A Knife that will not sharpen---

DrMike":qcx0fw1g said:
Troy,

Buck will sharpen your knife and at a reasonable cost to you. I've found them to be great people to deal with.

Exactly!
It sounds like it need a new edge.
I have a Buck Woodsman that I would put a razor edge on and it could do a couple of deer before the edge needed to be touched up. I also use leather on the edge to take off any burs and give it a razor sharp edge.

JD338

Regarding your comment about every other brand being produced in China..........

I have a few Cutco knives. The "Double-D" blades are nice, but I prefer the plain edge. Last I checked, still made in the Good Ole US of A. These knives are so damned hard that i have gutted 7-8 deer, skinned them out, and the knives will still shave the hair off my arm, without touching up the edge. I don't even try sharpening them anymore -- you'll ruin your sharpening tools !!

When they no longer shave, i send them back for $6 (includes shipping from Canada), and they come back razor sharp again.
And yes, they are quite expensive, but go back and read your old adages, "You get what you pay for." Life time guarantee. I "pinged" a chunk out of one on a moose's neck once - semi-abuse. Replaced it, questions asked. (The young lady said I just had to tell her how I did it -- she'd never seen that before!)

Great product!

3deers- they look like nice knives. Hand a chance to get it dull again....helping butcher 3 deer for other fellas in our party. The edge lasted about one front quarter and then I switched to another knife. As for me, (thanks for the good wishes) Everything I saw was departing on a dead run. Decided not to shoot as those shots are hard on my average. :) As grandpa used to say, "Well, we had us an outing anyway..." Will send the knife back to Buck and see what they can do with it. CL

This is exactly why we are still using the now almost impossible to find regular old " carbon steel"
Knives.......... Stainless steel knives made by anyone
For us seam to sharpen OK to the "wire edge" level
Ok with ALOT of the carbide sharpeners, we prefer
AccuSharps, but when you want a razor sharp knife
It less than thirty seconds, without a whole array of specialized gear, your not going to have in the field
Good olde carbon steel still works the best for us!
I still prefer an Old Timer 1940 T for a pocket
Knife and have used them for 50 years to rip beaver
Off on the ice go letting the paunch out of a good many
Whitetail bucks and they have stood the test of time!

I have a gatco brand knife sharpener with the diamond stones , It's a lansky look a like . I've struggled to sharpen a couple of my knives with it . when I do get them feeling sharp , it doesn't take much use and they are dull . Denise has a gatco sharpener set with the regular stones . this year I used it . I got a good edge on my knives . the edge seemed to hold up pretty good too . I'm thinking the regular stones sharpen better than the diamond stones .

35 whelen , I think old timer was always a good knife . I've had many .

Yup- I carry an old 3 blade uncle henry whenever my pants are on. Never had a problem. I wonder how the new "Chinese" made ones are? CL

Back