Lapua Brass

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I was wondering about just how good this brass is? Any one here use it? I'm thinking about picking up 50 pieces of 30-06 brass and necking it up to 35 Whelen and then fire forming it to 35 Whelen AI. I can buy it for less than Nosler or Norma 35 Whelen brass.

Lapua is THE BEST available in my opinion. Quite honestly it's all I'd run and aim to if it is available for my cartridges.

I use Lapua whenever it is available. Scotty is correct--it is among the best, if not the best brass available.

If I could get Lapua brass for all my rifles that's the only kind I would use. Not available in 300 WM. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.
Does anyone use it to make other calibers ? Fire forming for Wild Cats?

TD,
I agree with the others, terrific brass.
A word of caution though, start a little lower on the workup with it as it seems to be a bit thicker. I figure you know that anyway but thought I'd mention it.
FWIW, RWS is really terrific brass also but expensive. Although the expense is relative as what I have I've not been able to wear out yet. (nothing wrong with Nosler brass though as all I have used has worked well :grin: )

Dwh Huntington's is out of RWS 300 WM brass right now, but I think I'm going to give some a try when they get their next shipment in. Good to hear you like it!

Dwh7271":ow5q8fzo said:
TD,
I agree with the others, terrific brass.
A word of caution though, start a little lower on the workup with it as it seems to be a bit thicker. I figure you know that anyway but thought I'd mention it.
FWIW, RWS is really terrific brass also but expensive. Although the expense is relative as what I have I've not been able to wear out yet. (nothing wrong with Nosler brass though as all I have used has worked well :grin: )
I checked out the RWS brass on Huntington and it's the same price as Lapua which is still cheaper than Nosler first brass.

Lapua is great brass, no doubt, but for your purpose I'm going to steer you in a different direction. PRVI partizan brass. In 30-06, it is fairly thick, but well annealed out of the box. It is very high quality in terms of longevity and consistency. Only issue I've ever had was a slight burr at the primer pocket, easily removed with a chamfer tool. Can't beat the price either. Just checked my usual sources, and it seems to be unavailable. Lapua should work fine. You might also try Greek military. Thick, relatively ductile brass and widely available. I could send you a sample to try.

Joel,
I think you'll like the RWS. It's tough stuff.

Forgot about PRVI. I run it in my 6.5-06. It is good brass also and pretty inexpensive. Good call Polaris.

I use RWS for my 8X68S and for my 9.3X64. I do like the brass a lot. Funny how the European brass seems superior to American made brass. Or is that my imagination because I pay more?

joelkdouglas":21piymwn said:
If I could get Lapua brass for all my rifles that's the only kind I would use. Not available in 300 WM. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding, they are really missing out by not making it.

Back