Load testing question

Joken

Beginner
Apr 21, 2008
I'm trying to develop a load for my Remington 721 30-06. I rebuilt this rifle over the winter with a BDL stock new bluing etc. Took it to the range and got three rounds all touching one another at 25yds using 180 grain Remington factory ammo. Wow, I'm thinking this is going to be easy. At 100 yards using 165gr hand loads the story changes. I consistantly shot a verticle line dead center and high from 3 to about 6 inches from center. I was out of factory loads so I don't know where they would have hit at 100yds. I had three loads Nosler Partition 165gr using RL-4350 at 53,55 and 57 grains. They all shot about the same. I'm inclined to think maybe the rifle likes the 180 grain bullet. Any suggestions on where to go next with this. Thanks, Ken in Corvallis ( I was cranking the scope down)

Joken":2xl1x4ar said:
.......I had three loads Nosler Partition 165gr using RL-4350 at 53,55 and 57 grains. They all shot about the same. I'm inclined to think maybe the rifle likes the 180 grain bullet......

What did these shoot like?

Joken, what powder?? RL(Alliant) doesn't make 4350. IMR? H? AA? My standard load for a number of different 30/06s has been 58.5-58.8grs of IMR-4350, 165gr bullet, various, with a WLR or Fed 210M primer, brass Win, Lapua and Nosler.Rick.

Partitions are picky. Took me a while to find the load my rifle liked. But when I did, wow.

OOPS! IMR NOT RL Sorry. So I'm thinking maybe I have a scope issue since I'm shooting consistantly high.

1. Make sure everything is tight (one of my scopes was falling off recently after a rebuild)

2. check the float of the barrel (probably not the issue concerning how the factory ammo shot)

3. Change bullets/powder/primers.
Considering how your rifle liked the factory ammo, if I had some 180gr Remington corelok's on the shelf I'd try them. If not, I'd try the BT's or AB, much easier to get them to group. I almost always start with the BT's first, before trying the more expensive AB's or Partitions.

Shooting one load at 25yds and then others at 100yds really won't tell you much, twenty five yard sight in will normally get you on paper at 100yds. Antelope Sniper gave you some good advice. Also when working up a load don't jump two grains at a time. You could jump from a close to max load to a bolt locker in one step. What was done to the rifle in your rebuild? After market stock and barrel? Bedded? floated barrel? What is your bullet seating depth based on? Is all the brass from the same lot? Lots of unanswered questions.
Scope may or may not be a problem you haven't done enough shooting to tell.Rick.

Back