Leupold Mark 2

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Guys I have to admit that I have been holding out on you. I got a new weapon last tuesday and have been doing lots of load development and not sharing anything... :( I ordered a Savage 12 Low profile .243. I topped it with a Leupold Mark 2 6-18x40 Milldot. The first morning I took it started breaking the rifle in. Didn't pay much attention to the glass, I was more excited about shooting. A few days later I was out with Remingtonman looking at some deer and was not very impressed with the optics, then pulled the scope away and realized it was foggy out :roll:.

After that I started paying attention to how clear things are and how well it holds its zero after shooting 600 or 975 yards. I have to say I'm very impressed for a mid $ scope. My brother and I are making hits on a 10" target at 975 yards, then dialing back and getting four inch groups at 600 yards, then returning to the 200 yard zero and it is working flawlessly.

My only complaint with this scope is the Paralax ring on the end of the scope moves way to easy. I had it set on infinity, saw a yote and pulled up on it and all I saw was a big fuzz ball. when I grabbed the gun and pulled it over the focus got turned down to almost nothing just by rubbing on the console of my pickup. Now that I have that figures out its not such a big deal, but I was sure not happy when it happened.

All in all I would have to say this a a pretty dang good piece of glass!

Good to hear of your positive experience with the scope. There is no question but that Leopolds are quality glass.

I like it a lot better then the vx2, 6-18x40's that I'm running. That Mark2 has better glass, and its very evident.

We need to do some shooting this weekend.

jmad_81

My buddy really likes my Mark 4 and want to put one on his 338 RUM. I told him to also look at the Mark 2 based on your recommendation.

JD338

The Mark 2 is a lot less $ than the 4, but only a 1" tube and I still have to take the dust caps off to get the the target knobs. If he is going to be shooting really far (1000yrds +) than I would go Mark 4 is he can afford it. If he is staying under 1000 yrds then this is the scope to have!

jmad_81

The Mark 2 would be perfect for him. Most all of his shooting will be inside 500 yds, maybe try 1K just for grins.
Actually, I also recommended the B&C reticle for him.

JD338

Back