Largest Wyoming Whitetail for me

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
My good friend Dan, took me out last Monday and Tuesday to hunt. His willingness and initiative to do this is appreciated beyond words. I’ve been getting a bad case of cabin fever, since I’m in a cast, I cannot put weight on it, and I cannot walk or drive. On Monday, we went into some public land around the Kaycee area to look for a cow elk. Of course we saw elk on a piece of private land in my zone, but nothing on the public, state or BLM land. During the afternoon of that Monday, he said, “well would you like to go after whitetail tomorrow?”
You already know what my answer was. We called the landowner, who has a small piece of property outside of Story, Wyoming. The deer there are quite small in size, and typically there’s an over population of them. I had my general tag, and a doe tag. Dan had three tags.
I have a disability exemption, through the end of this year, that allows me to hunt out of a vehicle or shoot out of a vehicle. Obviously, I cannot shoot from a interstate, state road, or County Road. Dan’s truck, became my hunting blind.
Being in the passenger seat, works pretty good for a left-handed shooter. I’ve only killed one mule deer buck several years ago (Under 600 yards) with my clone XP-100, chambered in 6.5-284. It has a Borden Alpine action, 17 inch Brux Barrel, Holland Radial Baffle brake, McMillan Stock, and a Dell trigger. I shoot the Nosler 140 grain AccuBond at 2784 ft./s
This specialty pistol shoots ragged holes, and just shoots amazing at every distance I’ve ever shot it.
I have a PRS pillow bag, and I thought it would make a good rest to wedge in between a rearview mirror, or to put on top of the window sill of Dan’s truck. Holding the gun with my left hand, I will put my right hand on top of the optic and push down to get a tight hold. I have shot this way many times.
AD597389-E470-4A12-8C0E-C8AA3F1ADE7E.jpeg
I usually hunt this area with a 357 magnum revolver or one of my Pachmayr Dominators, but I needed to seal the deal, from a gun that is easier to shoot than either of those handguns.
At the end of the open area you see in the picture there is a continuing with of white snow that’s a little wider than a two track, and at the end of that is 220 yards.
15DDA0EE-AE76-4926-8318-25880C495EDF.jpeg
Dan has killed four elk with this pistol, so I needed to repent from neglecting it and give it some use myself😁
In a very quick amount of time a buck showed himself at 190 yards. I did not know the exact distance, but I knew that he was close to 200 yards and I knew how to adjust for that without touching a turret.
I double shoulder shot him, and he leapt forward at the shot and made it 10 to 15 feet before he died.
E06446A4-087D-4C87-B119-15EF71DA20B0.jpeg
Of course Dan is the one that had to go to the animal and gut him, and get him into the vehicle.
Once we got back out on a little private drive area, he opened up the back of the vehicle, and I very carefully with my crutches through about 4 inches of snow went and got up on the back of the truck.
034E7237-E95C-44DC-A45F-FEEDC1ABA541.jpeg
Dan took a couple deer in the afternoon with his 357 magnum revolver, both over 100 yards. It was a wonderful two days being out with a good friend.
I get my cast off on December 1, and then will go into a walking boot. My anticipation for that day is very high.

Excellent account of a richly deserved opportunity to hunt and a true blessing from a friend. Congratulations. That is a beautiful animal who has donated his genes for the future. Good job! (y)

Absolutely great story, and what a buddy!! But he wouldn’t carry you on his back so you didn’t have to get snow on your slipper???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He would have tried and probably would have made it, but with slippery conditions, and me being quite a bit bigger than him, I would have never let him attempt it. Much safer with the the crutches 💥

One does not truly appreciate what a privilege it is to hunt, until you have to rely on a friend to get it done. So glad to see that you got out Ernie! What a nice Buck to boot! Wishing you and your friend all the best. CL

PS- I've done the hunt on crutches thing. If the snow is deep enough, it actually helps keep the crutches in place. It also softens the landing when you fall on your butt. Glad to hear you are getting out of the plaster soon. Cant find the photo, but when I was a kid, Dad cut a small coffee can to fit over my toes when in one of my casts. Duck tape held it on. A little more durable than your slipper, but not as warm for the toes ;). CL

Last edited:
My good friend Dan, took me out last Monday and Tuesday to hunt. His willingness and initiative to do this is appreciated beyond words. I’ve been getting a bad case of cabin fever, since I’m in a cast, I cannot put weight on it, and I cannot walk or drive. On Monday, we went into some public land around the Kaycee area to look for a cow elk. Of course we saw elk on a piece of private land in my zone, but nothing on the public, state or BLM land. During the afternoon of that Monday, he said, “well would you like to go after whitetail tomorrow?”
You already know what my answer was. We called the landowner, who has a small piece of property outside of Story, Wyoming. The deer there are quite small in size, and typically there’s an over population of them. I had my general tag, and a doe tag. Dan had three tags.
I have a disability exemption, through the end of this year, that allows me to hunt out of a vehicle or shoot out of a vehicle. Obviously, I cannot shoot from a interstate, state road, or County Road. Dan’s truck, became my hunting blind.
Being in the passenger seat, works pretty good for a left-handed shooter. I’ve only killed one mule deer buck several years ago (Under 600 yards) with my clone XP-100, chambered in 6.5-284. It has a Borden Alpine action, 17 inch Brux Barrel, Holland Radial Baffle brake, McMillan Stock, and a Dell trigger. I shoot the Nosler 140 grain AccuBond at 2784 ft./s
This specialty pistol shoots ragged holes, and just shoots amazing at every distance I’ve ever shot it.
I have a PRS pillow bag, and I thought it would make a good rest to wedge in between a rearview mirror, or to put on top of the window sill of Dan’s truck. Holding the gun with my left hand, I will put my right hand on top of the optic and push down to get a tight hold. I have shot this way many times.
View attachment 18296
I usually hunt this area with a 357 magnum revolver or one of my Pachmayr Dominators, but I needed to seal the deal, from a gun that is easier to shoot than either of those handguns.
At the end of the open area you see in the picture there is a continuing with of white snow that’s a little wider than a two track, and at the end of that is 220 yards.
View attachment 18295
Dan has killed four elk with this pistol, so I needed to repent from neglecting it and give it some use myself😁
In a very quick amount of time a buck showed himself at 190 yards. I did not know the exact distance, but I knew that he was close to 200 yards and I knew how to adjust for that without touching a turret.
I double shoulder shot him, and he leapt forward at the shot and made it 10 to 15 feet before he died.
View attachment 18297
Of course Dan is the one that had to go to the animal and gut him, and get him into the vehicle.
Once we got back out on a little private drive area, he opened up the back of the vehicle, and I very carefully with my crutches through about 4 inches of snow went and got up on the back of the truck.
View attachment 18298
Dan took a couple deer in the afternoon with his 357 magnum revolver, both over 100 yards. It was a wonderful two days being out with a good friend.
I get my cast off on December 1, and then will go into a walking boot. My anticipation for that day is very high.
Good to see you out and about, congratulations on the deer!

Back