Knife sharpeners

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I don't know that much about knives or the different reasons for different edges. What do you guys use to sharpen your knives. Convex bevel or straight angle? What's the pro/con of each? I'm having an debate between the Ken Onion Worksharp belt sander style or going with a Lansky system.

What's your thoughts?

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I have the 5 stone Lanksy system, it does work quite well :wink:. My nephew this fall has started to use a belt type system knives are sharper & it takes half the time.
I am hoping to get him to teach a old dog a new trick before hunting next fall :mrgreen:.
I too hope to hear from some of our members on their experiences.

PS. I am also really looking at going to the replacement blade knives as well.

Blessings,
Dan

If your cutting a lot of meat for a living the belt sander is probably for you but you will ware the blade out faster sharpening it since it cuts metal fast.
I have an old Lansky which I have used since the 1980's and it does a good job for me. Not as fast or as fancy as some of the newer sharpeners out there but will put the proper angle on the blade for getting that long lasting edge if the quality of the steel used in the blade is up to par.
After getting the blade sharp enough to grab my finger nail when I lightly touch it with the edge I make a few strokes on a hard Arkansas stone too polish the edge and get the hair popping effect when you shave your arm with it. You have your choice of 4 angles and you can choose which one you prefer for the work you will be doing.
You can watch all the U-tube videos about the others and see where they don't recommend the Lansky and say it isn't any good but if it didn't work it still wouldn't be around and most of these guys on the videos are selling a product and only supporting what they are paid to. JMO

I have both a ken onion and a Lansky. I use the K.O for the kitchen and our fillet knifes at our Alaska lodge.

For those purposes the KO is fantastic. As advertised one or two swipes will give you a sharp knife. A good quality steel kept handy will get you through a busy afternoon of filleting salmon.

My better half is very active in the kitchen, lots of chopping, slicing and dicing. The kitchen knifes last about a month with the occasional touch up on the steel.

I also ran my hunting knifes on the KO. Didn't like the results. Took me two knifes to skin and quarter an elk. With the Lansky I generally will get two elk on one knife unless they are very muddy. I also don't have 110 available in deer or elk camp.
That being said, the KO is fast and easy, if you're not going to be fixing dull knifes remotely, or quartering more than an elk a day, it will give you a nice edge.
I would guess I fillet about 20 salmon, hit the knife with the steel, get 20 more. Something like that.
It was a PIA to return the KO edges to Lansky edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't cut meat for a living, but I do end up putting a knife to 10 or more big game critters a year usually. Most of the time I make sure my equipment is sharp before I leave the house so not having power in the field is not a big deal to me. I do carry a stone with me in the field for touch ups when needed.

I like the speed on the KO belt style, but I have plenty of time this time of year. Sitting by the fire with a nice whiskey and taking my time sounds like a pretty good way to make sure my knives are sharp.

I keep my Lansky in the drawer right by the wood stove. A wee dram, a good fire, the dogs lying nearby. Sharpening good hunting knifes ain't much of a chore

I also like that you can put the right angle on the blade with the Lansky For different jobs. My kitchen knives get a different angle than my hunting blades and with the edge wrecker(wife) using them they hold their edge longer. She tends to cut things in metal pans and ruin the edge, a habit I haven't been able to break her of even after 47yrs of marriage.

I really like the workshsrp, but most of my field work is done with a piranta

jmad_81":bk3ml44x said:
I don't know that much about knives or the different reasons for different edges. What do you guys use to sharpen your knives. Convex bevel or straight angle? What's the pro/con of each? I'm having an debate between the Ken Onion Worksharp belt sander style or going with a Lansky system.

What's your thoughts?

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Jake, I love the Worksharp. Works well, it's fast and creates a great edge.

you guys with the Lansky sharpeners . do you have the regular stone ones , or the diamond one ? the reason I ask is I have a Lansky knock off made by Gatco that has the diamond files . Denise has a Lansky that has the stone files . I really think I get a better edge using the stone one .

I do admit I have 2 nice hunting knives that I just can't seem to get an edge on . I'm going to send them back and let the company sharpen them for me .

Dan , I have a havalon knife . it is very nice to be able to put in a new blade and keep cutting . boy it's scary though changing the blades . they fit tight , not much to get a hold of , they are surgical blades . very , very sharp . I did just notice the other day , while looking for replacement blades , there is a tool now to help changing the Havalon blades , midway usa has the tool . my next order I'll get one . I'm just not sure how good it would be for field work though , the blades break easily . when you break one off , you have to be extra careful until you find the broken piece of blade . I'd say it's the most dangerous knife I have .

