it's about over , hunting for bucks .

I can see how that would be most attractive to ungulates. Careful, there, Jim, or you'll soon have elk visiting your food plots! ;)

I've been cutting Russian Olive and Multi Floral Rose, slowly taking back my property from these invasive species. Been seeing several fresh rubs and saw 2 fresh scrapes. Bucks are just starting to drop antlers but most are dropped in February and March.
Here is an 8 pt that should be a nice buck come this fall.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230125_184120.jpg
    IMG_20230125_184120.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230125_184111.jpg
    IMG_20230125_184111.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5
this past week I did get three pics of bucks . nothing great , but they'll grow up .

MFDC9878 (2).JPG STC_0013 (6).JPG STC_0007 (11).JPG

I'm not sure what to expect next season . we are going to plant more food plots to try and hold the deer we have . this year we had a bunch of things happen around us that I think really went in our favor . about a week , maybe two , before the start of rifle season , the game commission did a controlled burn that got away from them . I never heard how many acres burned . this ground is only about 2 miles away from us . a lease beside us just about clear cut the property . all these deer had to go somewhere , I'm sure some came on us . we had some dandy bucks, and more showed up . I was able to keep tabs on one good one from about mid November on .it took a little , but I convinced one of the rifle hunters to go after him . he got him about halfway through the last week of rifle .it was his second or third time hunting him . these are the best pics I got of him . I was sent a tailgate pic of him , it must be on my phone .

STC_0028 (6).JPG STC_0026 (3).JPG

I like to see nice bucks . I don't care who shot them , who's property they are on , or what state they are in . I like to see them .

I got the pic off my phone .

View attachment 18916 View attachment 18917

Yep me too Jim! I'm the last guy you would call a trophy hunter, but I'll jump in my truck and drive to see a good buck. I like those heavy rascals similar to the one you posted. That's a good one in my book.

I moved one camera to a spot I want to see what's going on, and brought the rest home .

I got two bucks this week .

STC_0002 (7).JPG

MFDC9889 (2).JPG

another very curious doe . I've probably got 5 or 6 of these curious buggers this year .
STC_0019 (6).JPG

didn't take long to be able to tell the access was opened up .

open access.jpg

Wow! And one wanted a selfie, though the shot betrayed a rather clumsy ungulate. That deer needs to learn that there must be some distance from the camera to get a good photo.

the one camera I have out I moved to a trail to try and see what's using it . in the snow it looked like a bowling ball was rolled through there .there are a few of these bowling ball trails , but this one looked a little wider , so I thought it might have more traffic . the snow , on this trail , was packed so hard I couldn't even make out a track . it looks like raccoons and coyotes are using it . I had a few pics of something walking under the camera , but didn't get enough to tell what it was . I had the camera to high , I angled it so it has a lower view .

MFDC0761 (2).JPG

MFDC0758 (2).JPG

MFDC0759 (2).JPG

I think it was Monday . we walked up on about 8 or 10 deer . 3 of the deer were very nice rack bucks . it's been an easy winter , the deer look to be in great shape .

it looks like my last camera is watching mainly raccoons ,and porcupines . I got a rabbit , and I think it's a opossum , on a blurry pic . I'll let it out for another week or two , just to see if anything interesting shows up . it's a busy trail , I'm getting about 30 pics a week .

MFDC0808 (2).JPG

MFDC0791 (2).JPG

MFDC0774 (2).JPG

Still animals moving. Always nice to see some of the locals moving about, even if you wouldn't be inclined to tag them.

looks like mostly porcupines , a few raccoons , and a coyote here and there .
MFDC0834 (2).JPG

MFDC0840 (2).JPG

Love seeing the porcupines, nevertheless. I know they can be real pests gnawing on canoe paddles, etc., but I still find them comical as they waddle about. Coyotes, not so much. I know that they serve a purpose in their ecosystem, but they are more than pests.

I just got porcupines last week . this week I got a few pics of the porcupines paired up . I also got a good sized bobcat .

MFDC0886 (2).JPG

MFDC0882 (2).JPG

MFDC0881 (2).JPG

I found a den yesterday , that looks active . I'm going to put a camera on it , to see what's using it .

Back