Leupolds new Windplex reticule ?

I don't have one E, but Jim does on his 338 RUM. Pretty sure he really likes his. Seems like a pretty simple reticle in order to account for some wind.

Well lets hope he chimes in as I ordered a VX2 /CDS windplex, yesterday after a buddy bought 7 old green box 44-40 shells from me for $250! Lol guess you saw that coming!

Nice. Those VX2's are a pretty danged good bargain on a hunting rifle these days.

SJB358":18eljklm said:
Nice. Those VX2's are a pretty danged good bargain on a hunting rifle these days.
Yeah they are if they're the new model and not left overs from when Leupold did there product up grade. They new VX2's are suppose to be the old VX3.

I noticed all the bigger outfits are trying to dump their inventory of the leupold cds that were duplex models, as of about Early last summer when they first introduced the Windplex, I guess someone at the factory has decided it is now the standard reticule, for CDS models , someone from Oregon was discussing it over on Campfire, claimed he knew the lady at Leupold that actually designed it for the factory?

Earle,

I have the Windplex reticle in a VX-6 3-18x44mm mounted on my 338 RUM. The hash marks are 1 MOA and they are spot on at 800 yds. Great system and I think you are going to like it.

JD338

Thanks for confirming that JD, I have had the hots for a CDS scope for a while, so will see how we take to the windplex reticule?

JD338":3lrd65g6 said:
Earle,

I have the Windplex reticle in a VX-6 3-18x44mm mounted on my 338 RUM. The hash marks are 1 MOA and they are spot on at 800 yds. Great system and I think you are going to like it.

JD338

JD , what power setting is the reticle true ?

jimbires":3fd5yjsx said:
JD338":3fd5yjsx said:
Earle,

JD338

JD , what power setting is the reticle true ?

Jim,

I seems to be spot on at 15x and 18x at 300, 400, 600 and 800 yds.
In my first attempt at 800 yds at 18x, my first shot was correct elevation but off the 15" plate
by a few inches. I held 2 MOA with the Windplex reticle and darn near center punched the gong.

JD338

cloverleaf":tkxql7ku said:
So do you think that reticle is worthwhile in a 3-9 VXII set at say 6x?

I would think so Troy.

JD338

After playing atound with it a little I am starting to wonder if my old eyes are not quite up to how FINE those tiny hash marks are??? Boy they are small, like the Zeiss Z600 , as it gets dark even though the scope is still in bussiness, these fine markings have long since gone disapeared!

Thanks Jim,
I actually have a green lazer mounted ontop of the Weaver its adjustable as to how tight a beam it projects, I have it adjusted to cover about a 5 ft circle at 300 yards! You can see their whiskers,on agood clear nite, alot less on stormy nites, blowing snow, foggy, etc
I had a stream light and loved it but these coyotes RUN the minute you hit them with regular white light ,so had to go to the green lazer :mrgreen:

35 Whelen":2bfjspod said:
Thanks Jim,
I actually have a green lazer mounted ontop of the Weaver its adjustable as to how tight a beam it projects, I have it adjusted to cover about a 5 ft circle at 300 yards! You can see their whiskers, lol
I had a stream light and loved it but these coyotes RUN the minute you hit them with regular white light ,so had to go to the green lazer :mrgreen:

What light are you running E?

35 Whelen":265dkwx8 said:
Thanks Jim,
I actually have a green lazer mounted ontop of the Weaver its adjustable as to how tight a beam it projects, I have it adjusted to cover about a 5 ft circle at 300 yards! You can see their whiskers, lol

Earle,

I am certain that the Streamlight TLR-1 Game Spotter is exactly what you are looking for.
At 200 yds, it will illuminate the area where the coyotes are but the light wavelength will not spook them. The black reticle will contrast nicely against the green light. And the eyes, oh do they have a nice green glow.

JD338

Scotty,
I run a Lazer Genetics ND3x50 in the sub zero model, its about the only light I have found that still has it at three hundred......
Back when I bought it they were $400, now they are much less...... excellent light but the generators in any lazer dont like cold weather at all, so that is always a problem.....
I will have to check out Jims idea? Always looking for something better!
The ND3 has a great beam adjustment that allows you at 300 yds to dail it into something as small as few inches in diameter, out to a nice soft green glow 10 ft across! And this seams to really confuse coyotes, and they obviously dont know what it is! Lots of times they will go back to knawing on the bait again! But if you have never shot game at 300yds, under a light, it is a whole different deal....... 8)
E
Here is what it looks like, preasure switch is Velcroed under forearm
20160118_111256.jpg

Back