Liking Leupold is not as popular as it use to be!!!!!

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I have owned Swaro, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Buck master, Burris Signature and FF II, Weaver's best, Simmons, Tasco's, Pentax, Leupold, just to mention a few and also other makes I would not mention that I tried.

I have hunted with all of the above much less shot some comp with some of them and done all sorts of load development with the above scopes. Because I favor VX-III's for hunting you would not believe the comments I receive from people who have not owned as many scopes or hunted as much or shot at the bench as much but they enough to put down Leupold.

Now Leupold is not perfect, but you would think listening to some today at our shooting club that Leupold was a second class line of scopes and that you did not get you dollar worth or customer service stinks or they are not innovative enough and their glass is second rate.

How do you all feel about Leupold?

I will start by saying when it comes to the hunting VX-III scopes I trust them the most in the field and on top of that, they are to me the best looking scopes on the market (I am talking only about their VX-III scopes for hunting purposes).

While I hold nothing against Leupold, and own one that works fine every time I use it, I don't buy them anymore. I don't have a customer service problem. I don't have a problem regarding the quality of their glass. I don't have a problem with the durability of their scopes in the field, nor their ability to hold zero. I don't buy them because they are significantly more money than comparable quality scopes that meet all the same criteria for my use. Additionally, if I'm going to buy a scope in that price range, I'll get a Zeiss Conquest, as I believe they are better glass (at least they are better for my eyes) for the same money as the Leupold. I have nothing against the gold ring, I just am not willing to pay extra for it.

Have been using them since 1974 with no complaints. Matter of fact, I still have that 1974 vintage 3-9x, and it still works just fine. Leupold scopes have proven to be very user-friendly for me. I use them for target and hunting. Good scopes. Perfect? No - but what is?

I personally think Nikon high end scopes give them a run for the money and save me a few dollars. I have only owned a leupold vxII and vari-x II. I also think the Bushnell 6500 Elite is quite a scope, but don't have that kind of money.

I have Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarchs, Kahles and Conquests. Just got my 1st Leupy in a 2.5 x 8 but have not shot it on my 7m-08 yet. I really like the Conquest and Kahles as they seem to have the clearest view to my eye and have had no issues with mechanics. But I had heard so much good about the Leupy that I had to give one a try.

I really think that when you get to the $400.00 - $600.00 scopes there is not all that much difference....course that is just my opinion with my quite limited experience with them and most of those are Conquests.

You know people like to argue the flavor of the month, especially when what they argue is mostly unprovable....and personal opinion based.
Long

I am a big fan of Leupold. I have several scopes and have not had any problems other than self inflicted. The Customer service and custom shop at Leupold is second to none.

For me, Leupold all the way.

JD338

I know of millionaires that go to Africa and only use Leo's, and these guys do know about hunting and owning the best. That speaks volumes.

My rifles currently wear Leupold vxIII and Zeiss conquests. I have had Simmons, Nikon, Bushnell, Tasco to name a few.
I like the range finding of the VXIII but prefer the clarity of the conquest.
My 3x9x40 conquests are clearer and brighter than the 3.5x10x40 Leupolds. I see more detail at 9x with the conquest than I can with the Leupold at 10x.
All of the other features are very comparable.

How do I feel about Leupolds? Well, let's see, I have well over a dozen Leupolds in my safe and no other scope brands, NONE!

I currently have two rifles in my safe that I am doing load development on for a friend. He hunts all over the world. They are both wearing Leupold scopes.

I helped my son-in-law by giving him two scopes for his rifles to hunt with, both Leupolds.

I just spent the day shooting silhouettes with a bunch of friends. I think I saw one Weaver scope. all the rest were Leupolds. Some reason for this, I imagine.

Leupolds are the standard that all others are judged by, in my opinion. Sure, you can spend more, but I really do not see that much difference. In binoculars and rangefinders, I sure as hell do, but not in scopes.

I'm sorry, but I am still a huge Leupold fan. Are they perfect, not really, but they are the best out there in my opinion. I told them on the phone, I would not have one of their 4X12 or 4.5X14 scopes that do not have some sort of AO system. (Kind of pissed them off, actually.) But, the fact that I am 60 years old may have something to do with it.

I have a Nikon BDC 3x9 on my Savage Stevens and 11 Leupolds.

sFi_fencing.gif

I started this thread just to see what others felt and experienced. Now without going into a lot of detail about my experience in the field pursuing game and at the bench developing loads, or hard difficult hunting trips where most things are damaged, broken or scared and scratched up. After owning what money says is the best, and popular opinion of hunting and shooting magazines say one must own to be part of the informed. I choose for the hard work, the difficult hunting conditions of dawn, twilight, hazy days, foggy mornings and evenings, down pours and sun right in your face while you are trying to shoot the game you have been hunting for six days, I SIMPLY CHOOSE LEUPOLD HANDS DOWN. And no apology given. Been fooled from time to time and left Leupold but have certainly come to my senses.

