Kodiak! Take the shot?

270gr TSX at 2900fps out of my 375 RUM, siess 3-9x40 conquest, not deep enough water to worry about. Bang flop!

I gota get in the same wagon with POP and JD338 on this one.

A .338 caliber Partition bullet weighing 250 grains would be my first choice for that bear. Either fired from a .338 Win. Mag or a Wby .340 will do the trick here.

My advice, use a big bullet for a big bear!

My 0.02,

Jim

Should be no elevation or windage at that distance unless you are throwing rocks. Just poke him a little back from the near shoulder so that you break the far shoulder and then walk over and pick him up. On a $15,000 hunt the guide will be far more happy if he is dead there than wandering up on the bank, they can disappear on the bank in an instant. Off your knee or on a couple of packs would work fine. :grin: :grin:

375 H&H with a 270 gr. TSX. It is zeroed at 200 yards so no elevation. I wouldn't worry about the 5" windage, just hold on and shoot.

Bob

375RUM 260gr. A/B 3080 fps. 5500 FPE via the 4.5-14x42 Zeiss bdc cranked to 200 yds with me laying down shooting across my back pack . The 458 lott with 350 gr. TSX at 2730 fps. 5700 FPE dead on with the 2.5-10 Nikon Monarch would be my second choice only because it would take longer to get a second shot off, if needed.
Now if this was a hunting magazine question I'd have to hold the shot untill the bear got out of the river because a salmon might jump up in the way just as I shot and deflect the bullet and I don't have a salmon punch card :lol:

Great conversation! A topic that could get quite a few differing opinions...here's mine:

"To clear the tall grass, you have to get higher than prone."

I would use a bipod (taller than prone--mine is for sitting or even kneeling) or a shooting stick.

“Take the shot or not? Tell me about your rifle, scope & load. Shot placement? Elevation data? Windage?”

Yes, I’d take the shot. Winchester Model 70, McMillan Stock, Timney Trigger, 338 Win Mag shooting 210 Grain Nosler Partitions (yes, lighter than the 225 but I am really accurate w/this round ~ .6 MOA—Again, it comes down to confidence). It is topped w/a Zeiss 3.5-10X44 Z600 reticle. I wouldn’t worry about wind at 15MPH. Slight drift, yes, significant, no. Gun is zeroed at 200. I’d aim it toward the boilermaker.

How about your shooting position? Sitting—I have a TON of practice in this position. Lots of Coyotes taken from this position. I would not shot an animal standing w/out the use of a shooting stick. I don’t have the talent, confidence or insurance that it would be a clean, semi-clean kill over 100 yards. It pains me to see people do that (that’s putting it politely).

“Do you think a guide would be happy with a 175 yard shot at a bear out in the water?”
That would be a question I’d ask the guide before the shot. I’m assuming he would be standing next to me. It also depends on the law. I know in some states, you can’t shoot an animal in the water. I am unfamiliar w/Alaska’s hunting regs. If it is legal and the guide wasn’t absolute dead set on “NO”…then BANG! A variable missing in this scenario is the price (yes, something’s do come down to $$$$). I’ll be the one to say it. If I am paying $10K for a Kodiak hunt (example purposes, I don’t know how much something like that would cost w/a 1 on 1 guide) and the guide thinks I should pass up the shot because of additional “work” to pull it out of the drink, BANG!

Now, I wouldn’t be taking crappy shots (shots I don’t have confidence in as stated above). That has nothing to do with $$$$. That is just plain ol’ hunting INTEGRITY and ETHICS.

Figured I’d be clear so there aren’t any misinterpretations.

Well,,,,, the decision to shoot or not would depend on the time I had to hunt with. If time was short, I would take the shot. Although if I could close the distance, I would abit. If I had time to work around untill he's out of the water I would. I would for sure wait til the angle is such to take out at least one shoulder on entry or exit. What I have currently for such task. is a 9.3x74R, and load it 286 gr NP's.

Dave

Good thoughts here guys - I was surprised to see this thread re-surface! :grin:

Gotta do something while waiting for hunting season to arrive... Might as well talk and think about hunting!

Guy

I have the poke, a .340 Wea Mag with 250 AB's. At 175 yards, windage with that bullet would only be maybe a 1 inch affair. Put the AccuBond into the wind, off the shoulder and break the back one. You will get at least one lung and some collateral damage to the circulatory system if you hit the high shoulder joint on the other side.

Shoot in sitting postion for grass (good to 350 or so) and let the AB find its 1.5 inch group at that range and bite that bear! Chances are that the bear will spin on an off-balanced shoulder hit. Be ready to dump another into the other shoulder, as soon as the bear comes around to bite the wound and you can respond. I am late and bored also.

300 wby mag with 180 gr ABs. Scope is set at 200 yds, init vel is around 3100, with about 3100 FPE at 175 yds... Shot would be behind the front shoulder, and aiming through to the opposite side shoulder. I am about 3/4" high at 175, so I doubt that I would worry about drop. I would be ready for a quick follow-up if necessary. Scope is a 3x12 Kahless.

If the guide was ok with the bear in water, then I would take the shot. Else, I would wait. Rest would be kneeling with either sticks. or on my backpack.

Hardpan

Now, if I could just get in place to take that shot!

Back