Leupold VX6 vs. duralyt vs. conquest HD

Charles, I agree with your decision logic and hope that you are very happy with the VX-6 Leupold. Everyone that I know who has a VX-6 consistently likes them and are satisfied with their choice. Since we spoke last, I bought an HD 5, 3-12x42 Conquest with the RX 600 reticle for my custom Winchester .270. It also has the T* (Tessar) glass from Zeiss Germany but not with the distortion at lower power, at least mine does not have it.

I really love the scope and the fact that I can set the reticle at 13X and the stadia wires are on at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards with no adjustments, or so the Zeiss optical software tells me. So now. I have four Zeiss scopes, (2) Conquests, an HD 5, 3-15x42 and a Diavari V/VM, 5-15x42.

With all of the Christmas discounting being done on the Duralyte line, especially the 2-8x42, that the HD-5 is a winner and the reputation of the poor performance on both the Duralyte and on the Zeiss Terra product line, that Zeiss has shot themselves in the foot marketing-wise, with reducing the lines of Conquest available and raising the price of the DH-5 scopes. Watch them scramble to regroup?

Oldtrader3":10uc1cra said:
Charles, I agree with your decision logic and hope that you are very happy with the VX-6 Leupold. Everyone that I know who has a VX-6 consistently likes them and are satisfied with their choice. Since we spoke last, I bought an HD 5, 3-12x42 Conquest with the RX 600 reticle for my custom Winchester .270. It also has the T* (Tessar) glass from Zeiss Germany but not with the distortion at lower power, at least mine does not have it.

I really love the scope and the fact that I can set the reticle at 13X and the stadia wires are on at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards with no adjustments, or so the Zeiss optical software tells me. So now. I have four Zeiss scopes, (2) Conquests, an HD 5, 3-15x42 and a Diavari V/VM, 5-15x42.

With all of the Christmas discounting being done on the Duralyte line, especially the 2-8x42, that the HD-5 is a winner and the reputation of the poor performance on both the Duralyte and on the Zeiss Terra product line, that Zeiss has shot themselves in the foot marketing-wise, with reducing the lines of Conquest available and raising the price of the DH-5 scopes. Watch them scramble to regroup?

Charlie,

Zeiss screwed up with that duralyte on the 3-12 version for sure. They are also behind the curve on their Magnification range on the diavari's. I was hoping that they would introduce the victories with 6x and slash the prices on the 4x. Now that I have bought a Leupold watch them do it!

I think the conquest HD is a great scope. Now sure it is any better than what the original Conquest were but 5x is nice! Again, my goals were a larger 30mm tube with appropriate erector. I've also been told by more than one that the VX6 edges the conquest in resolution. My bench mark for a "great scope" is the Conquest so, with an improvement even though slight I can't be disappointed with the 6.

I would also add that the 6 sells itself. It had to considering how badly Leupold screwed the marketing on this one!

Take a look at my thread over "there" and tell me what you think of the stock. :>)

chs

Just to let you know my Custom 280AI is just about done. I am going to sell my 270 win in the CDL. I am really having trouble choosing between keeping the Leica & my VX6. I am really leaning towards the Leupold:). If I do go with it I will get the CDS re calibrated.
Just a opinion :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I have two VX6 scopes. They are fine scopes. Your logic is impeccable, Charles. Dan, you might want to go carefully on surrendering the Leica. I've picked up a couple more Leicas, and they are top flight glass.

Doc, I agree with you 100% but the fine reticle just doesn't catch my eye the same as the VX6:(.
But still trying to decide :wink:. Maybe I won't sell my CDL either so may just swap over the scopes :mrgreen:. I have made a few long shot with the 35 Whelen with the Leica on. It is as fine a scope as I have!

Blessings,
Dan

Please keep your CDL, you would likely regret selling it unless of course you nephew still wants it :)

Charles thanks for the detailed report, I'm sure it will help others for when they put their hard earned money down on a scope.

gerry if I do sell my CDL & my nephew doesn't take it you will be given first option on it my friend :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

I do hope you or your nephew keeps a great rifle in family, of course it would get a good home here :)

Dan, I have a "pre-cancerous, freckle" on my left eye retinal surface which, besides making me lose my sight, will also become malignant soon if I do not have it laser excised from the surface of the retina in my eye. I use my left eye as my master eye for shooting pistol.

In preparation for this surgery, I have been watching the scope market hoping that, if there is a marketing shakeup in the optics market next year perhaps, I will benefit by being able to buy an additional (probably?) Zeiss scope to replace one of the older, cheaper Leupold's on one of my rimfire rifles.

In addition to a line shakeup by Zeiss in 2013, Steiner has combined technology with a Burris joint venture to produce a high quality optics line for both Steiner and high-end Burris scopes in their Greeley Colorado (Burris) plant using German glass and coatings, plus, US assembly, testing and packaging for a better, more cost effective optical product.

Considering these factors along with a market saturation of models and manufacturers attempting to play in the low-end premium segmentation of the optical scope market may make conditions ideal for a shakeout of some product segments in the near future. I am keeping my powder dry and waiting to see what Zeiss does during FY2014 and what if any buying opportunities for the Victory become available? Hide and wait.

gerry":1a0x2xj9 said:
DrMike":1a0x2xj9 said:
Man, is that an offer, or what? :grin:

I do know his rifle is an excellent shooter :grin:

You are correct; and the bolt is on the wrong side, which would work for you.

Lefties make this forum just a little bit better :mrgreen:. We keep the righties some what
grounded :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

Sounds like a great optic Chuck. They are pretty good for the money I think. The VX6 2x12 with the #4 Illuminated with CDS is alot of scope for the money. It has tempted me a bit, just not sure I could take the plunge. I'd love to put it side by side with my Swaro on my 338.. Chances are, neither scope would let me down for any of my hunting.

Congrats on the 44mm.. I know that caused you a little lost sleep! :lol:

SJB358":e0gc3858 said:
Sounds like a great optic Chuck. They are pretty good for the money I think. The VX6 2x12 with the #4 Illuminated with CDS is alot of scope for the money. It has tempted me a bit, just not sure I could take the plunge. I'd love to put it side by side with my Swaro on my 338.. Chances are, neither scope would let me down for any of my hunting.

One can never say that I jumped to this conclusion in a hasty manner! :lol:

c. schutte":14oyhlqq said:
SJB358":14oyhlqq said:

Nope! No one can say that you were hasty about this decision but you had time with the rifle build to decide, good choice!

Charlie you get that eye looked after ASAP my friend. We want you ready for this coming fall to be able to knock down a animal or 2 :mrgreen:.
In all of our discussions we have not mentioned a bad piece of glass :) it is likely that the scopes are more capable than we are :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan, I intend to get that taken care of. Being deaf already is bad enough without being blind as well.

c. schutte":3k3aeso2 said:
SJB358":3k3aeso2 said:

Hasty is relative, and that's about the quickest you've ever decided on a scope in the time I've known you. ;)

Back