Leupold VX-R reviews?

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
I ordered one from SWFA after trading in an old scope, the 4-12x40 CDS. Just wondered if anyone had tried them yet and what you thought? The reviews I found on Cabelas and other sites were positive. I wanted another CDS scope to set up on my 264, and thought the 30mm tube and lighted reticle would be nice for last minute whitetail or predator calling. I looked at the 50mm version also but it wasn't available with a 12x top end and CDS.

I have the 3x4x40 VXR. Love it. I will use it on my next piggie hunt in Texas.

Yes, I will have one on my Son's BDL before the Whitetail season starts.
He has a problem with his right eyes picking up reticle on the hide of the animal. I am hoping this will really help him:)

Blessings,
Dan

FOTIS":3f8yri5o said:
I have the 3x4x40 VXR. Love it. I will use it on my next piggie hunt in Texas.

I have kinda thought about putting that same scope on my Whelen. Seems like it would be perfect for that rifle in the way I use it. Looking forward to hearing more about them. Scotty

I bought a 3-9x40 VX-R with the CDS turret and used it elk hunting this fall.
I liked everything about it except that the turret would rotate by slipping it in and out of a snug scabbard.
One time I checked it and it was exactly 180 degrees out and I didn't know which way to turn it back to zero. I took my best guess and had a moment of panic as I was posted up in a prime spot to hunt. Then I figured I could verify correct zero by pulling the bolt and sight down the barrel at a rock near my sight-in range (250 yds) and compare it to the scope settiing. This worked great, because if you are a full turn out, it shows up dramatically checking it this way.
This would be a near ideal scope with pull-up/push-down locking turrets.

I got mine mounted and shot Saturday, seems to be a nice scope. I really like the lighted reticle without the battery on the objective. It seems to gather light pretty well, and isn't to bulky for what it offers. I put my turret from my 270WSM load on it and look forward to using it at long range. My WSM turret (140gr AB, BC of .497 at 3033fps) should be nearly identical to my 264 load (140gr AB, BC of .509 at 3000fps) out to the 650yds my turret is marked for. One thing I'd like to see in this line is a higher magnification option like a 4-16 or 6-18 with the CDS and a finer duplex or mil-dot offered. The thicker duplex in this scope covers up much more of the target than the Varmint Hunter reticle in my other Leupolds. I don't see the need for the heavy duplex when you have the firedot for low light. A 4-16x50 CDS with a fine duplex in this series would quickly get a home on the 6mm Rem and 204 I use for predator calling.

Back