Is there an all-around perfect cartridge???

paolo65":hhbcaken said:
all 300 are very good but IMHO 9.3x62 is better!
paolo

I think my next gun will be CZ 550 in 9.3x62. It has a lot of power for a 06 size case.

Yes, there is one all around perfect cartridge in my book and I have owned and hunted with most popular cartridges of last 100yrs. You know what I am going to say it is so here I go "THE 30-06 SPRINGFIELD" :lol: :lol:

Well for the money,I prefor a 7mmMAG. You have a good choice of bullets up to 175 grain and it will kill anything in North America. Ammo is easy to buy at sporting good stores. Hope that you pick out a good rifle and enjoy reloading as I do.

NOSLER ROCKS!

6ppcar
I think my next gun will be CZ 550 in 9.3x62. It has a lot of power for a 06 size case.[/quote]

I have cz (since 1987) too and I shoot 286 gr Partition on vihtavuori 135, 48gr . Scope is Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6x42. With this combination I hunt really a lot of wild boars (from 20 to 280 kgs) and red deer (cervus elaphus around 270 kg for a big male) and some romanian and russian brown bears in the range from 20 metres till 250. Most of them dropped on the place. The other died no longer than 10 metres from the place where they were shot. Great cartridge :grin:
ciao,
paolo

YES

The 280rem, 270win, 260rem, 7mm08, and 308win fall in to all round deer cartridges because they are not excessive in power and all WORK GREAT on deer from 10-400 yards.

There are mags like the 7mm/300mags that are better for say 300-500 yards but they are excessive for less ranges. And the 30-30/35rem are tops for shots at less than 100 yards in close cover hunting, but lack power for over 200 yard shoots.

Ther are more that will fit like the 260rem 6.6 swede,257roberts, 7x57m, 300sav. 25-06.

WELL I sure miss read this post.

All purpose NA do all cartridge YES the 35 Whelen with 180gr to 250gr bullets it will do it all.

MY picks the 270win or 7mm08

Well,,, with the exception of the big bears and other dangerous game, the 30-06 would be my choice. It has done it all for over a 100 years now, and likely go another 100. (well, one can hope anyhow).

Dave

It's interesting how "perfect" varies in each of our minds. Based on my experience (outfitted in another life), and my observations a case could be made for most any cartridge/rifle to be perfect. When I'm toting my 280, it is for sure the one. I'll never be far from a .338 Win as it has done it all for me. The .30-06 pump gun in the safe makes so much sense. The accurate shooting .308 Win would surely fit this "perfect" notion. For that matter, so would/could my .25-06, .243 or why not any of my little .22 rimfires? We each have our own parameters and stars that guide us. So just how we describe "perfect" might not be the same for everyone. I truly believe that we spend too much time worrying about cartridges. It seems to me that a well made bullet, accurately placed, of any reasonable weight and speed will put meat on the table. Poor placement or poor projectiles will not perform reliably not matter what the size or speed. I'm wow'd by many of the new cartridges out now. However, it comes down to how much fun they are to shoot, carry and even sit and fondle.... and that's all I got to say about that! this would be a good place to put a cute little smiley face if I was just smart to do that!!!

m1aggie01":13fqa2xn said:
Mods...this may not belong here but I did not know where else to put it??
Well, is there an all-around perfect "production" cartridge. I limit this to "production" b/c not everyone is able to afford or purchase non-production, custom firearms...having said that, I am sure someone will chime in with a custom type cartridge and that is fine. I am sure this question has been asked a zillion times, but let's look at it this way:
If there was one perfect cartridge in a production rifle that you could go to the gunshop and buy AND you could only afford 1 rifle for ALL N/A game...WHAT WOULD THAT CARTRIDGE BE???

As they...FIRE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I wouldn't classify the 30-06 as perfect cartridge. As depends on what your shooting or hunting! JMHO there are many that say the 30-06 is one of the top ALL-Around production cartridge. You can buy this ammo in just about every place. Bullets available from 90 grains to 220 grains, I think just about all bullet maker have .308 bullets so there is variety to choose from. Brass is readily available. External and terminal ballists show this cartridge when will take every game animal on North American continent. Just my 2 cent for what is worth.
Kenny

This has been a lot of fun reading this thread. Now doubt we all love guns and we all have a favorite cartridge. Some hunters have a favorite cartridge and it happens to be the only big game center fire rifle they have because it is all they can afford at the time and that is cool. Some have many rifles in different cartridges. I really like the 30 Cal line of cartridges for the all around or as some say the perfect cartridge although I do not believe nor does anyone on the this thread believe there is just one perfect cartridge.

Now that said, I do like the 300Wby for a great balance between the 300Win mag and the 300Rum. It is accurate, fast, flat shooter and most bullets work well in it and it gives me the edge I want over the 300Win Mag and is not as extreme as the 300Rum. By the way I like the 300Win Mag and 300 Rum also.

Here is what it comes down to with me. I have hunted three continents with one cartridge in different rifles. The rifles were Sako, Ruger, Weatherby, Remington, Savage all chambered in 30-06. I have killed varmints, medium and large none dangerous game and medium to large dangerous game. I have been charged three times in my 30yrs of hunting and it was the 30-06 in my hands that stopped the charge. I have dropped coyote, whitetail, mule deer, elk, bear, Russian bore, lion, African lion (stopped a female charging, 30-06 was not legal for lion but had no choice, happened while hunting impala).

Are there specific cartridges that could do a better job on the above animals than the 30-06? Yes!!! But there is no cartridge in my opinion that can do all the above as well as the 30-06.

I am still amazed that Nosler does not build at least a Model 48 in 30-06. So amazed that if Nosler does not, I won't every own a Custom Nosler rifle, because the 30-06 is the rifle I choose to carry for the remainder of my hunting life when in I am in doubt of the terrain or game I will in counter while hunting a specific animal. The 30-06 is like a good horse that will not let you down and will carry you any where you want to go or any where you find yourself. I know, it has never let me down.

All I can say is: the 30-06 was designed to kill calvary horses, it has definitely surpassed expectations. That is, the calvary isn't here anymore and the 06 is.....

I bought one when I was 13 and killed my first deer with it
I was using Remington Bronze Point 180 grns out of a Savage 110E with a fixed 4X40 Tasco scope. The rifle was flat out ugly, but shot well.

The 308 is capable, but lacks the long and distinguished military and sporting career of the 06.

I personally favor Magnums, but then again every game animal I've shot in the last 5 years could have been taken with a 30-06,270, 280, 308, etc.

CC.

Perhaps the better analysis should be a continental breakdown?

"If hunting in North America, which is the best all around, best versatile cartridge/caliber for all game?

"If hunting in Africa, which is the best all around, best versatile cartridge/caliber for all game?

For any N/American big game, for the widest selection in bullet weight reloading versatility, I vote for any of the fast .30`s, with my particular favorite still being the .300 Win.

For all African game, longer range plains game and for all dangerous game, the best versatile all round caliber imo is the .375, with my particular favorite being the more recently developed .375 Ruger.

However, for added assurance against the N/A big bears and bison, I`ll be packin my .375 Ruger and leave my 300 WSM behind!

I vote for the 35 Whelen also. With 180's it will shoot plenty flat for deer and light game and when loaded to 2500fps with 250Gr NP's or any other accurate 250gr it will hammer bears and anything else that walks on NA. It is just another big 06 though.... Scotty

Back