Levermania!

I am going to eventually pick up the rail with ghost rings from XS, then save up again for a Trijicon 1-4x24.

DrMike":2kc0uyrn said:
When I was younger and my eyes adjusted quicker, a peep sight (usually a Williams) was the preferred sighting method. Now that I'm somewhat older, and since I do enjoy hitting what I am shooting at, I prefer to scope my lever guns.

Yes, same here. I like a low-powered scope on my lever action rifles. This .45/70 is set up with the factory iron sights and a 2.5x Leupold. Works out great! I had that scope on my .45/70 Marlin for a lot of years.

A low-powered variable, like a 1-4x or a 1.5-5x would work well too.

Some shooters/hunters really like the forward mounted "Scout Scopes" but I'm not a fan. I'd highly recommend you give a rifle with a Scout Scope a pretty good try before buying one for your rifle.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":5wtwoet5 said:
Some shooters/hunters really like the forward mounted "Scout Scopes" but I'm not a fan. I'd highly recommend you give a rifle with a Scout Scope a pretty good try before buying one for your rifle.

Regards, Guy

Good advice, that. I find it difficult to acquire a consistent sight picture with the scout scope. I like a low power scope mounted as normally mounted on any other rifle.

I do use extended eye relief scopes on hand guns and believe that is what they are best suited for. I go as far as using regular eye relief scopes on my TC Contenders in most rifle cartridges. These I have a bipod attached and use one hand on top the scope to hold it down when I fire. No scope eye yet. :roll: :lol:

Back