leupold rings

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Hi all,
Had a weird experience today at the range. i shot my .300 bee and it was not on paper, but about 12 inches off. I checked and sure enough, the windage screw on the base had worked itself loose. Never seen that before... but I am glad that I spend time at the range checking that gun before taking it on a trip.

And, my scope on my .257 bee, also with Leupold rings had turned off of true. First time for that as well.

So, I blame myself. Question for the forum, how to do you keep everything tight? I used blue locktight on the rings, but not on the windage screw.
thanks,
Hardpan

BTW< this made for a pretty frustrating day.... But my 7mm bee shot 65 grs of 4831 and a 150 gr etip in a 1 hole 3 shot group!

I had an issue with the the std ring set up on my 338RUM. The recoil had shifted the ring in the base, subsequently the scope would be loose. I saw that Midway had the Talley SS 30mm mount system on sale, so I replaced the Leupy mounts and haven't had a problem since.
I also changed out my 375RUM from the std Leupy mounts to the Leupy dual dove tail system - Talley 1" system wasn't on sale and was well over $100 - and haven't had problem. Figured it'd be better to be proactive on this than have the bases/rings fail while out hunting.

Forgot to mention that I have not had any problems with Leupold std mounts/rings on the rest of my rifles, including my 300RUM.

I have been lucky, they have not come loose on my rifles including my 338 RUM. Leupold offers the duel dove tail mounts that are absolutely rock solid.

JD338

Hardpan, I've seen what you describe on a friends rifle.

I give everything a touch of blue locktite, except the windage screws. I use them to center the crosshairs on the first outing, then tighten them up with my largest screwdriver. I tighten them as even, and hard as I can. Doing this, I've never had a problem personally.

No rhyme or reason to my practise, but I use blue Locktite on some of my scope mounts and not on others. Those that never received a drop of Locktite have never come loose, especially the windage screws on the Leupold mounts.

While I have never had a problem with the windage screws on the standard Leupold or the old Redfield systems come loose, I have seen plenty of others who have.

In fact, a set of old Redfield rings and bases have been on my .338 Win Mag since 1987 and they have never given me a problem of any kind.

Having said that, I have gradually been changing all my scope mounts over to the Leupold dual dovetail system. I think they are very strong and they do away with a lot of problems.

I admit they are not a good choice on a gun that has the base screws drilled off center or some other such problem, but they have always worked for me.

I would caution against tightening the windage screws on the Leupold and Redfield systems too tight. Take a look at how little purchase that screw has on the base. Two things happen fairly often, the base itself is deformed or the screw just shears off from too much tension. That is a hell of a big screw driver slot and it is tempting to use a huge screw driver and just break the screw right off.

The only time I had a problem was actually on my friends M700 XCR 338 RUM. I couldn't get it to hold a decent group. I noticed the scope had moved forward due to the rear windage screw coming loose. Once I tightened it up,
it is fine and has not moved ot changed its POI.
TC700XCR338RUM.jpg

JD338

Dual Dove-tails and don't look back.

A few years back I had just got back to camp and was taking my .280 out of the case on the ATV. As I was walking to the tent, I could feel something moving on the gun - sure enough, the windage screws had come loose.
I'll blame this one on the ATV and all the vibration / rocky roads etc. I have pretty much moved my my hunting guns to the Dual set up - It's an insurance policy for me.

P.S. Another reason to cary a backup rifle of which I had with me.....

After purchasing the Leupold ring wrench and the Wheeler ring alignment bars and using them, I high recommend have these items. I like the wrench to twist the rings on and use the machined steel bars (machined to a point on one end of each bar) to get the rings on and aligned before putting the scope in.

Forgot to mention, that if you have access to a lathe, you can easily make your own alignment bars.

HI Guys,
thanks for the advice. I will make a set of alignment bars, not sure about the ring tool...

But , I sent Leupold a note on this just now, will post the outcome.
Hardpan

Another vote for the Dual Dovetail system here!

I wouldn't advocate picking up rifles by the scope, but when I look at the traditional windage-adjustable mounting system I imagine the rear mount losing its grip and the scope tube bending if the rifle had to be grasped by the scope. I have full confidence and no such phobias when it comes to the Dual Dovetail system.

I wish Leupold offered the DD for more actions, but it is what it is. For that reason I often opt for a Weaver-style system and go with Burris Zee rings I use Warne steel mounts when I can get them, but even when I have to go with aluminum I still have a lot more confidence than I do with the Redfield style mount.

I know people have gotten by for years with windage-adjustable rear mounts, and temperature sensitive powders too for that matter, but if you can have something a little better, why would you not opt for it?

I would agree with Riverrider on the Warne set-up. I have Leupold on almost all my rifles but for the .338RUM I used Warne Rings/bases/ Talk about Rock solid. Mounting was simple and the setup has never moved.

Back