Land Owners...

I have not posted on this or trespassing becauseing being from Iowa the Worst I have ever seen are Farmers, and yes the neighbor's they know who allows hunting and those who don't and when you are away.
I quit hunting with my Father Inlaw because he is 85 years old and believes if he saw someone else hunting some place it is ok to hunt there, and other friends who are Farmers I know when there neighbors are gone and think it's ok, and what you don't know won't hurt you.
I respect people's land and there rights period. I would expect this if I owned it from other's people period.

Stoy Asmussen Dubuque IA

Interesting point, it was neighbors that were the the trespassers my boss had to send certified letters to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran into this very issue while grouse hunting timber industry land in Wisconsin that I had inventoried the previous summer. I was very well aware of the specifics of the property and gated access, etc. The forestry road I was travelling crossed a corner of a private parcel, and was open to any public use legal on the industry land i.e. hunting in this case, but only as a travel corridor to the public land. The landowner in turn was allowed (different from entitled) to utilize the road for access and maintenance of his property. The gate was unlocked during hunting season, and carried a married lock the remainder of the year. A sign at the gate described the situation, but it was usually vandalized beyond recognition. After he found out who my employer was, the landowner was extremely apologetic, no doubt fearing he would lose his access to the road. Wonder how many lawful hunters he discouraged from using this very public road to access lawful public hunting property.

This situation is very common on industry lands in the Midwest. Tax incentives are offered to the companies to keep the lands open to public hunting. They DO own the roads in most cases, but allow access. Many private parcels are interspersed with the industry land, often with either deeded access on the industry roads or using them by lease or implied consent. You need to be fluent in platt bookeze and infrared satellite imagery to know for sure which no-trespassing signs you can ignore on either side of a 2-track logging road. In some cases, the landowner owns the section of road, and the company has obtained easement to use it for forestry operations. In this case, a "private road" sign may legally be posted.

Our policy was always that adjoining owners had standing permission, but not the people they had let on their land. It was a different time, I guess.

Back