Levermania!

FOTIS":2lfth2ka said:
Scott what is your load?

WW brass, 45 grains LVR, CCIBR2, 200 grain RNCL.

I also use the Lee FCD for crimping. Awesome little combo.

I got back into lever guns this year. I bought a battered Marlin 1894CS in 357 used. I added a XS sight systems rail with their ghost ring rear and blade front, plus a Leupold Prismatic 1x illuminated scope. It isn't the purist lever gun but is nice for using around the ranch. I carry it in one of my trucks during the summer months when I'm not working to hard on thinning down the coyotes. I like that it is compact enough to be out of the way until it is needed, but still has some punch if necessary. It needs to be zeroed with one load and used with only that load which is a challenge with the ammo shortage. I need to start loading 357. It is accurate with several factory loads but doesn't shoot any of them to the same point of impact.

The next lever gun I got was a Rossi 1892 in 357. It is just stock except for a trigger/action job. When I got it the darn thing jammed all the time. A trip to the gunsmith found the chamber full of burrs so for $75 I got it all cleaned up and stoned, now I love it. It shoots lots of ammo to the same POI, feeds everything, and just flat works. It lives wedged between the seat and console of my Ford until coyote pelts get decent and I go to the scoped gun.

Last one I picked up is a Winchester 94AE Ranger in 30-30. Again, nothing fancy just a good working gun. It also got a trigger job and I added a 1-4x Leupold VX-II I had around. It is going to be my gun for deer drives or for deer recovery. I get called by a couple of my colorblind friends to track their bucks down for them. If I still have a tag I would feel pretty good packing this rifle along just in case I need to finish something in the thick stuff.

The Rossi and Winchester especially really jump to the shoulder and point well for me. I like the lever guns when I don't need to much reach.

Lever guns don't generally fit in too well where I hunt, so there aren't many around. I've got a few hanging around that don't get shot much but they are sure a lot of fun.

After gathering up an old 1895 Marlin recently, I find that levers in general and me don't get along, very well. But I will do my best to put it to use, in the heavy wooded areas around home this fall.

Once a bolt guy, always a bolt guy! It's sad,

Kodiak":2yhisbb4 said:
I find that levers in general and me don't get along, very well.

That's almost unAmerican! I'm sure you'll soon be addicted as you carry a good lever gun through the thick woods.

I just picked up my first lever a mint model 94 built in '78 in 30-30 . I don't think it was ever fired! I'm gonna keep it original and just use the open sights. I already love it and can't believe I waited this long to get a lever!

But you need one like this Fotis.

Attachments

• IMG_20130805_102442 99 butt stock 14.jpg
    IMG_20130805_102442 99 butt stock 14.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 412
I love lever guns! I have used my .308 Sav 99CD for 35 years on all sorts of game, from ground squirrels to moose, and have never been let down or embarassed by carrying it. It is accurate, comfortable to carry and fast on follow up shots. It sees way more action than my bolt action .270 Sav 110. Wish they still made the Sav 99!

Other lever guns: .250 Sav Savage 99A
.30-30 Winchester pre-64 Mod 94 Carbine.

Still dreaming of a Sav 99 in .358 Win.

Local shop has a Win 94 in 30-30.Asking $575 OTD..really tempting but I am saving for a shotgun. .

ajvigs":32irgh65 said:
Local shop has a Win 94 in 30-30.Asking $575 OTD..really tempting but I am saving for a shotgun. .

A shotgun! Man, I got one of them AJ!!!

I never really gave lever actions much thought. Until I bought my first one last year. Now I want more... a lot more! I have a .338 marlin express and love it. Got to love a lever gun that shoots a 200 grain bullet with the same ballistics as a 180 grain 30-06 (factory ammo).

sent from my typewriter

Grundy53":3ixlj2ba said:
I never really gave lever actions much thought. Until I bought my first one last year. Now I want more... a lot more! I have a .338 marlin express and love it. Got to love a lever gun that shoots a 200 grain bullet with the same ballistics as a 180 grain 30-06 (factory ammo).

sent from my typewriter

Lever guns are a whole lot of fun. I was impressed with what I heard about that .338 Marlin when it was introduced.

Try a good shooting .30-30, .44 or .357 lever action someday - they're amazing. Low recoil, and lots of fun. Surprisingly accurate too. Although I used to always put peep sights on my lever action rifles, I've grown more fond of low powered scopes as my eyes have aged. A little 2.5x Leupold, or one of the 1-4x type variables is just about perfect for me, on a lever action rifle.

Regards, Guy

Back