Don't talk about glass being the reason for accuracy without taking owner ship of the fact that this three shot group out of a 358Win was shot using a 1.5-5x20mm VX-III on five power. Oh, the scope cost less than any thing in it's class so the money thing is just a talking point by many. Here the three shot group at 100yds.

IMG_8052.jpg

I have more Leupy than anything else, and the other brands of scopes will probably be replaced by more Leupys in the future... assuming I can hold off buying any more guns before I do. I would like to try some Nightforce glass, and I'd like to play with some euro glass, but unless my income improves dramatically, I'll just stick with what I know and like.

I have a few Leupolds (VX-III in several powers and VXL), and I like them. They compare favourably to Swarovski, Kahles and Zeiss. I have owned several B&L 3000s and 3200s. For the money, they are a good bargain. I have more Zeiss (both Conquests and Diavaris) than any other brand. The Leupolds hold their own against the other brands. I have not had any reason for customer service, but those individuals in my circle who have needed service were treated quite fairly. I have required service on a Zeiss, and I had no complaints in that instance. I have no hesitation recommending Leupold to those asking for a scope. One of my major reasons for reommending Leupold to people that ask is that service in Canada is excellent for Leupold and for Bushnell; it is less sterling for the other varieties of scopes.

I like variety in my choice of scope. I own the following, Simmon, Weaver, Redfield, Burris, Nikon, IOR, Bausch and Lomb and of course Leupolds. I have 3 MK-4's, 1 Vari-X III, 1 Vari-X II, 1 LPS. In the future, I will have Nightforce, Swaro, Zeiss and probably S&B.

I finnally broke down and went in debt to buy a VX-II last fall. As you can tell from that statement most of my scopes have been just a step above tasco (I have SOME standards :wink: ) I generally stuck with Bushnell's, usually the cheap ones cause thats what I could afford. Some times they work out well. But with the exception of one, I have always had trouble getting a Bushnell to hold a zero from one range session to the next. They werent off a great deal and usually still shot goood sometimes great groups. Also, NONE of them have ever tracked accurately. Efforts to " shoot the box" always resulted in frustration and some interesting geometric dot to dots. I still heve a couple of them. The one on my slug gun is slated for replacement and it has survived WAY more rounds than a cheap scope should on a 12 ga.

Sighting in the VX-II on my 250 savage was the first time I shot a sub 2 inch group with factory ammo. I spent a lot of years blaming the bedding and the barrel and everything else. I havent shot it enough to prove for sure but I will give the scope some credit.

Incedentally, I work the Gun Clubs public sight in every year. There are a lot of guys at that sight in who shot four rounds a year if they kill a deer. You can see all kinds of scopes and problems there. This year I decided to pay close attention. Fully 60% percent of the Bushnell trophy or lower class scopes needed to readjust, some of them several times. I think we only had one or two guys who made adjustments to there Luey's and they were becuse they wanted too.

Again, this is not talking about the more expensive Elite's or more high dollar Tasco's weaver's or others. I am of the opinion, If you spend sufficient money almost anyone makes a good scope and some of them may be better than a Leuy.

However, I like how the luey comes up with a wide open rcticle every time, so far the adjustments track exactly and poi on the two range sessions I used it was within an inch and a half. When you take into account the crosswind and a 50 degree difference in temp between the two sessions I am satisfied so far with the Luey. AND if I'm not I have a good warranty and an american made product to back me up. All that being said, I got a deal on mine and I was still paying for the name. I know that. That ltlle gold ring may be a showing off but I dont mind.

I'm not expecting much more for 285 bucks. CL

I go way back to the pre All American products with Lymans. Later I got 10 Leupolds for the hunting rifles and they are ok.

I noticed that when looking towards the sun a Leupold crosshair fades out and turns pink.

The Zeiss Conquests came out and they have much better optics for my eye than a Leupold. The Zeiss crosshair does not fade or turn pink!

Now I have 7 Zeiss and have not bought anymore Leupolds.

The best price on Zeiss Conquests is at the demo list at Cameraland. They are new in the box at an excellent discount.

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-zeiss.html

Yes there are better scopes out there but at what cost. I have had to get customer service from Leupold. I was very pleased with the service. One scope bought in the 70's had apparently lost it's seal as the glass was dirty on the inside, the other a handgun scope not nearly that old same problem. The 70's model was reworked including reticle system the handgun scope replaced with a new model. There no questions asked as to who or where it was bought or a receipt does get some consideration. I do own other scopes but have not gotten the same service. My income and cutomer service keeps me coming back to Leupold. I do think in the last 8 years or so they have increased price signifcantly making the gap between more expensive scopes less. You may not always get what you pay for but you can't get it with out paying for it.

Back