Is there a reason primers aren't shrink wrapped?

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
I was curious about something...
I can't say I've ever seen primers shrink wrapped?
If that's in fact the case is there an intentional reason why?

I only ask this because I have a bunch of primers stashed away in some air tight, water tight containers and it hit me perhaps they shouldn't be stored like that as I can't say I've ever seen them shrink wrapped.
I know stores sell them by the hundred but they could just as easily get the plastic wrap off and do that as not.

Coincidence or a real reason no shrink wrap

no need to. I have ones stored in my house and in the garage that were bought in the 1960's and they still work fine

I understand the cool dry place thing along with many other items we use or need. Reloading supplies to medicine and all in between.

It just got me thinking because I have some stored in an air tight container that is ip one million waterproof rated (sarcastic)
I just thought about it that we see items every day out in the world and they are shrink wrapped. Primers being a box full of 10 boxes of 100 is a perfect candidate to receive shrink wrapping given similar other goods we see every day are packaged that way.

It made me think back on this and then I thought I've never ever seen primers packaged in an air tight plastic wrapper around the cardboard.

Just seems like a great candidate for packaging like that unless for some reasong there would be a negative effect ?!

After thinking about this for a bit the only thing I can think of is perhaps the lack of shrink wrapping is to try and keep a volatile situation somewhat limited.?!
Federal's claim about their primers bring packaged in the gigantic plastic holders is necessary due to their primers being much more sensitive than others and it's a regulated packaging they can't avoid. 🤷‍♂️

If that's true perhaps if they're wrapped up tight and one primer went off many more or all of them would follow if tightly shrink wrapped.

It just got me thinking because I have some stored in an air tight container that is ip one million waterproof rated (sarcastic)
Please do not store your primers in a hermetically sealed container, especially steel ammo boxes. If there's too much heat or a fire it becomes made a bomb.

I was curious about something...
I can't say I've ever seen primers shrink wrapped?
If that's in fact the case is there an intentional reason why?

I only ask this because I have a bunch of primers stashed away in some air tight, water tight containers and it hit me perhaps they shouldn't be stored like that as I can't say I've ever seen them shrink wrapped.
I know stores sell them by the hundred but they could just as easily get the plastic wrap off and do that as not.

Coincidence or a real reason no shrink wrap
Shink wrapping requires the products to be passed through a heat tunnel, and most shrink films require a minimum temperature of 200-300 degrees.

I have not bought any since Obama was in office. I paid $50/brick for two cases with the Obama premium. I will never pay the Biden premium. Just get my pellet air rifle and me 60 year Savage model 3 in 22LR with open sights.

Back