Williams Muzzle Brake

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I had Williams Gun Sight install their Tactical Muzzle Break on my M700 LSS 338 RUM. The fit is excellent and it is very difficult to see the seam where the brake buts up to the barrel. The brake is the same contour as the barrel, giving it a really nice look IMHO.
I shot a few rounds at their range to try it out and get a quick zero.
The reduction in felt recoil was amazing, felt like a 30-06 to me. I also noticed that the noise wasn't bad at all. I had shooting muffs, no ear plugs and it was fine, even in their enclosed range.
I am heading out tomorrow to send a few down range at 200 and 300 yds.
IMG_07381.jpg

IMG_07341.jpg

IMG_07321.jpg

JD338

Looks pretty darned good - and cutting that beast down to .30-06 recoil level is great.

What they don't tell you is that there is a hidden cost when you do that...now you're going to send twice the number of rounds downrange per trip because it's so much more fun to shoot! :wink:

I will get some better quality pictures tomorrow.
BTW, the brake is removeable.

JD338

So that means you can shoot one 300AB without and one with the brake and tell us how much more fun it is with it! That way we all jump on those big bore toys. Looks great Jim!

A lot of the noise is diectional and all comes down to where the brake ports are aimed. I am glad that the brake is quieter than some other brakes are. It sounds as though it is agood brake as well. Win, win on that one.

Pretty skookum looking brake, Jim. It looks as if it will control muzzle jump as well.

Good stuff Jim...I'm happy you got your rifle back, and that it turned out great!..Lou

May give the brake a try on the 338-375. A good Brake would help for load work on these 338 monsters.

Looks real good Jim!!!
Also, do have an idea of the muzzle rise reduction you ended up with?
At this point, I really can't imagine what the .338 RUM with 250's at top end loads would be like.
As much in the past, I haven't cared for brakes on my big game rigs. But as of late, I find the 9.3x74R in the Encore loaded with 250 AB's @2600 and 286 PT @2500 is more than I really care for any more. But I might try a custom stock on it first. It's factory profile with the drop at the heel and pitch of the toe just ain't conducive to managing recoil. A more classic type straight comb would help I'm sure.

Here are some better pictures of the brake.

IMG_07391.jpg

IMG_07401.jpg

This is the left side upside down, there are no holes in the bottom of the brake.
IMG_07421.jpg

JD338

Your impressions once you are able to shoot your rifle will be valuable.

I just may have to take a look at the possibility of them mounting one on my son's 12" bull barreled Encore pistol chambered in the .308. While I haven't shot it, he said while not unbearable, a little taming of the recoil would make it more pleasant to shoot. I can believe it, shooting a 15" in the same chambering with a factory contour. But then too, the factory grip leaves a little to be desired as well. But he wants to keep and use the factory synthetic grip. My custom fitted thumb rest/finger grip/ palm swell grip made a big difference, in my 30-40 AI, which would out run the .308. But even there, a brake would have been mre pleasant. And again, the 9.3x74R is going to get some serious consideration.

I tested the brake and found that it works well. The 300 gr AB at 2742 fps felt recoil has been reduced dramaticaly, feeling more like a 30-06/7mm Rem Mag. Getting back on target through the scope may take a bit of practice.

I shot a couple 225 gr AB's at 100 yds. Wow, what a difference! Felt recoil was not bad at all. Both bullets cut the same hole too. :grin:
I then tried some 200 gr AB's at 3200 fps and it was a cream puff. Felt recoil was like a 308 Win. First two went into one hole and the third dropped out but still a .5" group. There would be no problem getting on the target through the scope with this load.
All in all, I am very pleased with this brake. I didn't notice any increase in noise either.

I think William's Tactical muzzle Break is a winner.

JD338

I'm glad you're happy with it. It looks sharp and sounds efficient. For me a brake makes it a lot easier to concentrate on the target or animal and not worry about getting a scope in the face from a loose hold in the excitement of the moment..
Congrats :grin:
Greg

Jim the brake looks great but didn't figure any other way with Rob doing the machining. Brakes can be wonderful things can't they?

Bill

That is a great report Jim. Might have some more business for him when the time comes...

Back