Length Question (s)

smirak

Beginner
Jan 8, 2009
I just reloaded my first rounds (only 5) yesterday for my 270...used 54 gr H4831, Remington Brass, CCI LR primers, 140gr Nosler BT Hunting.

So, here is my question...the "instructions" say seat bullet to desired length (the manual gives min/max). How to figure the desired length? Is there some magic formula? I am sure this has already been asked and answered as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Smirak, That's a great combo to start with.
I'd work up in 1/2 grain incriments until I reached max, which should be around 57.5 to 58 grains.

As far as length, I usually start with the longest length my magazine will allow, or just off the lans, which ever is shorter. In most rifles, this means at maximum magazine length.

OK, so in that case, I guess the right way to work up a load then would be to load 1 rd, put in my rifle, and keep seating until desired length? Since my rifle doesn't have a detachable magazine, I would just try to put one in my magazine and rack it into my chamber, correct?

Also, i am using a lee factory crimp die...any suggestions on the "correct" way to use this? I put the die in my press using the instructions for how far to screw it in, but to me it looks like the round I crimped vs the uncrimped round look to be the same.

Thanks,
Kevin

Good question, let me try this a different way.
The SAAMI maximum length for a .270 win is: 3.340 inches. Most .270's are built to accomidate that length in the magazine, but may bind if you long them any longer. I'd load 3-4 to that length, and see how they fit in my magazine and chamber. If all was well, I'd go with that to begin with. I don't use a crimp die, and I would probably avoid one if possible. I'm sure some other member can be of more help with the crimp die.

In general if I'm adjusting a new die for the first time, I stick a factory round in the press, and then run the seating die down until it's firmly against the bullet. Pull out the factory round, then gradually seat a bullet into a case I'm loading. Don't go all the way to begin with, in case the bullet want to seat deeper then the factory round. This will get you in the ball park, and you can adjust from there.

I hope this helps.

smirak
. Take a fired cartrige case that hasn't been re-sized and put a new bullet in it by hand. It should be a loose fit but still hold the bullet so it doesn't move by it's own weight, and leave it long. I suggest you put a little lube on the bullet where it will touch the lans. Close the bolt and open it and see what the overall length is. You may have to play with the tightness of the case and bullet so the bullet isn't pulled out by the lans. You can usually see if it's scraped back. That is your max overall length. If your magazine length is shorter than that than a reasonably dependeble feed length for your magazine is your max overall length. Most reloading manuals suggest you stay about 25 to 30 thousanths from the lans. At that point I work up an accurate load at the velocity that is about right for what you're shooting. When you've got the most accurate load then start adjusting the overall length about 2 to 3 thousanths at a time. Start going shorter first and then longer . Watch carefully for pressure signs when you go longer!!! It's a finesse thing from there and you may even have to drop your load a couple of grains to go longer in length. Never go closer than 15 thousanths from the lans because the pressure can spike fast enough to cause a dangerous overload just from the normal variation of powder measures.
Good loading and be carefull.
Elkhunt :grin:

If you want to find where the lands are try this.
Take a peice of fired brass and put a small dent in the mouth of the case.
Insert the bullet into the case just far enough to allow the bullet to stay put. Take a black sharpie marker and color to bullet black. Insert this into your rifle and close the bolt. open the bolt up and remove the case. Sometimes the bullet will stay in the barrel. If this happens use a cleaning rod to gently tap it out. Pay attention to the scrape mark the case left on your colored bullet and re-seat the bullet by hand to that mark. Measure tha cartridge overall length. repeat this step al least three times. Take the shortest measurement and subtract .015" for a good starting point for a seating depth. At this point you can also find out if your magazine box will allow you to load to that length by inserting a mocked up round into the magazine.

As far as setting up your seating die goes.... it depends on what type of die you are using. A good start would be to screw your die into the press a couple of turns. Insert a case into the shell holder and bring it to the top of the stroke. It is important to have your cases trimmed to a uniform lenght at this point especially if you are going to crimp your rounds. After the case is at the top of the stroke screw the die down into the press until you feel it snug up. This is where the crimp portion of the die starts it's job. If you want a crimp start here. if you don't, back the die up one turn and lock it down. Back the seater plug out and seat a bullet. work the seater plug into the die until you have reached the desired length.

smirak,

Congratulations to making your first hand loads.
+1 to what old #7 said.

JD338

You are off and running on a fascinating pasttime. Handloading is challenging and rewarding, which is what keeps people coming back for more. Keep up the good work.

Back