JD338 info re 338RUM test firing with new brake installed

Here are some recovered 200 gr AB's from the 338 RUM.
338RUM200grAB1.jpg

338RUM200grAB2.jpg

JD338

I use the Federal 215 Mag Match primers in both my 7mm Mag and .340 Mag. I have found they give more consistant velocity in both rifles and better grouping. I have not chrono'ed them yet to calculate standard deviation but I will get around to that later when I can fire 30+ to get a relatively high variance coefficient in sum of squares without degrees of freedom issues.

Richracer1":tiisedte said:
Hey Jim, when you get around to loading for your RUM, give 7828SSC a try when working your 200ET load. 93gns of this powder was the ticket for mine.

I went and looked, the above gave me an average velocity of 3150FPS.

JD338,

Since we both have Rem 700 LSS rifles chambered in 338RUM , I thought of a few stock-related questions
that occur to me related to maximizing rifle accuracy :
1) Did Rem. free float your OEM barrel prior to leaving the factory ?
2) My OEM barrel is NOT free floated at present - therefore would you recommend glass bedding the
action and free floating the ss OEM barrel ?

My current 338RUM factory ammo inventory is as follows :

1 box of Fed. 210gr. nosler Partition P338RUMA

2 boxes of Rem. 250gr. core-lokt PSP
4 boxes of Rem. 250gr. Swift A-frame PSP

I also have 1 box of Nosler 338 bullets 180 gr. Spitzer ballistic tip ( burgundy color )

I bought 250gr. ammo in anticipation of returning to Alberta for elk/moose and a friend of mine lives
in Tanzania and is always inviting me to participate in a low cost safari for plains game.

My 338 LSS currently is outfitted with a Swarovski 2.2 - 9 x 42 scope attached with Leupold bases
and rings.

I shoot the 180 gr Nosler BT's in my .338 Federal and they work fine for deer and such. However, I would not shoot them at elk in my .340 Weatherby. From what I can see, these 180 BT bullets give good accuracy and performance at 2600 fps but I would not want to shoot anything at 3200 fps with them!

Jim,

My M700 LSS is not free floated. It is a stock rifle except for the Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad. The trigger is stock, tuned to 2.5 lbs. The scope is a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm with a standard duplex reticle.
700LSS338RUM.jpg

This rifle is a shooter. Hand loads with the 20 gr BT, AB, 210 gr PT, 225 gr PT, 250 gr AB, PT all shoot under .5". The 225 gr AB shoots under .6" and the 300 gr AB is .7".

JD338

That's some very impressive results from outstanding handloads.

Remington barrel?

Guy Miner":245beuco said:
That's some very impressive results from outstanding handloads.

Remington barrel?

Guy,

Yes, stock Remington barrel. This is the most accurate factory rifle I have owned. All my Remingtons have shot well under MOA but this one does it with every bullet I have used.

JD338

I thought that one had the Remington barrel, but recalled that you have at least one rifle with a custom tube.

It pains me to see all the problems being reported with Remington now, when just a few years ago they were building rifles that would shoot like yours.

Meanwhile - back on topic - great loads that appear well suited for taking on the biggest game in North America! That's a real whomper of a cartridge, no doubt!

Guy

Guy Miner":3faqcyin said:
I thought that one had the Remington barrel, but recalled that you have at least one rifle with a custom tube.

It pains me to see all the problems being reported with Remington now, when just a few years ago they were building rifles that would shoot like yours.

Meanwhile - back on topic - great loads that appear well suited for taking on the biggest game in North America! That's a real whomper of a cartridge, no doubt!

Guy

Guy,

You are thinking of my 280 AI which has a Hart #5 fluted 24" tube.
IMG_0315.jpg

JD338

Ah yes! I couldn't remember if it was the .280 or the .338 that had the Hart barrel!

Guy,

My plan is to rebarrel the 338 RUM with a 26" #5 fluted Hart barrel once the factory barrel goes.
Still waiting....... :grin:

JD338

I have not even shot my 338 Rum Rem 700 XCR yet........I decided to have it Mag Na Ported instead of the brake. That should bring it down to at least 338 Win level in recoil I suppose.

So it's in the mail.........

I have to decide on what bullet to go with this is what I have so far

225gr A Frame
225 XLC Barnes
230 Fail Safe
225 Part
250 Part gold
225 AB
250 AB

Retumbo and H1000 powder

SJB358":138pc2q3 said:
Those A-Frames should be sweet in that big 338.

I concur.
Let me know if you want me to slam 1-2 in the jugs.

JD338

Back