Jump to lands...

A

Anonymous

I finally started loading for my Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5CM with a 3" mag box. The rifle shoots Hornady factory 143ELDX into 1/2" groups and Nosler ABLR 129s into not much more.

Decided to simply try to replicate those loads.

The 143 ELDX is loaded to an OAL of 2.810".....the only rub is when I measure to the start of the lands, I get an OAL of 2.892" to the lands using the rifle to seat a bullet in a fired (not resized) case. I'll confirm that number with a Stoney Point Gauge, but that seems to me like a bullet jump of 0.082" and the 129 ABLR is even more!

That runs counter to everything I thought I knew about loading an accurate rifle...which said that bullets should start somewhere from contact to 0.002" from the lands.

I know certain bullets like (or at least tolerate) a significant amount of bullet jump...but does 0.082" seem excessive here?

Your results are your answer. They are good. I found the AB liked jump in my rifles. Do not shoot the Hornady bullets. If you load Barnes give them a bunch more jump and max loads for accuracy.

Back