Loading bench inputs

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Ladies and gents,

I’m rebuilding my loading bench. The first one got moved 7 times all across the country. Now that we are in the house I think we will be in long-term it’s time for a more solid one.

I know I will screw it into the wall studs.

I have about 8 feet to work with. I know I will have at least one press (I could add a Forster, or maybe a T7). I know I will have a vise. Two vises would be super nice. Also odds and ends like a powder measure or two.

I’d appreciate any inputs from dimensions to what I’m forgetting. Lower shelves?

v/r
Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one lower shelf all the way across the bottom, on it are sand bags, ear muffs, one old press, some other antique gear, and misc "stuff" . I also have several book cases and my Army foot locker for other things.

Joel sent you my phone #.

Shoot me a text and I'll take some pictures of mine and send them to you.

David

I repurposed two bathroom sink cabinets in my loading bench. It is 8 feet long 2 1/2 feet wide and about 32" of so high. The cabinets are 30" wide. I put one on each end and use them for storage. That leaves 36" open area in the middle for leg room. I built a frame out of 2x4s connecting the two cabinets. I took a sheet of 1/2" plywood and ripped it down the middle making two pieces 8' by 2'. I stacked them on top of each other and screwed them down to the frame of 2x4s making a top that is 1" thick. It is solid and sturdy and has plenty of room.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I have a dedicated room that is 11x16 with a walk in closet. I know that I will have about an 8' long bench and another 3-4' to attach my vises to.

Build the bench high enough to stand at without stooping; if you want to sit use a high barstool. This will allow you to use rolling tool cabinets underneath. Massive, usable storage space. Consider the Ultra mount system to mount presses, vices and misc. tools. They have interchangeable plates to allow switching out tools and saving a lot of space. I have a 12' bench with 4 rolling tool cabinets and 4' of open storage on a bottom shelf that anchors the bench, 10,000 bullets will do that! Anchor to the wall and over build the bench top, mine is 2x6 car decking under 3/4"plywood. Remember to plan for good lighting and ample power. I put 3 duplex plugs at the front of the bench just under the top and a power strip at the back. Plan it out well and for the future.
Good luck,
Scott

Back