Loading lead for a 30-30 rifle. Help please

mtwarych

Beginner
Sep 2, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen,

My daughter recently purchased a 1941 Winchester 94. This is the first time I didn't want Her to purchase the rifle because it looked too new and unused! The rifle proofed out to an original, lightly used 1941 Winchester 94.

Now the big questions.

Do I look for .308 or .309 lead slugs?

Do I need to find a set of dies that slightly bells the case mouth?

Are there any ideas out there to help me load for this wonderful rifle?

I have a good grip on loading jacketed bullets but I am new to lead.

All help is appreciated.

You have to give it some time.
There are people here that will give you the correct answer but they don't live on this forum.
Be patient and the correct answer will be along.
I'll not give you an answer because I'm not sure my answer would be the right one and I'd hate to give an incorrect answer.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

For starters....

Some more info is in order. I can only guess that you're talking a 30-30 that you want to load lead bullets in?

If so- this is one of the better and more exhaustive pieces I've read on the subject- A lot of this is casting information but it's interesting- if you want to shoot boolits, then go all the way!

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/3030.htm

What little loading I've done with lead was done with normal dies, but that was in a .375 RUG, so I had a bit more case mouth to work with. Finding 30-30 load data should be a piece of cake- that has been a well worn path for a long time now.

I haven't loaded for a 30-30 in a long time now but 4895 was the "go-to" powder for me and everyone I ever knew who did. I eventually abandoned handloading for mine- I stumbled on a stash of Winchester 170gr factory for a price too low to mention. As little as I shoot it, there will be plenty left when I assume environmental thermal equilibrium.

Never loaded lead in my .30-30 rifle...

But it seems like a really cool idea. Have you "slugged" the bore to find your rifle's true bore diameter?

That might be a great first step.

Guy

Guy. I PM'ed him and asked him to contact me. I probably shoot more cast bullets than jacketed over a year but just haven't done much with the 30-30 in years. At one time I deer hunted almost exclusively with the 30-30 and cast bullet an have taker 17 deer as I recall. This elk hunt I'm doing in a few weeks will most likely be my last serious hunt as old age and bum knees make it not as much fun. Won't stop shooting though and cast is a lot cheaper than jacketed. I stopped shooting anything in the 30-30 because I just couldn't see the sights, even with those variable lensed glasses. Since I had my eyes done with implants, I'm thinking maybe I can go back to the simple life. :roll: :lol:
Paul B.

Gentlemen,

I pulled the trigger far too fast on this one. My apologies.

I would like to learn about loading lead for the 30-30.

I have loaded lead for the 45acp but none for a rifle.

This is the only forum I ask reloading questions on. I don't know why, but I trust you guys.

I will do my best to ask specific questions about lead.

Thank you to all who have looked and responded so far.

Back