Is it worth the upgrade to a VX3? or "Talk me out of it"

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
OK friends and enablers :) because of you I have upgraded many of my rifles to those scopes with the gold ring :roll: , I can pick up one of the "old" VX-3's for $250 and tax. Question is, is it really THAT Much better that the VX-II it will replace? Please try and limit your opinions to a purely practical assessment. After all, I know a couple ole boys who have 30 year old VX's on their rifles. They haven't been "adjusted" in years and regularly shoot exactly where they are pointed. Why would you mess that up? I am of the "point and shoot" school of thought. I don't need or want a CDS so why would I make a swap? I have a VX-II and aVX2, my eyes cant tell the difference, from the bench anyway. I have an uncle who says, "If it stays where you put it (the crosshairs ), and adjusts like its supposed too, whats your problem? Spend your money on binoculars or more shells- you will use them more". Sound wisdom...... but its a deal..... What say you? CL

PS - :) Oh, I really don't have the $250

Well not bad advice from your uncle. I believe the "better" glass and or coatings help in that last five minutes. But I have no real data other than I believe. Middle of the day on the bench I don't see a difference.

I like good glass. I've got several VX3s...nice scopes and $250 is a good deal.

You won't find a better scope than that for $250...and you'll eventually need a scope on something.

I don't think spending mega bucks on scopes is a good deal ($250 isn't bad).... I just don't spend enough time looking through a scope to justify it. On a typical hunt, I look through binos for 3 days, a spotter for 3 minutes...and a scope for 3 seconds.

That said- A VX3 for $250? Heck, I'd buy that just waiting on something.

If you don't really have the money to spare then you already have your answer.

Sorry to be the odd one out here but even I have to play this adult thing every now and then.[emoji846]

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save the $250 for something you really need. I will bet that you have not missed any game as a result of your current scope, selection. One can spend a lot of money on upgrading glass, but as already pointed out in most cases the dollars just don't balance out. Good luck either way. (y)

It's only a "deal" if it's something you need. If the existing scope does everything you need for your application, save your money. "Deals" come and go daily.

Vince":vl8wqego said:
If you don't really have the money to spare then you already have your answer.

Sorry to be the odd one out here but even I have to play this adult thing every now and then.[emoji846]

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aint that the truth.... :) Karma and being a grown up keeps things straight. I wqs more interested if anyone else shared the opinion. Moms B-day and a best friend to see after surgery back in SD this weekend. The money will be spent- blessed to be able to do so. Thanks for the opinions. makes me feel better. :) CL

My father always said buy the best glass you can afford. Scopes as with most things you get what you pay for in MOST cases. If $250 is what you can afford then that is the best glass you can afford. I have been a Leupold Fan for a very long time, they have offered great price points, good glass, excellent warrantee, and for me the weight of the scopes was a huge selling factor. With the exception of two(a Burris FFII, and a Steiner GS3) all my scopes are Leupold. Is the VX3 that much better than the VX2? Below is the best explanation I have found.

"Leupold VX-2 lenses coated with index matched Diamond Coat and have blackened edges. All these allow 94% light transmission. Main tube is made from 2 pieces and has 1 inch diameter. Adjustments accomplish by finger tips with ¼ MOA clicks through 56 MOA range. VX-2 rifle scopes equipped with externally threaded fast focus eye piece and tactile power selector. These models feature 2nd generation Argon/Krypton filling that protects your scope against fogging with rapid temperature change.

Some of VX-2 models equipped with the adjustable objective (AO) and some with custom dial system (CDS). When you buy CDS model you can order a custom dial knob from Leupold for free. This knob will have numbers that refer to the yardage for specific cartridge that you use. Thus all you need is to set your scope to appropriate yardage and make a shot. There is no need for elevation adjustments and holdover. Leupold VX-2 scopes are priced in the range of $299.99 – $599.99.

Leupold VX-3 lenses feature Xtended Twilight System and Diamond Coat 2. This coating optimized to transmit more light in the blue violet color spectrum. Blue violet color dominates in twilight. Thus VX-3 allows 98% of light transmission and provides you with the bright and clear picture even in the early morning or at the dusk when the game is more active.

