Leupold VX2 with CDS

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
New Vx2 is in, a nd I gotta say this thing is brillant! I have another one on my 35 Whelen, this new one is razor crisp
Right to the edges has phenomenal eye relief, and this new Windplex looks like it is the ticket to dail in wind correction. I see nothing about this scope I dont like , and that includes the price! I give it ☆☆☆☆☆5 stars ☆☆☆☆☆

Good show Earle.
The new VX2 is basically the older Vari X III.

JD338

That is correct Jim, they really are basically just the old VX III, so for this money I think its going to be hard to beat one for the money?
Should work nice, after I get my custom dail made up for the 257 bullets, in 117gr going 3200fps. Really would be sweet , to see an old smasher out in Kansas, have time to range him, and then reach down and dail him up on the cds ! Bingo, bang flop, just like
Best of the West without spending $1300 on a Huskamaw! :lol:

Earle,

I think you are on the right path.
The CDS dial works like a charm once you have everything set up.
I have verified the CDS on a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm that was on my 280 AI out to 600 yds and it was spot on.

JD338

You get a 115-117 going 3200 you won't need to dial squat out to 400 E. Zero at 300 and you'll be Less than 10" low at 400. That's covering some ground!

Probably why the 270 and 130 is so danged popular :lol:

I think that is exactly why the 270 is so darn popular, I use my 06 alot just because it feels good to me in my hand, the balance
Point is how I like it, but when folks ask me all the time what to buy in a deer rifle (unless they handload) I always recomend
The 270 over thr 06 for DEER...........
I have had exceptional good luck with the 06, but of course a 165gr BT/ SST sliding along at 2950fps, is a winning combo for sure as your around 300 H&H ballistics!
E
IMG_20160118_115345.jpg

Earle, I installed the CDS system on my VX6 with my 270 CDL had it on for 2 years and actually never used it :(. When I saw the animal I just automatically range it in my head and then did a hold over if necessary and pulled the trigger. I guess 40 years shooting the same calibre and load just made it automatic :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

I hear you Dan, and I do already have some scopes that compensate for hold over,via the reticule, but just for fun , I thought it would be cool to see something at say 535yds and simply dail in 535 with out thinking of cheat sheets or,How many clicks it should be etc.?... just simply dail em ,and than file em...... :lol:

Yes Earle, we should never be afraid to try something different. That is why I shoot the 35 Whelen :lol: I was the first in our group to try it and know 2 more have bought into the club :wink:.
I did play with it on paper and it work just as they said it would (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,
The facts are a 35 Whelen handloaded with Scotty's favorite RL 15 handload are just a 338WM in disguise!
Same as a handloaded 30/06 loaded to 270/308 pressures
Is just a 300 H&H in disguise! This fantasy that a 35 Whelen " might" not be enough gun, is just that a fantasy!
Any 250gr bullet going 2600fps from ANY caliber would
Knock the living snot from any bear of any color...... Guides
Used 35 Whelens for 40 years in Alaska back when 2400 was a big number, none had any problems. When I shifted down from a 375, to a 338WM I wondered if I would ever regret it, but I never did.......... ALOT of this speculation about needing 416, 460 Weatherby etc is just folks that have never even seen a brown bear, and actually have Zero
Experience killing them, if you can shoot your 35 Whelen under pressure then shooting a big bear will be a non event...... If you can't a 416 will NOT fix your problem.
IMHO, Americans have since gone Magnum crazy trying
To make up for lack marksmanship, and lack of experience......
Just saying.

35 Whelen":3e5ihzua said:
Experience killing them, if you can shoot your 35 Whelen under pressure then shooting a big bear will be a non event...... If you can't a 416 will NOT fix your problem.
IMHO, Americans have since gone Magnum crazy trying
To make up for lack marksmanship, and lack of experience......
Just saying.

Well said - I believe you are 100% correct.

That said - I do have a couple of magnums I really like... :mrgreen:

Guy

This Leupold is headed for Kansas and I cant honestly think of anything better! The new Windplex reticule should help me compensate for common high winds there, and the CDS system should make dailing the elevation simple, considering how far
Alot of the shots are it may turn out to be the difference between twiddle dee & twiddle DUMB.......

What area in Kansas will you be hunting, Earle? Western Kansas can be windy, to be sure. The Flint Hills does see some wind. Southeast Kansas may not be quite as windy, however.

NorthEastern in a little town of Aurora........ I think its like 100 people!

35 Whelen":14cbmu7r said:
NorthEastern in a little town of Aurora........ I think its like 100 people!

Near the Flint Hills. That would be good country for some fine deer, to be sure. Yes, there could be some wind in that area, but not as much as further west nearer the junction of the prairies and the mountains. Not far from the Nebraska border. It should be good hunting, that's for sure.

Well Mike I always go on a hunt to see new country, and hopefully meet some new friends! The deer are certainly there the boys
Have gotten some respectable ones and missed some spectacular ones! Weather I can do any better remains to be seen......
I will do alot of practice this summer, so if we dont connect it wont be the guns fault! I am sure I will come home from Kansas,
With the memory of having seen another great place where big bucks live!

I went to college in the Flint Hills. Love the area. It is pretty, to be sure. Memories of grass growing as high as the belly of a horse.

Sounds real nice, and I am looking forward to the trip, hopefully we will see some game and have some fun! Great bunch of guys anyway, one of them has a lodge up in Labrador, he flys his own Cessna 185 , so of course there will be lots of flying talk!
The ring leader is a very well know dog trainer , and we have a professional chef in camp to fix up some grub! They take out Maine lobster of course, and there will be plenty of Alaskan Salmon, and Halibut to boot...... there is of course the traditional
Local fare of pheasents , quail shot on the ranch, and I heard a story about Rib eyes 2" thick that you can cut with a fork?
I will likely pick up an Adult beverage,to wash some of this stuff down, And even though I dont drink beer often: When I do its

Attachments

• amber.jpg
    amber.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,972
Earle it sound like you have this very well planned :wink: mind you I am not sure you are going to be able to walk much with all that food being prepared by a chef.
You sure have me wanting the season to hurry up so we can all enjoy your hunt (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Hahaha, well as you can plainly see it isnt just about the deer! I actually need another deer head about as much nothing at all........ I actually will not be shooting for meat or just to fill the tag the last day, but would love to watch some of the boys tag out! I will only consider a monster buck, so chances are I will likely come home empty handed. Howver if I see one that gets my blood preasure up, I have been known to go to great lenghts to harvest them. I find as I have gotten older I really have little interest in killing animals, just to fill a tag......... would not be my thing, I let younger bucks go every season , hoping they will grow older,and reach true trophy size. And am sure some of them , we got later on that we let go at 2 1/2 years old were real
Trophys when we finally caught up with them at 4, 5, 6 1/2 years old............. so if the best buck I see in Kansas is a common,10 pointer, with 20" spread, 4" brow tines and 4.5" bases, he is safe to prance around all day as I would have no interest in bother him in anyway! I will have a wonderful time, whether I fire the rifle or not. Seeing the country, and being in hunting camp with friends ,is about 90% of it for me , hunting is 10%. I realize for some it is just the other way around.............. :?
I am used to just watching others take game......
IMG_20160128_130240358_HDR.jpg

Back