Loading 338 Cartridges

I know that I am having good results with the 215 gr SGK in my 338-06 w/ H-414 powder (2751 fps and 1/2" groups) on the black bear taken to date, and had great results on a few bison, a grizzly, and several elk and moose with the 210 gr Partition (Federal Premium ammo shooting .9" groups) in my 338 Win Mag.
So far, the best performance has been with 200 gr Uni Cor ammunition in the 338 Federal on moose, caribou and stone's sheep. This is carrying 1500 ft lbs of energy out to 400 yards in my rifle.
My 338-06 will carry just over 1700 ft lbs out to 500 yards, while the 338 Win Mag would carry 1500 ft lbs to 500 yards (the 215 gr SGK has a higher BC and carries its velocity and energy better past 300 yards in my 338-06 than the 210 gr Partition in the 338 Win Mag).
As my LH Sako 85 Finnlight II in 338 Federal is lighter than my LH Rem 700 in 338-06, I carry it more on mountain hunts and long stalks than the 338-06, and with my average shot distance being just 127 yards over 38 years of big game hunting, it is sufficient for most of the game I hunt! I still need to hunt with my 338-06 more! It is fun to shoot! (Just a little heavy for long stalks @ 9 lbs 11 oz equipped with the scope)
For bison though, the required 2000 ft lbs of energy will mean the following limitations for the aforementioned bullets: 338 Federal at 250 yards, 338-06 at 400 yards, and 338 Win Mag at almost 400 yards.

I have finally found some of Federal's 338 Federal ammo with the 185 gr TSX, ans some 200 gr Copper so will get to see how these will perform in my Sako. (The 180 gr AccuBond ammo shot 2.764" group and the 210 gr Partition shot 1.898" group compared to .737" groups for the 200 gr Uni Cor ammo - NOTE - the gunsmith who built the rifle, who is aa much better shot than I produced a .477" group @ 200 yards with the 200 gr Uni Cor ammo!)
My goal is to develop a good load for this rifle with the 200 gr AccuBond.

While I have not owned a 340 Wby or a 338 RUM, I have shot these rifles with 225 gr ammo and was impressed by their accuracy. Recoil was manageable for both off the bench. (with LimbSaver recoil pads on both)
The 340 Wby shooting the factory 210 gr Partition shoots at the same initial velocity as the Federal Premium 160 gr AccuBond ammunition out of my STW.
Would make a heck of a pair of flat shooting performers for big game in anyone's armory!

I'm a fan of the 338 Caliber!
And my experience has been with the lighter bullet weights as recommended by the Gunsmith.

I took a 340 Wby with the older Barnes 210 XBT (clocked 3200fps) to South Africa/Namibia back in '98. It had a KDF style brake that was super loud! It shot great, took zebra, Impala, Blesbuk and Gemsbuk. It was too much of a good thing in that 5 1/2 pd rifle (before scope). It kicked the guts out of a Leupold 2.5x8 right before the trip, put on a Zeiss conquest. It came apart right before the Gemsbuk. Gut shot him. I had it rebarreled with a bit heavier barrel, ported it, chambered in 338WM but only shot the older Barnes 185XLC. Took a cow elk with that at 250yds! Love those 338s!

I currently have 3 338’s in the stable. My first was the 338 Lapua in a Savage this was by far my favorite rifle for some time. Next came the 340 Wby in a Mark V with a heavy varmint barrel. Lastly the 338 WM in a Wby Vanguard , haven’t done much with this one yet. I have the magnum end of the 338’s covered.

I took a 340 Wby with the older Barnes 210 XBT (clocked 3200fps) to South Africa/Namibia back in '98. It had a KDF style brake that was super loud! It shot great, took zebra, Impala, Blesbuk and Gemsbuk. It was too much of a good thing in that 5 1/2 pd rifle (before scope). It kicked the guts out of a Leupold 2.5x8 right before the trip, put on a Zeiss conquest. It came apart right before the Gemsbuk. Gut shot him. I had it rebarreled with a bit heavier barrel, ported it, chambered in 338WM but only shot the older Barnes 185XLC. Took a cow elk with that at 250yds! Love those 338s!
Yes, I would imagine the recoil in a 5 1/2 lb 340 Wby would be brisk! Was it the the Ultralight AccuMark?

I love the 338 Win Mag. Been loading and shooting one since I was 17 or so. I have used it on quite a decent number of elk, my old man used my first one for a brown bear, moose, elk, and even some deer hunting.

I have used the 200 Accubonds, 210 Partitions, 225 Accubonds, 250 PT's and a good number of Swift 210 Scirocco's. With the 200-210's around 2950-3050 it has been the best elk killer I have found. I used to think elk hunting and a 338 were the best thing going and probably still do to some extent, but realize everything I took with the 338 probably could have been done with the 270 Winchester mostly. What I do see and probably won't change my mind on is the impact the 338 leaves on animals, they might take a hit and stay standing but none of them wander around much which smaller cartridges will let them do now and again. I love that.

