Let's talk about WSSM's

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I may have a trade in the works for a Win 70 WSSM action. Never had a wssm and really know nothing about them, other than a loaded WSSM looks bad azz! I see Pac nor chambers a 243 wssm. I think a 3 groove, tight twist, for the heavies, 243wssm would be a cool varmint gun. Should I go for it, or should I hang on to my win70 LA action? Any wildcats built off of wssm's? Thanks for any input.
Steve

Like any cartridge, the WSSMs have their place. I've shot several. Can't say that I'd trade in any of a number of long action cartridges to have one. The 25 WSSM really doesn't do much more than the 25-06. The 243 WSSM can sling a 24 calibre bullet downrange at a good velocity, but their are other cartridges that will do the same and perhaps better. The WSSMs can be hard on barrels. Still, people that own them enjoy them. I suspect that is as much a matter of true rifle cranks enjoying whatever they shoot, however.

There are some really cool little Wildcats off the wssm. Some of the better ones are the 6.5 wssm, the 358 SFB, and 450 and 500 B-M.

I have a win featherlight stainless in 25 Wssm. It is a perfect scaled down version of my wife's 270 stainless featherweight. I figured it would make for a good rifle for my daughter in a few years.

So far it performs exactly like a 25/06, with decent hunting accuracy and surprisingly slick feeding. I found abunch of 243 wssm brass locally and have a lifetime supply. The wssm brass is very strong, thick little brass.

I think the 6.5 wssm in a presicion rifle would act like a scaled up ppc, decent brass, good geometry, short fat powder column. I could see it performing well, but have to be a longer action than micro, or a single feeder, those long 6.5mm bullets are longer than the brass!

8bcb422b11c344c3986680710611e318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Ive got a .25 WSSM Browning Varmint Stalker & a Mod.70 in .243 WSSM. Nice cartridges, case necks take a little work, both shoot good, fun guns for pdawgs/ varmints & mule deer/ antelope, both really like RL-17. Potent little pkgs...

I'm necking up the 243 wssm brass to avoid turning necks, plus I happened in to a slew of it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Bears 25 WSSM. That's a slick little rifle.

Can't say I've ever sought a WSSM, but a 243 with a 1-7/8 would be a neat cartridge.

ScreaminEagle":31gi6lft said:
Thanks guys. I ended up keeping my LA. Gonna go 6.5-06 Ackley

Why not the 6.5-280AI? More capacity than the 6.5 since the shoulder on the 280 is .050" further forward.

nvbroncrider":otp1a33c said:
ScreaminEagle":otp1a33c said:

Why not the 6.5-280AI? More capacity than the 6.5 since the shoulder on the 280 is .050" further forward.

I do have a pile of 280 brass!

ScreaminEagle":wd2ron1q said:
nvbroncrider":wd2ron1q said:
ScreaminEagle":wd2ron1q said:

I do have a pile of 280 brass!

Already having brass offsets the cost of dies and then you could always buy 280 AI brass and neck it down too. Gives you more options. Besides no one here has one!!

Whatever flavor of 6.5-06 you choose, including the .280 option...

I think it's going to be a wonderful cartridge & rifle combo, capable of fine accuracy on the range or in the field.

A fellow I know has one - it's his only center fire rifle - a 6.5-06. He shot target matches with it and did well, particularly at the longer ranges. He slays coyotes and rock chucks in the off season, and mule deer pretty much every fall. It NEVER beats him up, just slings bullets waaaay out there with superb accuracy.

Of course I think he's got a unique advantage in that he doesn't even contemplate shooting other rifles...

Guy

Guy Miner":oqmkhqsl said:
Of course I think he's got a unique advantage in that he doesn't even contemplate shooting other rifles...

Guy

That's gotta be pure blasphemous talk! :lol:

SJB358":2h972fza said:
Guy Miner":2h972fza said:

Guy

That's gotta be pure blasphemous talk! :lol:

Yep says the guy with 2 30-06's and 2 375 H&H's!!!

No kidding.

I love the idea of the one-gun hunter... But I don't seem to be that fellow.

Guy

Guy Miner":1mmuxfmy said:
No kidding.

I love the idea of the one-gun hunter... But I don't seem to be that fellow.

Guy

How would a guy be able to plaster sage rats and only have rifle to cover kodiaks and cape buff? That gets expensive in a hurry and then if you burned up a barrel no shooting for 6 months I couldn't handle that. Nope that's why I have lots of guns I need choices!

nvbroncrider":2h1xj720 said:
ScreaminEagle":2h1xj720 said:

I want to do that to my 270!

Great topic.

What killed the .223WSSM speed demon?. Was it too snappy for the need-for-speed crowd?.

I like it and I am still considering a rifle in that caliber one day.

Just wondering... :roll:

At one point I was all hot and bothered for a .358 WSSM, as it looked like I was going to be working in Indiana with their goofy no rifles unless chambered for a handgun cartridge hunting regulations. My ardor cooled when my then company lost the bid for the job (and I never found a donor I was willing to meet the asking price on).

Back