Lee Collet Dies

woods":rputmbeo said:
kraky1":rputmbeo said:
if you have pulled bullets on brass you can take the mandrel out of the collet die n very carefully set it to size the neck down without even taking the powder out of the case.

Now why would you need to do that? Pull a bullet and reseat a new one without sizing cause you now have a perfect ID for seating due to springback. But you're right you could. Do the same with a bushing die.

For every caliber I reload for, my 4 favorite dies are the Lee Collet Neck Sizer, Redding Body Die, RCBS Gold Medal seater and Lee Factory Crimp. This combination gave the best concentricity after extensive testing. Also the most consistent bullet grip.

I use a similar combo, except I use Forster Ultra micrometer seater dies. Just started using the Lee factory crimp die. Still working on things...

Thanks for all the replies and information.
I've come to the conclusion you should also have a FCD die to go along with this to maintain a good grip on the bullet since the neck tension can be too light to hold the bullet for good ignition or slide into the case too deep or fall out. I understand there is trial and error to everything to get it set up right. The link that was provided to a discussion on the Fire explains the proper set up to eliminate most of the problems that could occur.
I think I'll get one to try and see how it works.

Cheap, fast, simple, exc results, no lube to clean up, minimal brass working, ain't much not to like......lol!

You can Polish the mandrel .001" smaller for tighter bullet seating. Lee will also make you a different size mandrel if you'd rather go that route.

Back