Leupold Quality ?

skidmark

Beginner
Oct 27, 2013
Twice now in as many days someone has looked
at my rifle and asked me why I would waste my money
on a Leupold product. I don't understand. I have 2
VX3 4.5X14X50LR mounted on rifles that have worked
flawlessly and with total repeatability of adjustment.
If my .340 can't beat it into submission What gives ?
I know I'm old but have I missed something?

I have two old VariX III's 2.5x8 that have performed flawlessly for many years. My local gunshop owner/gunsmith who I have great faith, in suggested a Leupold for my 30-06 last year before I bought a Zeiss conquest HD5 2x10x42. I just thought the Zeiss would suit me better. Could someone be just jerking your chain?

If they work for you, why worry about what some jack wagon says? If it has survived on a .340, that says enough for me.

I'd just give them a polite smile, and say, "thanks for sharing."

You are not missing anything. They are. :wink:

You cannot go wrong with Leupold!

Last year I bought and mounted the first scope in 20 years on one of my rifles that was not a Leupold, and it is a Swarovski.

I did try a Zeiss and a Vortex on a couple of rifles, and while decent, did not impress me enough to purchase them for myself.

Another aspect with Leupold that has really impressed me, is the fact that the only scope of theirs that I have ever had a problem with, was not the fault of the scope, but a slip in the mountains on a mountain goat hunt, where I landed scope first on the rocks. The rifle did print a 1" group for 3 shots immediately after the fall, but shifted when I tried it a week later at the range. I mailed the scope to the repair facility here in western Canada, and had the scope returned to me repaired, via mail, just 16 days later. That scope is still mounted on that 338 Win Mag and doing well 16 years later.

Great product and excellent service from a scope manufacturer that you will not find equalled by any other manufacturer in the business today.

Enjoy your scope!

Now I feel relieved....
I have never taken equipment failure very well... :lol:

You're fine with Leupold, Skidmark. These are excellent scopes. Perhaps they don't match Premier, or S&B or Swarovski; but, then, not many scopes do. And except for the true scope snobs, you will never be able to tell the difference. The VX3 can be worn on any rifle with pride; it is a fine scope.

Blkram":3u9hf3k7 said:
Great product and excellent service from a scope manufacturer that you will not find equalled by any other manufacturer in the business today.
Agree 100%.

skidmark":3u9hf3k7 said:
I have 2 VX3 4.5X14X50LR mounted on rifles that have worked flawlessly and with total repeatability of adjustment.
Go with your gut. They are a great product and an even better company.

The only scope on our hunting rifles that IS NOT a Leupold is the Zeiss Conquest on my son's Winchester Model 70 300 WSM. In his "eye" he liked the Zeiss better. I have never had a Leupold on my rifles fail me but my hardest kicker is a 30-06 but still................

My Gold Ring compact binoculars had a failure of sorts. My son Jeff who was five at the time unscrewed the eyepieces and ruined the seal. I sent them back in and they completely went through them, cleaned everything, and then sealed it all up again nice and tidy and they were back in a short amount of time. Cost to me NOTHING!!

Oh wait I had one more incident with the compact binoculars. Not a fault of Leupold. I stepped on them on a hard floor wearing heavy hunting boots. I tweaked the barrels on the binoculars just ever so slightly. One eye was fishing and the other was baiting the hook so to speak. I sent them in and in a few days they came back cleaned and sealed again and no charge. Both barrels had been adjusted to aim perfectly again as well. Now how about that!!

David

Skidmark, I am getting old as well and do not hunt nearly as much as I used to but I also go to the club rifle range every week, weather willing. Looking around at our club range, I would guess that probably 1/2 of the scopes on the rifle, high-power range at any given time are some model of Leupold.

I have used Leupold scopes since buying their first 3/4 inch models back in the early 1960's. I still have a Leupold 2-7 VX-Rimfire, 4.5-14x40AO VXIII and a 1.5x20 VX3 on a Medium Bore. I own (12) different scopes, some of which are rimfire . The scopes of mine that I might wish to sell are not the Leupolds and are either older or not as capable models from other companies.

I went through a period with Leupold when I did not feel that they were building full value into all of their products and I did not buy many, preferring Conquest's. Recently, Leupold has improved their qualities and features. So, I just bought my latest Leupold VX3 last year. Leupold's customer Service has always been awesome and fast!

I could see myself getting along just fine with only the various model choices of Leupold if pushed to do so. Although, surely I would miss many of my other scopes and their distinct features. I can't say that however about many other scope manufacturers.

I am pretty brand loyal and basically own and use Zeiss for half of my scopes, followed by Leupold, Swarovski and Kahles. I do not know where you live but most folks around here either compliment others on their gear or say nothing!

Leupold makes a top quality rifle scope. I have 4 of them 2 old VXlls that are still as good as the day they were bought which is at least 25 years :wink: I have a VX6 & last fall we placed a VX-R on my Son's & he advised that it was a step or 2 above his ZA-5 Minox that was previously on his BDL.
Had 1 problem with old gold ring where power ring seized. Sent it into service depot just outside Calgary & 7 days later I had a new scope delivered to my house :).
The only rifle that doesn't carry a Leupold has a Leica on it.

Blessings,
Dan

Skidmark,

I'm one of those guys who was fairly put out with Leupold for a few years and still am in a few areas. You could say that my criticisms far exceeded my compliments. Mostly because they sat on their butts letting the competition pass them up and have done a terrible job of presenting facts & truth about their new products. They even had a little bit of trouble with some of their scopes failing and about 10 to 15 years ago you could find (for the money) much better options than Leupold.

I'm no fan of their lower level stuff at all but when they finally started to get serious again their premium products got better. Like Charlie I am a Zeiss fan and own 5 zeiss optics and a Swarovski as well. That said two of my last three scope purchases have been Leupold. I'm not a Leupold kool-aid drinker and from a pure glass standpoint there are plenty of brands that will surpass Leupold in at least two optic levels but, their VX3 line and VX6 line are quality scopes that incorporate their twin bias spring system and are as tough as it gets.

As long as one does not compare apples to oranges their level of optics are in line too. And sure, you can always find another brand that is a little less expensive but when it comes to service after the sale you won't find another brand better.

Thanks Doc,

When I walk the shooting line of the range I go to I sometimes scoff (to myself) at some of what I see there. Leupold is not one of those. Matter of fact if I see a Leupold on a rifle I usually think "sensible".

Among my scopes, I count multiple examples of Swarovski, Kahles and Zeiss. I do have at least two VX3s, two VX6s and three VX7s. These are all good scopes. I confess, however, that I am still partial to my European scopes.

skidmark":zjdiwl1p said:
GeorgeS What did it take to stop that Buffalo ?

Model 70 Custom 470 Capstick. Pac-nor tube. I have played with that one! :mrgreen:

Back