Newly acquired rifle.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I stumble across the darndest things sometimes. Another rifle that was not on my radar because I can't honestly ever say I heard of them, although perhaps I should've. Research after I got home revealed they were made from 1970 to 1981, so not exactly out of my time frame.

A Savage Model 170 pump rifle. This one's in a 30-30, and a Carbine model with a 18.5" barrel.

Had to make an on the spot decision about a rifle I knew nothing about. Just knew it was older, I'd never seen one, the price wasn't bad, and it was in excellent condition. I checked on gun broker when I got home and based on the current bid prices on a couple that still have days to go, I done alright, and those aren't carbines.

Anyways, I got educated about a rifle I knew nothing about, maybe some on here will also if they run across 1.

The rifle. Weighs 6lb, 7oz as is. Folding rear sight. Research says they came in a plain and checkered version. This one has the checkering.

Handy bugger all the way around. Has a very smooth to operate tang safety.

Here's how little this rifle has been used, if any. Shells are loaded from underneath in what looks like a shotgun operating system. Notice the untouched factory red paint still on the magazine spring plunger.

It may very well be unfired. No bluing loss anywhere on the muzzle, I ran 1 patch through it and got some dust and a little old grease or oil out of it. All the color is still in the bore on both the grooves and lands.

Cool old find I think, for not a whole lot of money.

It does appear that you found a gem. Neat find, indeed. Now, to see how it shoots!

Thanks Rednek and Dr Mike.

I walked away the first time, then went back and decided if it was still there I was buying it. Good price point, too nice of shape, felt too good handling it, and I'd never seen one. Safety flips off and shoulders up about as easy and natural as me sitting down to a bowl of peach cobbler and ice cream. :lol:

I made the comment to someone I ran into afterwords, that it would be better if it was a 35 Rem. Not knowing if they even made them in that. Researching it revealed they did make them in 35 Rem but they are very hard to come across. Oh well, can't complain with my mouth full. I doubt a carbine version in excellent condition is a regular occurrence either.

There's one for sale around my neck of the woods. It's going for $700.
A might steep I think.
Enjoy yours!
Great find!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":1rk20f2e said:
A might steep I think.
Enjoy yours!
Great find!

Hawk

Not sure anybody would want to offer me $700 for this one, that'd be hard to turn down. I could buy a new entry level rifle just on the profit alone.

ShadeTree":28imwx8s said:
HAWKEYESATX":28imwx8s said:
A might steep I think.
Enjoy yours!
Great find!

Hawk

Not sure anybody would want to offer me $700 for this one, that'd be hard to turn down. I could buy a new entry level rifle just on the profit alone.
Dang that’s a smoking deal sounds like, I’d have picked it up too just to have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop22250":20ah71kc said:
ShadeTree":20ah71kc said:
HAWKEYESATX":20ah71kc said:
A might steep I think.
Enjoy yours!
Great find!

Hawk

Dang that’s a smoking deal sounds like, I’d have picked it up too just to have it

Yeah hard to turn down even though I for sure wasn't looking for that rifle. Not a sleek classy lines rifle like a nice old 99 or something, but I genuinely liked the rifle soon as I handled it. Plus I knew it was something a little different in great shape.

It would depend which entry rifle of course, they vary in price. At current prices, some I could buy and still have a little jingle left over in my pocket, others I'd have to kick in $50-$75, but yeah a good price considering.

My brother in law had the rifle version in 30-30 back in early 70's. Hunted with it few years went down the road for something else. Not something you see every day and one in a 35 Rem would be nice. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":1h07x92y said:
My brother in law had the rifle version in 30-30 back in early 70's. Hunted with it few years went down the road for something else. Not something you see every day and one in a 35 Rem would be nice. Dan.

Dan, a 35 Rem would be awesome. Bet they would kick a bit though at 6.5 lbs. :mrgreen: They were obviously one of the economy rifle's of the day. One of the reasons I walked away the first time......liked the rifle, but thought to myself it's just a Savage. But in the end too solid of a rifle in something different to let sit there at that price.

According to some of the current bid prices on a couple of the standard rifles, people are coming back to them. Regardless though of any dollar amount that's now attached to them, cool little rifle to run across I think.

I probably wont get at shooting it until next yr. Should be fun.

oh- theres another cool one! I wish a unique 30-30 would follow me home.... Look forward to more of your "research"! CL

One of my dads hunting partners wife used one of those for years as her only deer rifle. Had an older steel tubed scope with post reticle on it. Killed many Michigan whitetails with it.

I, as well, have recently got into the pump rifle genre
They sure are cool.
Your's is in excellent condition.
While Savage wasn't as flashy, or as polished as some other manufacturers, they did get the job done, and usually very well.
Congratulations again!

Hawk

Thanks fella's. Being this is a pump gun and the era it came from, it's factory drilled and tapped for a scope. Probably where the fold down rear sight they put on them came into play.

I'll shoot it the way it is, but will likely end up scoping it, something low to moderate power.

I got no 30-30 brass other than some old factory empties from my Mom's Win 94. Got no dies, got no 308 flat nosed bullets. Oy vey. :shock: This rifle disease keeps a guy from getting bored for sure. :lol:

Back