Kimber Montana .270 WSM

Aug 2, 2005
Ok learned riflemen...
I have a regular client (I've been a fishing guide for several years), that has quite an accumulation of hunting rifles. He is approaching the "golden years" and thinning the collection. I have an opportunity to acquire a newer Kimber Montana in .270 WSM, topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5X10X44 for $1000. This seems to fit the bill for a lightweight rifle to compliment the Model 7 I have coming from Mike... I sold my Bennelli M-1 and have the cash.

My question to you is, how are these rifles? Never saw or shot one... They look nice. I am looking for opinions, pro or con...

Thanks! PS...We DO catch some nice bass up here... :grin:

003B.jpg

IMGP07011.jpg

I owned and worked loads for a few. Totally disappointed in the accuracy department

I haven't done a huge amount of work with my .325, but it seems to shoot pretty well with Winchester factory loads. The stock does a fantastic job of handling recoil.

For $1k, with that scope, I'd be one it like flies on do-do, if for nothing else than trading stock.

I believe they are a pretty solid rifle, the Zeiss on top is worth a few bucks as well. I would take a real good look at it as BK stated it may be good trading stock if nothing else.

Blessings,
Dan

Kimber had some QC issues a few years back. It turned out the problem was a minor fix. However, it exposed a serious customer service issue. The CS was less than enviable. The new ones appear to be well built.

Yeah, I would be all over that rifle for 1000.00 bucks! I love the 270WSM, ALOT! I think the newer Kimber's shoot pretty darned well, and I wouldn't be scared to have one.

I don't think you would regret a 270WSM at all. It is alot of cartridge and that rifle would make one awesome performer.

With the Zeiss on top, that is a very sweet deal.

BK":2a0mila3 said:
For $1k, with that scope, I'd be one it like flies on do-do, if for nothing else than trading stock.

Or a retube to 7 WSM.

DrMike":1c6rjvek said:
Kimber had some QC issues a few years back. It turned out the problem was a minor fix. However, it exposed a serious customer service issue. The CS was less than enviable. The new ones appear to be well built.

Doc. Both of mine went back for a fix and they still shot like poop.

This was about 4 years ago.

I have been shopping for a gift for a family member, as she wants to enjoy the sport of hunting. I had considered the Kimber 48 in .270wsm (or .270 Win.), but most dealers told me they no longer sell that rifle line. Other than that, I have no experience.

Still looking,

Jim

Fotis,

We were the Canadian repair depot. Multiple barrels Kimber supplied were replaced changing the groups from three inches to two and a half inches. When the rifles were sent back to Kimber, they were returned and shot three inch groups again, along with a note telling us we didn't know how to shoot as there was nothing wrong. Ultimately, it turned out that the crown was not true. The response of the company and their inclination to blame multiple owners as the problem put me off on Kimbers.

I've had several older Kimbers...shot fantastic.

At $1K....with a $500 Zeiss on top, I'd take the gamble.

Fixing the accuracy issue (if it has one) is as easy as re-barreling to the WSM of your choice or having it recrowned. The Kimber 8400 series of action is fantastic and they built the '06 family on them for a while (may have used a longer version of the 8400 though, someone else may know)

As mentioned, factory CS is terrible.

hodgeman":15p9upy9 said:
At $1K....with a $500 Zeiss on top, I'd take the gamble.

Fixing the accuracy issue (if it has one) is as easy as re-barreling to the WSM of your choice or having it recrowned. The Kimber 8400 series of action is fantastic and they built the '06 family on them for a while (may have used a longer version of the 8400 though, someone else may know)

As mentioned, factory CS is terrible.

Like Fotis, we were very disappointed

However the above post makes sense. The scope is worth half the price and if it dont shoot well, re-barrel it or as others have mentioned use it for trading stock.. On the other hand it might be one that does shoot well and for 1 grand with the scope being worth half of that, one way or the other you should be fine.

And btw sir, your right, nice Bass

Another vote against the Kimber rifle and especially their customer service. But for that price how can you lose, as several have stated keep the scope and rework or sell/trade the gun--"if" it dont work for you. As mentioned by hodgeman, his worked well and maybe this one will also. If I bought it I would change it anyway as I am not a WSM fan. I also agree with A, very nice fish you caught, I will have to consider heading your way one day for some Bass fishing

hunternyny":f9w9k19g said:
Another vote against the Kimber rifle and especially their customer service. But for that price how can you lose, as several have stated keep the scope and rework or sell/trade the gun--"if" it dont work for you. As mentioned by hodgeman, his worked well and maybe this one will also. If I bought it I would change it anyway as I am not a WSM fan. I also agree with A, very nice fish you caught, I will have to consider heading your way one day for some Bass fishing

Aye, my dilemma is the good price...and I am fond of Conquests...
We have an excellent GSmith 45 mins from home and I believe the owner of the rifle will let me take it to the range. I do have some .270 Nosler bullets but would have to buy dies/brass...no big deal... I am thinking I will at least shoot some factory loads and see how she groups... :wink:

Bass fishing is really good and NO ONE is ever on the water with us...

DSC_0031.jpg

Man those are some nice fish.

Other food for thought...many (not all) of the unacceptable groups I've heard and seen folks talk about with the Kimber are in the 1"-3" range. While not in vogue today, particularly among a bunch of rifle snobs (like me), that level of accuracy will consistently knock a lot of venison on the ground. Not that long ago a rifle that consistently shot 2" groups was a treasured heirloom. Should it shoot better? yep. Is it the end of the world if it won't- maybe not.

Not to give Kimber a pass on their crappy CS, but a smoking hot deal on a lightweight 270WSM with a spendy scope that "only" groups 2.5" isn't that bad from a field perspective, particularly if a $50 crown job will tighten it right up.

I'd buy it and re-barrel if necessary. That is a great action, great scope, and good stock. You could re-barrel it for about what it would cost to buy the whole rig new.

My Browning 270WSM I had shot great with the 140gr AB and H4831, and my 270 win likes the same powder and bullet. It might be a place to start if you do get the rifle. Terminal performance has been excellent with that bullet also.

Tell you what, Tom. Buy it, keep the scope. If you don't like the Kimber, I'll buy it from you for $500! :)

Back