Just for chuckles & grins.

I thought it would kick more, still comes back a lot though by the looks of it.

It would take only one shot to kill two ---myself and whatever I might have shot

Seems you handled it real nicely. I'll pass and not worth it rattling my skull. (y) I'll stick with smaller rifles.

Side note: I have shot a 766 grain 10 gauge rifled slug and that is enough for me, I am sure it kicks less than what a .460 Weatherby can. :lol:

The recoil is readily handled while standing; it can be brutal from prone or from the bench. I always wondered why, when I was doing load development for these brutes, why I didn't have a place to stand to shoot them.

Ya' done good! I'm always glad to let someone else shoot these beasts. I've reached that stage of life that I don't feel constrained to prove anything.

I have shot the 460 Wby...you grin..err....I mean grimace after shooting it!
It is too much of a good thing for me. I prefer less recoil. The 458 is more manageable. I have not tried the Lott, but a friend has rechambered his 458 that I have shot.

I have also shot a friend's 510 Wells; the 460 necked up to .511 caliber shooting 700 grain bullets, and there is no other way to say it...it just plain hurts! And I mean really hurt So!!! Not something I need to ever do again.

I will stick to my 416 Taylor. My load is a 350 gr bullet at 2300 fps and is manageable. And it does not hurt from the bench, although you know you shot it.

I've shot some big guns and standing is way easier then off a bench. We shot light bullets through heavy guns but we killed quite a few bears with a .460 Weatherby and a 500 A-Square from a bench. These were 16lb guns shooting 250-300gr bullets 3300-3400fps so they weren't terrible from the bench. I have shot 500's through my 458 Lott from a bench and it is no fun at all but 250-300gr bullets, while still not what I consider fun, aren't too bad. To me a .458 caliber 300gr bullet seems to kicks less than a .338 300gr bullet. I've killed 5 elk, a couple deer (out to 450yds), and a cow moose with my .416 Rem shooting 300gr Barnes X's at 2960 and 350gr Speer mag tips at 2650fps. Big guns put the hurt on stuff.

When I touch the bottom of the bolt,that's skin I'm removing. When it looks like I'm looking at the stock,I'm not,looking at my first knuckle on my trigger finger,it's bleeding from the bolt pounding the finger.

Actually,it makes a darn good rabbit rifle.

Have it loaded down to where it will not pound the knuckle on the trigger finger.

gerry":1kejdjlu said:
I thought it would kick more, still comes back a lot though by the looks of it.
It has the Pendleton muzzle brake on it. Not the KDF style that is used now.

Blkram":2dwjatlz said:
I have shot the 460 Wby...you grin..err....I mean grimace after shooting it!
It is too much of a good thing for me. I prefer less recoil. The 458 is more manageable. I have not tried the Lott, but a friend has rechambered his 458 that I have shot.

I have also shot a friend's 510 Wells; the 460 necked up to .511 caliber shooting 700 grain bullets, and there is no other way to say it...it just plain hurts! And I mean really hurt So!!! Not something I need to ever do again.

I will stick to my 416 Taylor. My load is a 350 gr bullet at 2300 fps and is manageable. And it does not hurt from the bench, although you know you shot it.

Gil. the 416 Taylor is a nice caliber. I was never comfortable with anything above the 375 H & H and I tried the 404 Jeff, 416 Taylor and 416 Rigby.

Elkhunterm --nice looking rifle but waaaay out of my league

talking about chuckles, grins and---- TEARS,---- I owned a 375 H & H double which resides at the bottom of the Zambezi river just above Victoria falls. As upset as I was, I had to give my husband credit for not getting mad and in fact he kept saying, "settle down, it is not brain cancer, it is replaceable". The next day was when I tried the Rigby, Taylor and Jeffery and used a 416 Rigby, but they were all uncomfortable for me, therefore i can not even imagine touching off a 460 weatherby

Europe,a .460 can be loaded from .45/70 levels all the way up to what the factory loads do. Someone told me "Handload it to where you can handle the rifle,then go hunt with it." And that's what I did.

A .375 H&H is never a bad choice for Africa and nearly all of the world.

Winchester M 70 SS .375 H&H,Weaver 3x, using 270 gr Swift A-Frame.

Just looking at that 460 is giving me detached retinas lol. I'd give it a shot standing, but no way would I touch that beast off from a bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man those big thumpers off the bench are brutal :shock: I shot a 500 Nitro once & a 458 a few times and it is like getting smacked with a baseball bat.
I shot the 375 Hurt & Hurt for many years so I was used to a thump but not like those first 2 brutes.

Blessings,
Dan

rjm158":yf8dubh7 said:
Should make a good prairie dog or coyote gun :shock: [emoji38] (y)
You must be an honor graduate of the Elmer Keith School of Bigger is Better.

Magna cum Loudnboomer
[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Good post, 41magnut. Welcome aboard. Always glad to see people who are able to see the humor in life posting here.

Back