lever action addition

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
Dr Mike, your response to my question was appreciated and it also prompted this thread

I currently own a
Win 71 348
Marlin 95 45/70
Browning BLR 7mmwsm

and my grandfather has ( which someday, hopefully a long time from now, will be mine, but of course I can use them now )

Savage 99 250/3000
and a couple different Henrys

my question is two fold

1. if I buy a Win 94 -- based on the calibers I have, would you get a 30/30 for nostalgia reasons or perhaps a 356 or ?
2. I love lever action rifles--what other lever would you have to have, if you were collecting them

at this time the 94 is the only one I am looking for but maybe there are others I should be considering ????

You've got a nice collection of levers going there.

If I had the want of a 94, the .30-30 is the only one I'd consider... the two are linked together from birth. Quite literally- "made for each other" in the same way the 99 and the 250/3000 are, or the .348 in the 71 is. A .356 in a "Big Bore 94" would be ok, but the OCD part of me would want to start at the beginning.

I haven't hunted with my 30-30 (a ancient Marlin) in years, but I can't simply imagine NOT owning it.

Cheyenne,

You have a pretty good collection of lever guns. I do like the Winchester Model 71 and the old Savage 99s are a joy (I had one in 38-55 for some time). I also have (again) a BLR in 358 Win. The 30-30 is assuredly a classic, and I would never knock it. However, I began to collect the Big Bores some years back. I have had three .375 Wins, though I have none at the moment. I have two .307s and three .356s. I have taken nothing with the .307, but I appreciate the manner in which it extends the reach of the 30-30 by a considerable degree. I have taken moose, elk, mule deer, black bear and grizzly with the .356. I would give serious consideration to a Model 94 Timber Carbine in 444 if I found one at a reasonable price. I recently shopped for another .307 when I saw it offered at $650, but backed off at the last in order to pick up an AR. Funnily enough, I've never owned a Model 94 chambered in 30-30. I did briefly own a Model 64 chambered in that cartridge, but it slipped away. It isn't that I am opposed to the 30-30; it is just that I got sidetracked by the Big Bores and never found my way back to the 30-30. I do not own a Model 1886, but I should.

Funny, but I went back to the .30-30, after years of using a .45/70 Marlin... The .30-30 is just so doggone shooter friendly...

Guy

I don't deny what you are saying, Guy. The 30-30, whether chambered in a Winchester Model 94 or a Marlin Model 336, is shooter friendly. An individual armed with one of these has enough fire-power to tackle almost any game in NA. One could do far worse than to use a 30-30 for the fall hunt. I likely never should have let the Model 64 out of my clutches, but those things happen. There is ample time to mourn after the fact.

I'm with the others, a clean M94 30-30 loaded up with some quality bullets is a pretty handy rifle.

hodgeman, guy, dr mike, Scotty thank you

I think I will look for the 30/30 in the 94

so-----------then I will have

250-3000 99 Savage
7mmwsm blr Browning
30-30 94 Win
348 71 Win
45-70 95 Marlin

plus those old Henry's which are 45 Colt ( I think ) and something else, was there a 44-40 or 40-30 ? I don't remember what he told me, but a couple of old Henry rifles.

What else would you add to this collection ? An absolutely must have lever rifle

Also, I really like the 348 but I also use the 7mmwsm blr--a lot. love that rifle and caliber. If you like levers and and want a mid caliber, the Browning BLR in the 7mmwsm is a nice one

Cheyenne,

The Winchester Big Bore '94 in 375 Winchester would be a great pick. A Winchester M88 in 308 Win or 358 Win would be very cool.

JD338

JD338":cuprcqsf said:
Cheyenne,

The Winchester Big Bore '94 in 375 Winchester would be a great pick. A Winchester M88 in 308 Win or 358 Win would be very cool.

JD338

Jim, that 375 would slip right in there between the 348 and 45/70--as would the 358. But I have been thinking about Dr mikes favorite lever caliber as well, the 356--something between the 348 and 45/70 seems inevitable

AFG270":13pumpqv said:
Okay folks, photos! Love to see nice lever actions.

Model 94, .356 Win

Model 94, .307 Win

Model 94, 375 Win

Model 94, 356 Win

Model 94, 375 Win

I've owned or now own several Model 94s. This is a sampling from the past two years.

Found an additional old photo from a couple of years back. This shows the BLR, .358 Win (which I just reacquired), a Model 94 .375 Win (which I sold off last year) and a couple of Model 94 .356 Wins.

If you want nostalgia in a lever action, you could find a Savage 1899 in .303 Savage. Don't let the .303 part fool or discourage you, it's true .30 cal. Same power as a .30-30, but can be loaded with spitzer bullets because of a rotary magazine. I have a Savage 99C in .308.
wjVs7Dp.jpg

There are 99's in .30-30 as well. Or you could also go with a 99 in .300 Savage.
Arthur Savage started making lever action rifles in 1895, and modified the 1895 in 1899, which later became the 99.
He was way ahead of his time.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Dr Mike has some real purty lever actions... Mine can't compare. But here they are. Good rifles each of them:

My .30-30 Glenfield (a low-budget Marlin) with the 2.5x Leupold, on a bear hunt yesterday:

A better photo of the rifle, it's not all that bad looking for a budget rifle:

Shoots great too! Buddy of mine, a South-African professional hunter - giving the little Glenfield a try:

First round hit, at 300 yards, with factory 170 gr soft-point ammo, from sitting, no support:

My all-time favorite rifle, even above my custom rigs, the Marlin 39A:

.30-30 Marlin 336 I used to own. It was a very fun rifle!

.45-70 Marlin 1895 I sold to a friend of mine. It is a GREAT rifle! He's taken bison & whitetail with it.

Savage 99 in .22 Hi-Power:

Somewhere I've got a photo of the .308 Win, Browning BLR too. It's another very good rifle!

Regards, Guy

Guy, the Glenfield is a delightful rifle. Handsome is according to usefulness, and yours is very useful. I like the Model 39A, as fine a little lever rifle as one could own. I could surely be tempted to attempt a trade with you for that little Marlin.

DrMike":3dryqyc5 said:
Guy, the Glenfield is a delightful rifle. Handsome is according to usefulness, and yours is very useful. I like the Model 39A, as fine a little lever rifle as one could own. I could surely be tempted to attempt a trade with you for that little Marlin.

Don't see myself ever trading that 39A. Even if I sold off all my other rifles, I'd likely keep the .22 Marlin. :mrgreen:

Lever action rifles are fun! And, they work. A fact which seems to amaze some folks...

Regards, Guy

Thanks to all who share their leveractions. One can never outgrow a leveraction rifle. I had a period of 5 years where I didn´t have one. Something was just missing.

at work and internet is spotty at best, but wanted to ask your opinion of the Sako Finnwolf 308. My grandfather seems to feel it would be a nice one to own and he may buy one

Dr Mike, 356 or 375 ? I am seriously thinking about the 356, but wanted your opinion.

Dark horse, yes we have the henry 44-40

Guy, it is funny you mention the 22--which lever action 22 would you recommend

It might be awhile before I am able to see your answers or respond, so let me thank you now

Back