Large Pistol/ Magnum Primers.

Handloader
May 30, 2009
Just wondering how many of you use LPM primers for loads of W296 and H110. I believe I use to use Winchester LP primers.I know that is all I ever used with 2400 in .41 and .44 mag.

I believe the Winchester primers are labeled Standard or Magnum.

.405":25xfx2zh said:
I believe the Winchester primers are labeled Standard or Magnum.

Yes they are. I use the Win LP primers in my 45ACP (Bullseye) and 44mag (2400, Unique, and now H110).

I always use mag primers for my H-110 loads in any cartridge. The primers that say "standard or magnum" are considered mag primers to me. Otherwise I use primers labeled Mag.

Dont know very much about pistols but I'll throw in what I've read from a few guys and books/magazines.

With H-110 you need to use a magnum primer reguardless. I have heard from a couple people that you dont need to use a mag primer and in fact is not recomended for #2400 powder even with top end loads. I've also read/heard that it is a good idea to use a mag primer with top end loads when using w296, accurate # 7 and 9 and probly a few others.

I thought the only way to get away with using standard primers was if you were using unique or bullseye with cast bullets since there reduced power loads, and supposedly when using #2400 powder.

Right now I am using CCI Large pistold mags with my 210g SP's using H-110. I also have some 215g cast bullets I will probly load using H-110 and the LPM's as well, but if I had some unique I would probly use a standard primer and save the mags for the serious work.

I looked and looked for information reguarding this because I was having trouble locating mag primers. I just wanted the right primer for the right situation. Pistols seem to be a little more finicky/picky with what you can/cant do versus a rifle I've found.

Let me be a little more specific.
I use Mag primers in my .44 Mag with both H110 and W296. I know they are supposed to be the same powder, but I get much better groups with the W296. :?:

I also use CCI small pistol Mag primer in my .357 Mag with 2400. Shoots GREAT groups with the 158 Nolsers.

Antelope_Sniper":2teliv13 said:
Let me be a little more specific.
I use Mag primers in my .44 Mag with both H110 and W296. I know they are supposed to be the same powder, but I get much better groups with the W296. :?:

I also use CCI small pistol Mag primer in my .357 Mag with 2400. Shoots GREAT groups with the 158 Nolsers.

I have also had better luck with 296.I used it so much that I totally ragged out a 629.You could take the gun and shake it in your hand and it would rattle.I feel much more comfortable using heavy doses of it in my Redhawks.
Those guns are built hell for strong.You won't shoot them loose.

I accidentally bought a brick of Small pistol Standard or Magnum primers for my 40 or 9mm with W231. Should I just use the starting load and use them??

JT.

jtoews80":2g0tdy6d said:
I accidentally bought a brick of Small pistol Standard or Magnum primers for my 40 or 9mm with W231. Should I just use the starting load and use them??

JT.

The Win primers are fine for either.I have never had to use reduced loads for any of the calibers.

Back