Kinda proud of this target.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Doesn't belong in the reloading section, so I put it here.

Been practicing open sight shooting with my lever 22. Makes for cheap practice and I can do it here at the house. Mostly just been taking 2 shots a day on different days. Evenings or whenever I get a chance, that way I have no muscle memory or sight picture memory from the shots before. Started out at 35 yds, then moved back to 50 once I got myself tuned up.

Today I loaded 10 in the tube and moved back to 100 yds. Sitting in the middle of the field propped off my knees.......no back support or sling support. Seated is how I take 90% of my shots in the woods, although usually have some back support against a tree.

Was shooting at a 9" plate. Wasn't checking shots at all so I had no idea if I was hitting the plate or not, just was trying to do the same thing every time. Was holding high to compensate for drop. Held too high overall apparently, but 9 of the 10 were in the plate, with the 10'th being just high. Target doesn't look like much when you're used to bench shooting, but propped off your knees only, with irons on a rifle with just a 15" sight radius is a whole different ballgame at 100 yds. At least for me.

The 9 that are in the plate measure 5.25" H X 5.75" W.

Pic of the 22 from today. Great practice.

I'd say that is pretty good. With my aged eyes, it would be awesome. Scopes are demanded if I want to make things actually work. Congratulations, and that is some great practise.

I'd say that is pretty good. With my aged eyes, it would be awesome. Scopes are demanded if I want to make things actually work. Congratulations, and that is some great practise.

With a 22 and a short sight radius, it's good for me also. It's a little bit like the Mike Tyson quote.....everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face. Lol. That's what open sight shooting in just a seated field position at 100 yds is for me. Sounds easy in my mind until I actually sit down to do it. Not easy!! Ha.

That's a great target, in my opinion. I have seen 22 vary in power levels from box to box in the same lot (looking at you Fiocci) so having one drift out is not such a big deal in my opinion; especially at that range.

Also, that's a great way to practice. The deer I shot last season was at just about 104 yards, so what you did would be all the better for some people or some circumstances.

Rats! Think I just talked myself into getting a 22 lever rifle...:sneaky:

Good practice sessions!

I use paper plates frequently as my training targets for hunting season. I figure whatever the maximum range I can hit the plate at is my limit for hunting. Or at least from that shooting position.

Ha! I was just shooting my 7mm Rem Mag with the factory Ruger sights two days ago. Did just fine with that setup. It's fun to go to sights sometimes.

Regards, Guy

That's a great target, in my opinion. I have seen 22 vary in power levels from box to box in the same lot (looking at you Fiocci) so having one drift out is not such a big deal in my opinion; especially at that range.

Also, that's a great way to practice. The deer I shot last season was at just about 104 yards, so what you did would be all the better for some people or some circumstances.

Rats! Think I just talked myself into getting a 22 lever rifle...:sneaky:

Go ahead and get one. They are a lot of fun. Ha. I practice a good bit this way because it's the primary way I hunt. When I was younger I don't think I needed to as much. Now if I spend all my time on the bench, come hunting season those deer seem to be smaller and wobble around on my stationary crosshairs when I line up on them in a field position. Lol.

I killed a buck and doe in the woods last yr and one was a touch over 100 yds, and one just under. Standing leaning off the side of a tree. Got it done but was wobbling more than I'd of liked and they both were in tight brush with not much of a hole. Especially the buck. I was back at that spot later and looking it over and think the good Lord must of guided that bullet in on the buck. Don't think I could be asked to make that shot again, and I know I wasn't that steady, but it worked out.

Back