Gun Show Rifle

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
We were discussing gun shows the other day and I mentioned I had bought a rifle. It is this Remington 700 SPS 260 Rem with 1-8 twist. Has Leupold standard base and rings plus a Redfield Revolution scope made by Leupold. Nothing has been done to the stock. I wanted to see what it was capable of as is. Tried a throw together load of 41.5grs H4350, 129gr Hornady SP Win LR primer. After getting on paper shot two groups first was 1.6 ins second was 1.3 ins (no pictures) So then I loaded up four rounds of each from 42.0 to 44.0 in half grain increases. 42.0grs was the best followed by 43.0 second. Started opening up. Will be trying other combos but at least it has one load it likes. A new trigger would help. Will be good for any of the grandkids or pawpaw to hunt with. Dan20230317_120201.jpg20230317_121510.jpg

Nice little set up you got there. I have several of the Redfield Revolution scopes , they do what they’re asked to do.

I have almost the identical setup, 260 rem sps 1:8, redfield scope, mine has loved R17 and 120BT, Or it’s been amazing with the 125 partitions. Both loads are 1/2 to 3/4”. It’s taken several Muleys and whitetail with the 125PT. I’m about to try the 130 AccuBond in it. I really like the gun. Great find

Last edited:
I have a model 670 Winchester .243 that I've had thoughts about rebarreling to .260 or .260 Ackley Improved. My brother started my nephew with a Remington model 7 in .260 with Hornady 129 gr bullets. While hunting with that rifle he had nothing but one shot kills and all were dead on the spot or within eye sight. After seeing that I've had a soft spot for the .260. Sister-in-law sold it when my brother passed and nephew was away to collage.

I have almost the identical setup, 260 rem sps 1:8, redfield scope, mine has loved R17 and 120BT, Or it’s been amazing with the 125 partitions. Both loads are 1/2 to 3/4”. It’s taken several Muleys and whitetail with the 125PT. I’m about to try the 130 AccuBond in it. I really like the gun. Great find
I've been told that RL16 does well in the 260 also. Don't have either on hand at the present. Dan

Man, that is a cool little rifle Dan. For some reason I am drawn a little to the 260 lately.. Seems like a couple moves and you'll be in the gravy!
Confirmed the H4350 Hornady 129SP load. Couple others are 1-1.5 consistently. If nothing else it will be good starter for couple of the grandkids and a plate banger at the range. I might even hunt with it if they let me, lol. Dan.

That 3 shot group looks good!

I really liked my 260 Rem while I had it.
It was the first Sako Model 85 VLS in Canada, and I ordered it with the set trigger. Loved the rifle...it just wasn't a lefty! :(
It shot 1/2" groups with the Federal Premium 140 gr ammo. Plan was to do a thorough evaluation of the 260, 6.5 CM and 6.5x55 and comparison of the performance of factory ammo and handloads in these rifles. Didn't quite come to fruition.
Sold it as I was continuing to move to LH rifles.

I do have the 6.5 CM (Browning X Bolt All Weather) and 6.5x55 (Sako 85 Hunter) in LH rifles, and they shoot very well, and are ballistic twins, so am good performance wise at this level.
I plan on sticking to 140 gr bullets in the Swede, and using 130 gr bullets in the CM.
Going to be taking the 6.5 CM to New Zealand in a couple of weeks, using the Federal 130 gr Terminal Ascent ammo on red stag and fallow deer, and the wife will use it on fallow deer and arapawa ram. Interested in seeing first hand how this bullet performs, as have only read about its performance to date.

Back