Last Day Moose

Hi Doc, that is a great account of a good day of hunting. I am glad u were able to get the animal. You definitely have a freezer full now:)
Again thank you for the great story!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Mike

I can feel your pain and the elation with the acccomplishment of filling the tag. A long, nasty day and I know that you were worn out at the end. Thanks for a great narrative.

Bill,

I went out for mule deer this morning. There is a big 2 X 3 that for the past three years has been dominating one particular herd. He grew a third tine this year, so he is legal to drop. Of course, I saw him first thing this morning (together with a nice 4X4 and a big 4X5 with a drop tine that is interesting). Unfortunately, they were sky-lined and in a position where shooting would not have been safe (there are cattle grazing about a mile below them). Consequently, I passed on the shot, hoping to see them later in the morning. I did see a smallish 3X3 and a nice 4X4, but the big one I'm focused on didn't come out of the bush. I counted twelve moose this morning (six cows, five calves and one large bull). Those are just the ones I saw. It was a good morning, and I am recovering from my walk-about.

Dr Mike,
Way to go buddy on getting that Moose. I knew you would prevail!!. That E-tip is a keeper for you.
Now go get that Big Buck!

Don

I was within forty yards of four big mule deer bucks yesterday morning. However, the big bodied buck I'd seen wasn't in the picture, so I passed on pulling the trigger. There was a smallish symmetrical 3X3, a fork horn, a smallish symmetrical 4X4 and a large 3X4. The larger of the four was a big bodied deer (though not as big as the one I'm stalking), but his headgear was very nice. He had good mass and the tines were extended. It took all my willpower not to pull the trigger.

So that's where my mule deer bucks were hiding! They've migrated north, leaving the USA and have become Canadian deer! :grin:

You're right Mike - I'd have shot the big 3x4. Have passed on a few smallish mule deer bucks over the years, but normally I can't resist...

Congrats on having the self-discipline to hold off and continue hunting the big buck.

Guy,

The big one actually is a 2X3. However, he is dominant in this herd; and the young'uns are beginning to reflect his genetics. He was a 2X2 for the past three years, and finally grew a small third tine which makes him legal. I'd like to take him out of the herd. I'm a meat hunter primarily, so it is no hardship for me to pass on a good rack if I can tag a bigger bodied animal. That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy bragging by posting a picture of a buck with a fine rack, but I'm trying to stay focused in this instance.

Back