Main tube is made from a single piece and has 1” or 30mm diameter depending on model. VX-3 scopes are filled with Argon/Krypton gases. Adjustments are easy to perform by your fingertips with ¼ MOA clicks through 58 MOA range for 1” tube and 116 MOA range for 30mm tube. VX-3 equipped with extreme fast focus lockable eyepiece and tactile power indicator with range estimation.

There is a great variety of Leupold VX-3 scopes. There are some models that have adjustable objective or side focus for parallax adjustments. Some models have CDS feature or Illuminated reticles with the motion sensor. In total there are 28 scopes and 78 options (reticles and finishes). VX-3 prices typically range between $399.99 and $1099.99."

I have 2 of the older VX-II's. I recently got a Redfield revolution, equivalent to the VX1 scopes. There is no doubt the newer scopes have much better glass and coatings than the older scopes. The new scope is clearer and brighter than the VX-II by far. Same can be said of the $125 Nikon prostaff and buck master scopes I have. The technical trickle down effect to cheaper or mid level scopes and binocs is pretty impressive right now.

That being said, I still have both VX-II's and won't replace them anytime soon. The only time those older scopes are any problem at all is with low angle Sun glare.

Cloverleaf,

Today's VX-II is yesterday's Vari-X III.

Today's VX-3 is an upgrade of glass and coatings.
I too have used Leupold for many years and have several various models on most of my rifles and have both older and newer models.The better glass gets you better clarity at first and last light. Most people cannot tell the difference during regular daylight hours. I do now have two Swarovskis and a Trijicon scope, but have zero complaints with my Leupolds; best buy for the money in my opinion, and great warranty and customer service when I have had to use it.

I too subscribe to the "buy the best you can afford", while also the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Buy better binoculars and boots; this is where you will get the best return on your investment!

For all practical purposes you're paying for a few more minutes of "shooting light" in the morning and in the evening. How much is 15 minutes worth?

Bruce Mc":27ewtg9e said:
For all practical purposes you're paying for a few more minutes of "shooting light" in the morning and in the evening. How much is 15 minutes worth?

Not enough- got to looking at the "bargain" and it was for a size/ power I wasn't interested in. Problem solved - no more need to "scratch the itch". Thanks for reminding me that I have "all I need". CL

Way back in 1980 I ordered 2 Leupold 3X9X40 scopes online for about $125.00 apiece and considered myself well set up, I knew Leupold had a good reputation. This was before the internet days and product info was hard to come by out here in the sticks, so VXI or VX2 I have no idea.
I put one on my 7mm mag. and one on my wifes 7X57 Ruger. I eventually took 2 bull elk with mine and it was my prime deer setup for years. The wife's was traded back and forth between her 7X57 and 44 Ruger Carbine for years.
When I bought a VX-III I compared both in the sun, shadows and low light. I couldn't really tell a difference.
Personally I like my Conquest but the old VX-III still sees a good bit of use. And for what it's worth the old 3X9 is going back on the .44 Carbine in place of the Aimpoint that's on it now.
I think if you can afford it get the best glass you can. If not get something cheaper from a reputable manufacturer like Leupold and go shoot something.

There is no doubt that scopes today are a bargin , considering what folks are making for wages. I bought a Sightron S1 a few years ago to put on my BP gun for $89 , a friend from Vt had the new VX 1 that cost double, we both agreed the VX1 was over priced, Ditto when compared to a Vortex Diamondback............ having owned lots of older VX IIs , I can assure you the new VX2
Is not the same animal at all! Blkram has the best way of describing it, it is yesterdays VX3. And in the $250 range about best all around Scope out there.
However in this world of hyped up advertising, fancy boxes I decided to buy a VX3 , because of a special promo Leupold was having in Dec, after it arrived we did some extensive testibg with it before I ever mounted it up, against Zeiss Conquests, Minox, VX2's, and with out getting myself in trouble with all the guys that own them, I can only say, I sold it imeadiately, And for whatever its worth, at the $500 level , I think the Germans still have that market covered. The Meopta scopes at Cameraland for $350 are outradious value, imho.

Back