We have an old member that did a 338/375 Ruger that was/is still killing VA whitetails now and again.

I recently picked up a 338 Federal in a Kimber Classic, SS M70 Classic that is bound for JES to become a 338-06 and a Hawk Hill 3B 1-8 that is destined to be something cool eventually.

I always thought a fella who could have an 8lb 340 Wby loaded up with something 200-225 would be the king of the elk mountain with such a set up.

I have a 338-06 in a 15" TC Encore, I put this barrel together for elk hunting. Without a ton of load workup after picking the best powder from 5, I am getting 2571 with Barnes 160 TTSX bullets. I shot an elk at 180 yards with one and it weighed right at 159 gr when we found it under the hide on the far side. I was able to get 2200 out of the Nosler 210 partitions but they did not group as well and the increased velocity of the Barnes made it shoot flatter.

SJB358 I have to agree with you on the reaction when hit.When you use enough gun,there is no doubt about whether or not the animal was hit.I've done some guiding and a lot of the time people use small caliber cartridges.I have to watch really close when they shoot and sometimes it's really hard to tell if the animal runs and leaves no blood,you still have to assume it was a hit,but where?Then it's search for tracks and trails and hope you find it.Not too much fun if your in thick thorny brush.I lean towards the bigger guns.Choosing the right bullets for the game your hunting and good shot placement,the animal usually will be down rather quickly.​

Tex- my rifle was a full custom by Match Grade Arms. The sudden recoil arrest by that godawful loud brake acted like the big air piston in a pellet rifle. It was just too much of a good thing, but I sure love that 340 Wby round! I like the 338 RUM even better, but I have figured out that IF I kill a nice elk on the next ridgeline, "I have to go get that thing", lol. Anymore I like them to be "pick up truck approachable", ha

Yes, one must be aware of the work ahead before one pulls the trigger!
Are you prepared to haul that animal out of where it is, or where it may get to before expiring?!?!
And can you get it out of there before the meat spoils?

Been there, done that teaches lots of lessons! :rolleyes:

Something that I constantly have to remind young/new hunters that are enthusiastic about shooting any animal on the far side of a creek, river, swamp, canyon, etc.

As we age, we learn to hunt smarter vs harder!;)

Last edited:
I've become a fan of the 250 gr bullets in the 338 RUM. The 250 gr AB has been the go to bullet since it's introduction for crop damage deer hunting. Plenty of expansion and most deer fold in their tracks.
It works very well for me.

JD338
I've been using 225 Grain Sierras or 225 partitions and I can honestly say I have never had an Elk do anything else other than go down immediately.

Big fan of the 338s though I’ve only owned 338wm and a 338 Jarrett. Had the RUM or Lapua been around when I built the Jarrett, I would have bought one of those instead. The Jarrett is a little over 8 pounds with a vx5 on top. Does get my attention when 250grain AB launches at 2950. Pretty much been a one and done rifle/cartridge on song dogs, deer, elk and bear.

Yes, one must be aware of the work ahead before one pulls the trigger!
Are you prepared to haul that animal out of where it is, or where it may get to before expiring?!?!
And can you get it out of there before the meat spoils?

Been there, done that teaches lots of lessons! :rolleyes:

Something that I constantly have to remind young/new hunters that are enthusiastic about shooting any animal on the far side of a creek, river, swamp, canyon, etc.

As we age, we learn to hunt smarter vs harder!;)
Been there done that; don’t plan on doing it again. Went after a bull once, down a couple of thousand feet, took my boots and pants off and waded the creek, up a couple of thousand feet. Killed him on a ridge line and he slid what seemed like a thousand feet on the other side. Dad got a hold of me on the little CB radios we had just started using. We saw him go down he said, you’re about 50 yards short of where he fell. I got there and found the blood streak on the snow, he was piled up against a big ponderosa. Jesus I said on the radio, he slid clear down the other side. Dads response; good thing you’re in shape and have all week to get him out. That was close to 50 years ago. See elk on that ridge every year. Been over there once since then.

Last edited:
Been there done that; don’t plan on doing it again. Went after a bull once, down a couple of thousand feet, took my boots and pants off and waded the creek, up a couple of thousand feet. Killed him on a ridge line and he slid what seemed like a thousand feet on the other side. Dad got a hold of me on the little CB radios we had just started using. We saw him go down he said, you’re about 50 yards short of where he fell. I got there and found the blood streak on the snow, he was piled up against a big ponderosa. Jesus I said on the radio, he slid clear down the other side. Dads response; good thing you’re in shape and have all week to get him out. That was close to 50 years ago. See elk on that ridge every year. Been over there once since then.
And how many others have you watched struggle to get their elk off that ridge over the past several decades?
Bet you watched and thought "better them than me!"

Last edited:
I’ve actually talked to people contemplating the same hunt. There is an observation point in the middle of the unit, along the one road that serves the south side. I offer a few cautions. Better be ready for a long day!

Back