Just Checking In

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
Hi there! I just got home a bit ago from my muzzleloading/rifle scouting trip. Dropped a doe Sunday afternoon around 3:30. There were two feeding and milling around only about 50 yards in front of me and one gave me a nice broadside shot. The 348 grain powerbelt (aerotip) punched threw both lungs and dropped the deer instantly. It fell within 3 feet of where she stood. I got her hung up, skinned, boned out, and on ice all but the hind quarters Sunday evening and then boned out the rest as soon as I woke up the next morning.

I'm just waiting for the last of my clothes to dry and then I'm headed to another area in hopes of filling my buck tag. The season started Saturday and has been very fun so far. I was able to scout some new territory and even caught a couple rainbows on the White River yesterday. It's in the mid 80s here in town today so hopefully it will be a little cooler in the mountains this evening. Hope to have a good report for part 2 of the season which ends Sunday. Good luck to all you other archery and muzzleloader hunters!

Yote,

Congratulations on your smoke pole doe. Hope you can put your tag on a big buck.

JD338

Nice bull JDMAG!! Way to go! That 348 powerbelt I'm sure will do a number on an elk and worked fine on the doe I shot through the ribs. I would expect even better expansion on an elk, and from experience, you will get plenty of penetration. Yes, I'm using FFG equivelant Hodgdon Tripple 7 powder. 110 grains gives me 1 inch groups. I would think you would find a good shooting load between 90-120 grains of loose powder.

Antelope Sniper and I hunted hard this weekend to fill his doe and my buck tag to no avail. I'm afraid there are more granola heads, cyclists, and hippies than there were deer in the areas we hunted, but being in the woods still beat sitting at home. It was good exercise and helped get us in the spirit for antelope and elk seasson coming up real soon. Now if I can keep up with the exercise I may not need a lung donor come October!

I learned last week that there is no exercize you can do short of running on an eliptical with a platic bag over your head to condition your lungs/brains to cope with the lack of oxygen in the rockies. My legs were in good shape and I didn't even get saddle sore. But lack of oxigen is lack of oxigen. I dont know how my guide does it. (he is only 26) but he could run up those mountains and not get winded. I felt like a fish out of water!
Good luck in october!
JD

The best conditioning in the world is a 10 day elk hunt in the Rockies.... The only problem is that by the time you are in shape, it's time to go home! :)

Shot the deer near this spot maybe 20 minutes after I snapped this pic.

MuzzleLoaderSeason011.jpg

Back