Just getting into reloading and need some help

Frankie 2 Times

Beginner
May 22, 2006
I've finally decided that its time for me to get into reloading. What I know about reloading isn't much, so I'll be asking alot of questions... and hopefully not too many dumb ones.

First, looking for suggestions on a good video and reference manuals on how to get started. For lack of a better phrase, I'm a reloading moron. So instructional videos need to be geared for beginners.

I've decided to purchase the Rock Chucker Master Supreme Kit. I've heard that the scale leaves something to be desired and I'll also need a trimmer. Any suggestions on replacements/upgrades? Besides brass, powder, primers and bullets, what else will I need to get started? I'll be loading 300 RUMs, so suggestions on powders and the like are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for helping get started.

F2T

Years ago I picked up an RCBS video called "Precisioneered Handloading". It is ok, but nothing spectacular. I think that the section in the front of most major reloading manuals is a great getting started reference as far as safety and what to expect when working up loads. If you are planning on loading Nosler bullets I would suggest picking up their manual.

the best tip i can give is find an experienced reloader and go watch him reload a couple boxes of shells

RCBS has a pretty good step-by-step guide on their site. I don't do everything they say, but then again, some of the steps they list can be accomplished using other methods. (For example, I'm using a progressive press instead of a single stage.) Note that the guide is pretty heavily biased towards RCBS gear, but this is understandable - it is their site, after all. :wink:

The guide (24 pages) starts at http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1& ... =15&s3=107

Most decent reloading manuals have a section in them detailing the entire reloading process.

You need to have two or three reloading manuals. You'll get one with your kit (you selected a good kit), The reloading manuals also have good pictured instructions, look at some of the manuals and select at least one additional manual. You will also need a good set of Calipers and a powder trickler. I don't think you'll have a problem using the scale that comes with the kit. Later on you may want to upgrade to an electronic scale.

Back