light for caliber/high speed

freestylmx

Beginner
Feb 20, 2012
Ive generally been in the heavy for caliber camp, especially for long distance but Ive been thinking of trying out some light for caliber bullets for my 270 for picking off coyotes under 300 yards.
We all know that super high speed impacts cause some pretty devastating results.
Have any of you tried the 100/110 acubond or one of the lightweight Barnes tsx bullets for the 270 or even the 270WSM? Id like to try the 85gr E-tip at around 3600-3900 fps. I think a solid copper going ultra high speed would be a great combo. I normally do not like solid coppers at all, but for high speed I think they will work much better

My wife shot a large blacktail buck with a Barnes 110g ttsx going 3400+fps, it entered rf shoulder and was under the hide in left hind quarter, about 3 feet of penetration. Two petals were missing.

I have a Browning B-78 that I bought off a friend that previously was rechambered to 270 Wby.

It shoots the 90 gr Sierra HP into itty bitty groups and is absolutely devastating on beavers (apparently turned them into red mist out to 200 yards). He never chronograph end the load but guessed them in the 3900 fps range out of the 28" barrel.

It also shoots the Wby factory load with the 100 gr Hornady Spire point into 1/2" groups so where in the 3600 fps range.A mule deer buck shot at 200 yards stumbled forward a couple of steps and was done. Expansion was devastating, completely ruining the whole front onside quarter. (I have not taken another deer with that load). Two different coyotes shot with this load between 100 and 150 yards had their vitals (thoracic and abdominal ) turned into mist on the ground where they stood. They did not go anywhere, but their brains were still trying for oxygen from lungs that were no longer there. I could not have cleaned them with a scalpel and water and gotten them any cleaner. And we're completely opened from throat to anus. have never seen anything else like it.

I am currently working on a load for it with the 110 gr TSX and TTSX. I am one gr off max (77gr) with Re-22 and getting 3850 fps. I still have to shoot the loads made up with H4831SC (from 73.5-76.5 gr) to see how they will perform. It's amazing that this little pill will still be carrying almost 2000 ft-lbs of energy at 500 yards! That is still good enough for elk, but I am really looking for a long distance wolf load (out to 500 yards).

I will be trying the 110 gr AccuBond next. As it was designed for the 6.8 SPC, this would be used for coyotes and wolves, if successful. I am thinking that a water jug test would be in order for this to see bullet performance.

Sorry, I only used the 140 gr AccuBond in my 270 WSM. And have not tried anything lighter than the 130 gr in the 270 Win.

Freestylmx, I have only shot 140's or heavier out of my current 270 Win but if I ever shoot a mono bullet out of it I would be looking at the lighter bullets just like you at warp speed. If you do go with the 110's or lighter I hope you share your results with us.

The 90gr BSB is actually a tough little bullet. I'm sure it would work great for what your looking to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry":1edkeka4 said:
Freestylmx, I have only shot 140's or heavier out of my current 270 Win but if I ever shoot a mono bullet out of it I would be looking at the lighter bullets just like you at warp speed. If you do go with the 110's or lighter I hope you share your results with us.
I will definitely come back with my results..

Thebear_78":evur6bb4 said:
The 90gr BSB is actually a tough little bullet. I'm sure it would work great for what your looking to do with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't even aware Nosler had the bonded bullet in .277 in 90gr.
I would love to try that one also

I shoot them in my 277 WLV. Really tough little bullet. Stubby little devil. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer or hog with one. I'm hoping my daughter might get s chance to shoot a black bear or bou with one

Back