Levermania!

Guy Miner":20gjhq59 said:
Grundy53":20gjhq59 said:
I never really gave lever actions much thought. Until I bought my first one last year. Now I want more... a lot more! I have a .338 marlin express and love it. Got to love a lever gun that shoots a 200 grain bullet with the same ballistics as a 180 grain 30-06 (factory ammo).

sent from my typewriter

Lever guns are a whole lot of fun. I was impressed with what I heard about that .338 Marlin when it was introduced.

Try a good shooting .30-30, .44 or .357 lever action someday - they're amazing. Low recoil, and lots of fun. Surprisingly accurate too. Although I used to always put peep sights on my lever action rifles, I've grown more fond of low powered scopes as my eyes have aged. A little 2.5x Leupold, or one of the 1-4x type variables is just about perfect for me, on a lever action rifle.

Regards, Guy
Yeah, can't wait to add to my collection. I put a Williams peep sight on mine and love it.

sent from my typewriter

Grundy53":3aj3ju9w said:
I never really gave lever actions much thought. Until I bought my first one last year. Now I want more... a lot more! I have a .338 marlin express and love it. Got to love a lever gun that shoots a 200 grain bullet with the same ballistics as a 180 grain 30-06 (factory ammo).

sent from my typewriter

That 338 Marlin is a cool cartridge. Wished there were a couple more bullets for it. It would be a heckuva cool thumper. Excellent ballistics too for a lever rifle.

Grundy53":1fb4t9lv said:

sent from my typewriter

A Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag or .44 Mag will probably cause you to stroke out from joy then! :grin:

Just watched them build a few of these on their TV show and of course everyone got to shoot them and they had a lotta recoil rich slow video on the show! For sure a thumper :mrgreen:

Two of my favorite lever rifles. A Model 1886 Lightweight in .33 Win. and a standard grade Winchester Model 71 in .348 Win. I reload for both and am now working up some cast bullet loads for the .348.

Attachments

• Old Winchesters.jpg
    Old Winchesters.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 334
duckcreekdick":dzohizwa said:
Two of my favorite lever rifles. A Model 1886 Lightweight in .33 Win. and a standard grade Winchester Model 71 in .348 Win. I reload for both and am now working up some cast bullet loads for the .348.

A couple of highly desirable rifles. They look very good, as well. I do love these older Winchesters.

DCD, those are just AWESOME rifles buddy! Very much two of my favorites. I would love to have a M71 348 Winchester someday. Just a super cool round with alot of punch.

I'm thinking the rest of the season, elk & whitetail, may well see me carrying my .30-30 Glenfield, topped by the little 2.5x Leupold and full of 170 gr Federal factory ammo. Have had one heck of a time getting .30-30 bullets for handloading this past year and actually have more factory loaded ammo than handloads avail to me at this point.

Why not use the ol' .30-30 within reasonable range? I surely do like carrying it and shoot it well to a couple of hundred yards.

Guy

Guy let me know if you need some 30-30 bullets bro.

You know Guy my Marlin 30AS absolutely loves 170 grain Remington Factory Corelokts. It drops em on top of one another all day long.

I hope you intersect with a nice animal when this one is in your hands.

Yeah, I was using the 170 gr Remington bullet in my handloads. Had ordered them 500 at a time and they've proven themselves quite nicely. But.... I didn't realize I was so low on them when The Great Component Shortage hit... Crud.

I can go down to the LGS and buy my choice of .30-30 ammo anytime, but all my usual sources of .30-30 bullets dried up and haven't come back on line... One store here does have the 170 gr Sierra in stock. So, I've got three boxes of 170 gr Federal ammo and it shoots just fine for my purposes. Good to go.

A penetration test I did a couple of years ago showed the 170 gr bullets penetrating as deep as some of the .375 H&H loads!

Link: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16570

A relative of mine filled his freezer with elk meat year after year, using a .30-30, so I'm not real worried about that. I'm just after a cow for the freezer anyway. Already have big ol' elk antlers on the wall and no room for another big elk rack in the house anyway. Of course, I wouldn't turn down another nice 6x6 if he dared reveal himself to the mighty .30-30 Glenfield! :grin:

Regards, Guy

What do you all prefer on a lever gun? A scope, the ghost ring sights by XS, or both?

Either going to mount the xs sights, the Zeiss 2.5-8, or for the best of both worlds the xs rail woth ghost rings and the Zeiss. ..

When I was younger and my eyes adjusted quicker, a peep sight (usually a Williams) was the preferred sighting method. Now that I'm somewhat older, and since I do enjoy hitting what I am shooting at, I prefer to scope my lever guns.

I like a low powered scope on the lever rifles. They seem to fit the rifles pretty well and don't ruin the balance as much as a larger scope would. I run a VXR 1.25x4 on my 45-70, but there are dozens of good ones that'll work excellent on your XLR.

Back