Leupold 650 range finder?

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Since I bought the 25/06 I have now gotten to the point I am looking at a new Range Finder, I have used a Nikon 440 for years and had very good luck with it, very easy on the batterys and works fine up to 350yds or so . I am thinking about upgrading it to a 600 yd range finder and am wondering if anyone on here has used the Leupold 650 ??? Any input greatly appreaciated!

I've been using the previous version- the RX-600i.

Works pretty well- no real complaints. On caribou, 500ish yards is about the max I can get a reliable return. It's good to 600 yards on semi-hard targets like metal objects and some rock outcroppings.

I've found it really easy to use... I picked mine up from Cabelas on close out....$90. I'm not sure that buying latest and greatest is really beneficial. I'd pick up last year's model on deep discount.

Earle,

I have a Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 that is just awesome. A friend of mine bought the Leupold RX-1200 and its size and performance was impressive. It is rated for a longer distance than what you were asking about but having a stronger laser diode will ensure good readings on smaller targets such as coyotes.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... ngefinder/

JD338

Jim,
I really just want it for Kansas, and have pretty much decided if its over 500 yds probably wont fire as the pair of my guns
Will have run outta gas in my view at 600 max........ but thats just me. I know the TV is now full of guys blasting them at twice that distance with Husksmaw scopes and $3500 custom guns. And hittin em wouldnt be the issue ;as much as hitting them with a 1000ft lbs and less??? 6/700 ft lbs to me is ridiculous, but they are implying in these shows ,trying to sell $400 scopes for $1400, that there is nothing to it.

Hodgy,
Thanks for that info, B&H has that 650i for $149 free ship?? Not as good as the deal you got but not bad? Like you I like last years stuff at half price! Like they say if you want the cutting edge, prepare to bled!
E

I had a Leica 1000 yard range finder that was fabulous. I got hard up for a few dollars and sold it! :twisted: I just got the Leupold 1200 range finder and it's worked very well so far. I ranged some sheep at 700 yards today. I could not get anything to register out at 1000 though.

David

Thanks David,
Those Leica and Swarovski range finders are NICE.............. if I were still guiding sheep hunters that would be the way to go. However I have gotten by for years with a Nikon 440 for 99% of what we do anymore.
But for Kansas and trying to get prepared for a 500 yd shot , it is NOT going to cut the mustard........ looking at the new Leupold 800 for $250 with all the whistles or just snag the 650 for a buck n a half........... hummmm

I believe my wife got the Leupold RX-1200i TBR for $300.00 or just a touch more on Amazon. I know it's a few bucks more, but I think that is the way I would go. Then you know you will have that longer capability if it's needed. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! :shock:

That is so true David, and I assume we are still talking range finders ? Lol...........
e

I bought a secondhand Bushnell 1600 elite for a hundred bucks it was hardly used and looked almost brand new. Ranges small animals around 450 meters, cows to about 550 meters (600yd) tree line to 800 metres and buildings to around 1200 meters. But once you start shooting longer range it's becoming the weak point on animals. The new Sig kilo looks good or the proven Leica will be my next one

Should have never looked at the new RX850i priced at $250 you basically get it ALL.
Lots of extra stuff on this model? What a beauty! Gosh the TBR feature on this new model will even compute the exact hold over for your exact load in either MOA , mils, inches or gosh knows what other scale, simple as that push the button and read the distance and then read the exact hold over for your rifle , OMG what is next?
View attachment 1
And if that wasn't enough it has "Trophy Mode" that allows you to project a vital area ,18" ?? As a preset and display that at the yardage that is being displayed!View attachment 1

Attachments

• opplanet-leupold-rx-850i-tbr-with-dna-laser-rangefinder-black-gray-3-selectable-reticles-12046...jpg
    opplanet-leupold-rx-850i-tbr-with-dna-laser-rangefinder-black-gray-3-selectable-reticles-12046...jpg
    42 KB · Views: 4,237
  • rs_850i_tbr_angled-530x428.jpg
    rs_850i_tbr_angled-530x428.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,198
Update:
Well I pulled the trigger on this new unit, grabed it off Optics Planet with a 5% off coupon and free shipping,
So will do a full review of it after we get used to it and then give all the pros and cons of it. The 650 probably would have done everything I really needed but................. will still have my old Nikon 440 for the pickup door pouch , and am looking into a Brooks Range sheep hunt ,so this 850 would be perfect for that !

Congratulations on finding what you wanted. It will serve you well, I am certain.

Well I was so out of it on Range finders I had no idea they had computers and software inside them nowadays!
Guess I am stuck back in the 90's somewhere! Lol.
e
:evil: Well just got an update from Optics Planet...................... they claim they really don't have them in stock yet and wanted me to pick something different and they will send it right out,
They said they don't expect delivery of the new 850 for 6-8 weeks............
OMG, I told em to cancel the order ............ :twisted:

Thanks Hodge,
Dont really know what I was thinking, as the best way for any of there stuff is to just send Leupold a copy of our guides license
And they have a great program and it comes direct from the factory! So I will persue that Avenue!
E

Bruce Mc":1d1wu3xi said:
Cabelas has the Leupold 1200iTBR on sale right now for $279.99.

That sounds like a good deal. RF's are truly an awesome tool. I like to have a little more range since elements seem to shorten there usefulness. I run a Leica but that Leupold seems like a great deal.

I agree with Scotty. I think the Leupold RX1200i TBR is the way to go. It is the best bang for the buck.

JD338

Yep, I couldn't pass it up. It looks like it can range normal object (i.e. deer) out to around 650 yards. More reflective objects to over 1000yds. Just playing with it out in the back yard. The bullet drop display may be useful, but I don't usually sight in for 200 yds.

Bruce ,
I see them for $299 so not sure if that was a misprint or they have changed the price?
At any rate that is a fantastic RF of that short money! Keep us posted how it works out for ya!
I got to register with Leupold for the guides discount and will be picking one up shortly!
Earle

Back