it produces.

If you read on accurate shooter about barrel twist, they mention in their example about rpm's- and calculating a bullets best twist rate. The results of it say you'll be fine +\-2 and still be ok. I took the calculation into excel and estimated a whole lotta bullets and velocities from noslers notes best loads and most are 1-2 twist rates off from what the 'best recommended twist' was calculated to be. .5 is invisible.

I agree with the others about the 129's, but I am curious if can you shoot out farther? Stretch that 26 out.

Have a range about an hour away that has 100, 200, 300, 500, 600 and 1000. As soon as my 142s come in I'll head down and see what it is like at distance.

It isn't the barrel twist but the loaded ammo not tuned to the gun. Those velocities and the twist is more then adequate. The main reason hand loading is so effective is calibrating the bullet, powder, charge to it's most optimize barrel timing in the rifle it's used in. That is not always available in a factory round, the 129 does work well, but the other is off..... charge, seating depth, powder, etc. and why it's not performing to expectations.

I have to agree with the other guys regarding reloading as the fine tuning is where you get those .4 or better MOA. I shot 130gr. ABs & Partitions out of my 270 win for many years and never had a problem. Shot placement is where it is at.

Blessings,
Dan

Gotta be an ammo issue.
I'd bet the difference in the jump of the bullet to the lands is slightly different due to bullet shapes.
I've had more than one rifle that I had to seat ABs deeper in the case to get the accuracy I was looking for.

Back