Leupold VX-1

7 STW,

Not sure what your intentions are for a scope.
The VX I is the entry level scope. For shooting in good light, they will be fine. If you are going to be shooting early morning, late evening, or in heavy cover, spend the extra money on a VX III. I know they are expensive, but these scopes are very bright.
They are well worth the investment. :wink:

JD338

You know JD your the second person to tell me that.Better heed your guy's advice.Your write on a hunting scope the brighter the better you bet.

7 STW,

For most hunting situations, either the VXIII 2.5x8 or 3.5x10 will get the job done very nicely out to 600 yds. I really like the 2.5x8 and have shot deer and bear ar 25-30 feet away and targets out to 500 yds.
What rifle/caliber and what kind of hunting are you going to use the scope for?

JD338

I was thinking the 3-9 offering for my 06.Close shots up to 200 yds or so.My old Mauser is a really lite gun and I'm thinking it would serve me well for bear hunting because I love hiking around looking for those fellows in the spring.

JD how about the VX-2 line.I really like the 3-9-40 for my 30-06.It's a good power range for the bear hunting I do.

Thanks Mike

I have a pair of 2-7x33 VX-I's and triplets in the 3-9x40 VX-II. I'm content with them, but I've noticed two things:

Most of my hunting is done with snow on the ground, which makes a brown animal easier to see. Second, I am in the middle of the plains without much cover and even when calling coyotes at night, the moon is pretty bright. This also helps the clarity. For lesser conditions in the timber or under severe cloud cover at night, things get fuzzier. I suspect this is where the VX-III proves its worth.

The newer VX-II does have some noticable improvements over the old VariX-II line, such as click adjustments and better glass.

I only have vx3 or better on my serious guns...Tell you something? :wink:

I have owned the VX-I, VX-II, and now the VX-III. I have noticed that this 2.5-8 is the clearest thing I have ever owned. I have looked at many of the other scope companies as well and their optics are good, but for the money you can't go wrong with the VX-III! You would have to buy Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica to get optics that are any better and you are going to pay twice as much than the VX-III. My Father knows a guy that has the money to buy anything he wants and has owned all of it and keeps coming back to Leupold due to the fact that you just can't get better optics for the money!

I really liked the old vx2 3-9x40. They are great scopes. The only thing I didn't like about them was there knobs didn't click. The glass however is great, even at 9x. I have a vx3 2.5-8 and have to agree that the scope is very very clear. I also own the newer vx2 6-18x40 target and MK4 LR/T M1, 4.5-14x50. That scope is hands down brighter then the 2.5-8, and any of the others, but its a $900 scope, so it should be. For the money, vx3 are nice, but when you get to the 6.5-20 targets, there double the price of a vx2, 6-18 and I dont know if I can justify that price. Anyways, the vx1 3-9 should be a great scope. If anything does go wrong, everyone knows how great Leupolds customer service is.

I too, have one of the old variXII 3-9X40's . A very nice scope in my opinion. I wish they still made that exact scope! :(
Mine is on an old featherweight model 70 in 270 win. I am replacing the stock with a McMillan and have Talley lightweight rings and bases on order for it, but i will never replace that old varixII(unless I brake it somehow!) :?

7 STW

I would strongly recomend to you the VXIII 2.5.8 scope. This will be more than enough for what you are using it for. You will be glad you went this way, I promise. :wink:

Here is the 2.5x8 on my 338 RUM. I had the M1 dials added to it for precission dialing. This set up will shoot under 3 inched at 500 yds.

JD700LSS.jpg

JD338[/img]

JD338

I would like to try one of those Leupold's with the M1 dials. That is a nice looking rig, by the way. I wish Remington still made the LSS in the 338RUM :(

340boy- I had one, LSS in 300 RUM. It was pretty much the same as JD's, but mine had the MK4, 4.5-14x50 LR/T M1. It was scare accurate for a factory rifle. It loved 200g AB's and 210g VLD's. It shot several 3.5-4" groups at 800 yards. I debated forever whether or not to get a sendero for the accuracy, and added weight of the rifle so it woudln't kick as much because I DID NOT want a muzzle brake. The stainless/synthetic was out of the question, and the wood/blued was also out of the question. That left the LSS. It was stainless, and had a laminated wood stock which would help soak the recoil a little better then a synthetic. I just hoped it would be accurate, I didn't expect .5-.75 MOA out to 800 yards. I killed 3 elk and a big black bear with it, as well as several coyotes, 1 of which is my longest kill at 775 yards. Performance was great. I love the caliber, but for as much as I like to shoot, I needed something with more barrel life. However, being a long range hunter/shooter I still need to have some punch. I recently traded it for a 7mm RM and shoot 168g vld's as of now at 3000fps. It is still a nice package out to 1000yards, while burning 30g less powder each shot sure is nice. I still have the pics and memories of the my good old Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM.

340boy,
Thanks! The M1's are sweet. Remingtonman was a great help to me getting things set up.

Remingtonman,
I hope oneday you can get another 300 RUM, You shared some good storoes and pics with your LSS.

I hope Remington will wake up and keep producing the LSS and the RUM's. :roll:

JD338

REM25_06,
Yes, I also have the LSS in 300RUM..very nice. Seems to have a distinct preference for 200 grain bullets, which is sweet. I have not killed anything at the kind of ranges you describe, but I have no doubt the rifle is capable of it, I am looking forward to trying some 200 grain accubonds with RL25 and Retumbo later this year. Congrats on your deer, by the way! :grin:
JD338,
that is one thing I don't like about Remington, it seems like they are always dropping models and/or chamberings! I would love to get an LSS in 338Rum, I would trade in my sendero on one in a heartbeat!

Back