Is this .308 Load appropriate for Moose?

sithlord6512":2lfeig2f said:
The posts have me reconsidering my approach. I've always striven for accuracy first and velocity second. However, perhaps my quarry and my-self imposed parameters (less than 250 yards) suggest less than optimum accuracy in favor of greater velocity is the way to go - I mean the vital area on a moose must be at least 15" in diameter - theoretically even groups of 6" @ 100 yards should be accurate enough - some of my 168 TTSXs loads where in the 1.5-2" ranges (but again velocities kinda slow-ish - not what monometals like). I will start checking out 180 PTs.

While I don't think there is alot wrong with your current load for the ranges you are talking about, I agree with the others, there are better. Have you tried out the 165 AB with RL15 in your 308?

I did a real quick and dirty workup with my wifes 308 Ruger. It hasn't even been a particularly awesome rifle for me. It shoots, but it isn't a bug hole shooter. Well, I think with a bit of barrel channel relief, it could be a great load.

45 grains RL15

C9216DDE.jpg

45.5 RL15

A63C5DF5.jpg

46.0 RL15

9918F6C3.jpg

These are using WW cases, CCI BR2 primers and SAAMI seating depth.

While they don't look awesome by any stretch of the imagination, they seem to be pretty consistent across the powder column and run right around 2800 with 46 grains out of her 22" barrel. That load, as it sits would be okay with me for any moose.

Good luck with your load work. 180's might be okay as well, but the 165 seems to really shine in the 308. Well built bullets such as the PT's or AB's would work pretty awesome on moose. Gotta think moose were probably killed by the trainloads with 300 Savages and lesser powered rounds for a long time.

You will find that the 150 ttsx will penetrate and open up just fine for you, I have loaded 165 tsx,s from a 30/30 , shot through 1 4ltr jug and open up fully at 100 yards by hole in target butt set just behind. The new ttsx are basically flawless in performance as is the e-tip.

My dad used to hunt Quebec Labrador moose wih an Oberndorf commercial, 7mm Mauser, spoon handle, Mannlicher stocked rifle with a 20 inch barrel. It was the only rifle that he owned. He used the 175 grain RN Norma factory loads at about 2500 fps muzzle velocity and they killed 2-year old bulls meat bulls just fine, mostly with one shot.

I would be more concerned with greater accuracy then velocity because there always seems to be instances where a shot has to be made through a smallish opening in a willow thicket or something which requires more accuracy than velocity.

There is nothing flawless about any bullet, and jugs are one thing game is an other, and the tsx and ttsx have not been flawless in the field as with other type of bullets they all have had their problems, but percentage wise in a five year use of tsx and two seasons with the ttsx in the field I'd say they are anything but flawless.

Oldtrader3":2x4ty87f said:
My dad used to hunt Quebec Labrador moose wih an Oberndorf commercial, 7mm Mauser, spoon handle, Mannlicher stocked rifle with a 20 inch barrel. It was the only rifle that he owned. He used the 175 grain RN Norma factory loads at about 2500 fps muzzle velocity

That is still one of the loads I wanna play with in my son's 7mm Mauser. Wanna try out some 175 grain RN's.. Just for grins. That Norma load is gettin it!

Scotty, your son's 7mm Mauser has been a successful caliber since 1892 as a military and sporting cartridge, even in England for a century as the .275 Rigby. I really like all of the cartridges derived from the 7mm Mauser. I am sure that is why I like the .257 Roberts so well. I always really liked and used Norma ammunition before I started handloading in the mid 1960's. Back then, Norma was the highest velocity and most accurate factory ammo available despite being a little more expensive. However, in Quebec, it cost about the same as Remington/Winchester ammo.

My dad hunted mostly Quebec and Maine. He hunted and shot young bull moose more than deer and only went deer hunting with me once when I was an adult to Anticosti Island. He used his 7mm Mauser and I used my 7mm Rem Mag. He was more of a Partridge, Ptarmigan and snowshoe hare hunter with a shotgun than a rifle hunter. With a rifle, he was a meat hunter because back in the 1950 and 60's, there were many fewer deer and moose than there are now, especially in Maine. Maine did not even have a moose season at that time.

Lol, I have killed many animals with everthing from a bow, a 22 Lr , to large caliber rifles, all big game, and I think I definatly don't stand alone in trusting my ttsx to get the job done with authority when killing big game. I have killed more moose with a bow than more than a few have even had the pleasure of even pointing a gun at , so I think I know what of I speak. Lol

Some of the rest of us know what we speak of also with the tsx, I just might have killed a few animals in my life :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You use them and good luck with them and have a great fall season on top of that. :)

Back