I have yet to break a blade on a dozen big game animals. The trick is you can't use it like a conventional knife. If your breaking blades your prying way too much. I use my always present leatherman to swap blades

jimbires":3e69n6r2 said:
you guys with the Lansky sharpeners . do you have the regular stone ones , or the diamond one ? the reason I ask is I have a Lansky knock off made by Gatco that has the diamond files . Denise has a Lansky that has the stone files . I really think I get a better edge using the stone one .

I do admit I have 2 nice hunting knives that I just can't seem to get an edge on . I'm going to send them back and let the company sharpen them for me .

Dan , I have a havalon knife . it is very nice to be able to put in a new blade and keep cutting . boy it's scary though changing the blades . they fit tight , not much to get a hold of , they are surgical blades . very , very sharp . I did just notice the other day , while looking for replacement blades , there is a tool now to help changing the Havalon blades , midway usa has the tool . my next order I'll get one . I'm just not sure how good it would be for field work though , the blades break easily . when you break one off , you have to be extra careful until you find the broken piece of blade . I'd say it's the most dangerous knife I have .
Mine was made back in the 1980's and I only have 3 stones for it but have been considering getting 1 diamond and one super fine. The diamond for getting a quick angle on the blade and a super fine for finishing to get that razor sharp edge so I don't have to stone.

Thebear_78":1fgmabli said:
I have yet to break a blade on a dozen big game animals. The trick is you can't use it like a conventional knife. If your breaking blades your prying way too much. I use my always present leatherman to swap blades

I've noticed that as soon as I twist the Havalon a little I break the blade . I'm learning to kind of swipe at it instead of plowing through .

truck driver":10w5gpj7 said:
jimbires":10w5gpj7 said:

Mine was made back in the 1980's and I only have 3 stones for it but have been considering getting 1 diamond and one super fine. The diamond for getting a quick angle on the blade and a super fine for finishing to get that razor sharp edge so I don't have to stone.

I think I have the extra fine , I'll have to look for sure . I do have one for the serrated blade .

I have a Lansky sharpener and really like it. It can take sometime to correct improper angles on the edges or severely used knives, but once you get the edges right touch-ups only take a few minutes and the knife is back in business. One thing I bought extra that really helps is the Super C clamp they sell so you can attach it to a bench, table, or counter. It makes the who process a lot easier and simpler.

David

Jim, I use a pliers to change Havalon blades. I don't think I'd spend the money on a tool to do it when a pliers, or better yet a vice grips, would do the trick.

I use the Barracuta (fillet knife) for most of my butchering work. I also have the smaller Piranta. The smaller one is the nastier one for changing blades, but the pliers seems to do the job nicely.

I use a WorkSharp Ken Onion for everything else and am pleased with it. I actually resharpened Havalon blades with it, believe it or not. Didn't want to put on a new blade to skin, so I slicked up the dull one on the knife and went to work. ;)

jimbires":1igj8nn0 said:
truck driver":1igj8nn0 said:
jimbires":1igj8nn0 said:

I think I have the extra fine , I'll have to look for sure . I do have one for the serrated blade .

That was going to be my next question. Diamond or not? I like the idea of using the diamond for the initial pass then switching up to the regular sharpeners and finishing with a super fine one.

Diamond is good for cutting lots of metal quickly like putting a new angle on the blade but the stones are the only way to go to finish up the angle and put a sharp edge on (JMO). I presently don't have a diamond and only use stones though I have used someone else's to show them how to use it. I also have quite a few bench stones both commercial and natural I used before I got the Lansky and use them to finish off or touch up the blade. I have a diamond steel in the kitchen I use on the wife's knives when they need touching up but mine only see a stone when needed since I like to polish the edge and not remove metal like the diamond does.

I've got a Lansky and flat hate it. Takes me forever to get a good edge on anything with a harder stainless alloy type blade.

It works fine for my carbon steel knives though.

For field use, I've just went to the Havalon and love it. I haven't broken any blades in three years of heavy use (12-15 critters a year). You just have to use it like what it is- a scalpel.

I sharpen my Benchmades at the local knife makers- that steel is so hard to get an edge on. He has a large diameter buffing wheel and can make one ridiculously sharp and that usually does me for a year of run of the mill use.

Most high end steels are such a pain to sharpen I don't even try anymore.

Back