Loads for upcoming deer season.

SJB358":vckxvyw3 said:
Well, since Elk are sorta deer here are my 2 loads.

338WM 210 Swift, 72 grains 17, CCI250

The Mighty 7mm Mashburn Super Mag, 154 Interbond, 78.4 H1000 and CCI250’s

I bet that 210 swift will straight up hammer an elk! I’m interest in your interbond load, I’ve thought about running that bullet through my 6.5 CM. Please post pics of its performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrispbrown27":19dndmzn said:
RaySendero":19dndmzn said:
Yep, I, too, like my Timney trigger!

My working rifle:

Kinda plain, but I think it has a lot of character and
It's my only 100% DRT I have or have ever owned.

That is a very cool rifle.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thx Chris, Its a Rebarreled VZ-24 Mauser in 9,3x62.

Used a 24" 1:12 Shilen barrel that tapers from 1.2" to 0.85" 6" from receiver, then to 0.70" at muzzle. Weighs in at 8 3/4 Lbs with that 4X scope. Had the rear action hump milled smooth so a rear scope base could be added using 2 screws like the front base. Then reblued the entire barrel and action. Added a new Timney trigger with the Timney safety so the original safety could be removed. Topped it with a Bushnell 4x scope using Weaver's quad rings. Had the original straight bolt removed and a custom bent bolt added. Also, had the bolt jeweled.

I did the stock work: Stripped it, steam pulled the dents, plugged the cleaning rod hole, reshaped the fore end, inleted the turned-down bolt, inleted safety, free-floated the barrel and glass bed the action. However, it shot better and felt more robust with a pressure point. So cut welded and refit the original top of the front sling swivel to the barrel contour and used electrical tape to build up a pressure point underneath it. Finished it with sanding, stain and 8 coats of satin polyurethane inside and out so its water proof.

Began my reload work-ups with 285 grain Prvi, then switched to 286 Nosler partitions. Got both going right at 2,400 fps at the muzzle. Sighted-in at 150 yards, its 1.5" high at 100 yards and 3.5" low at 200 yards. Never shot anything but paper with the Prvi, as they were only used to work up reloads at $0.20 per shot verses the $0.80 cost of the NPTs. I've also worked up reloads using the 300 grain Swift-As but have not shot any game with them yet cause I haven't found the beast that can stop the 286 NPT!

Quickly became my favorite all around rifle - It's knocked over every deer and hog I've shot - And they don't get up! That NPT goes straight through from any angle so far through taking out all hide, muscle and bone along the way. Blood shot meat isn't a problem, however I do have to check close and clean for bone chips. I've yet to find a bullet but exit holes are all about 1.5" round.

AGAIN, Its the only 100% DRT rifle I've own or have ever owned!

I just bought some of the 6.5 120 grain Etips off SPS to try in my .260. If I get a fast accurate load I think I might just use them exclusively

Well I went to the range today to verify is my 6.5 CM was still on. Both the 120 TTSX at 2920 fps, and 140 Sierra gameking at 2840 fps shot to the same point of aim. 1.7” high at 106 yards, and they match my custom turrent perfect. So I can now randomly use whichever I want without change of zero! Also worked with my 9.3x62 at 106 yards working on getting sights adjusted how I want to. Only used one target for this rifle so several holes are covered up from when I was adjusting sights. The six shots are my last two three shot groups of the day, after I had sights adjusted. It’s the best groups I’ve got so far with the iron sights. And is plenty good enough to use out to that distance, but it will most likely only see thickets so 50-70 yards will be a long poke.
93c95574b55521a64624cda3a02820c2.jpg

010e436969178a6ca21b5cd21b8d2117.jpg

I do need to get more consistent about lining up front sight exactly the same every time. It’s just frustrating cause the sight covers up so much area that far off lol.

DrMike":1zqkn4oy said:
Those are looking pretty good. They'll do, that's for sure.
Thanks DrMike the Howa 6.5 CM is still loving both those loads. I’m ready to see the on game performanceof the TTSX. I hope it is very good, cause I really like the speed and accuracy that load gives. I have complete faith in the 140 Gameking though, I’ve taken a few Deer with at bullet in various other 6.5 caliber rifles and it always performed excellent. I’m in love with that 9.3x62 though and it may see more field use than the Howa. Slowly my groups at 106 yards are getting better, but at 50 yards it’s just one big hole. So I know I’m the weak link at farther distance. I know those last six shots with it would have killed any deer I was shooting for at that distance. I’m just very rusty on the old iron sights. I believe if I had a blade front sight it would be easier to line up than the round bead front sight currently on the rifle now.

Sako stainless 25 06 117 grain Hornady boat tail with a hefty charge of Reloader 22 @ 3100 fps.
Lasermark 270 Weatherby magnum 140 grain Hornady boat tail Reloader 22 @ 3350 fps.
Good luck to everyone. Waiting for pictures.

REDGREEN":razhzbpz said:
Sako stainless 25 06 117 grain Hornady boat tail with a hefty charge of Reloader 22 @ 3100 fps.
Lasermark 270 Weatherby magnum 140 grain Hornady boat tail Reloader 22 @ 3350 fps.
Good luck to everyone. Waiting for pictures.
Good luck to you also! Both of those seem like great loads.

Cleveland48":2z7etyjf said:
DrMike":2z7etyjf said:
Thanks DrMike the Howa 6.5 CM is still loving both those loads. I’m ready to see the on game performanceof the TTSX. I hope it is very good, cause I really like the speed and accuracy that load gives. I have complete faith in the 140 Gameking though, I’ve taken a few Deer with at bullet in various other 6.5 caliber rifles and it always performed excellent. I’m in love with that 9.3x62 though and it may see more field use than the Howa. Slowly my groups at 106 yards are getting better, but at 50 yards it’s just one big hole. So I know I’m the weak link at farther distance. I know those last six shots with it would have killed any deer I was shooting for at that distance. I’m just very rusty on the old iron sights. I believe if I had a blade front sight it would be easier to line up than the round bead front sight currently on the rifle now.

You could always do like my grandpa did with his Win. '94 38-55..Somehow he knocked off the front sight in the woods and had a guy at the mine he worked at saw a dime in half and solder it to the barrel...It sported that 1/2 dime front sight for ever so long until he handed it down to dad and dad had it fixed right...But saved the old dime.....
:lol:

hunter24605":2g2wsbbp said:
Cleveland48":2g2wsbbp said:
DrMike":2g2wsbbp said:

You could always do like my grandpa did with his Win. '94 38-55..Somehow he knocked off the front sight in the woods and had a guy at the mine he worked at saw a dime in half and solder it to the barrel...It sported that 1/2 dime front sight for ever so long until he handed it down to dad and dad had it fixed right...But saved the old dime.....
:lol:
Lol great story. Those old timers new how to make do with what they had that is for sure!

Finally worked up a 150gn NBT for white tail. Liked it enough I’ll load up a box of 50.
81aed0408ec09f27e7cfb25f6969cdea.jpg

That'll do! Can't see any whitetail (or many other critters) walking away from a hit by that load.

Yep that looks like a fantastic load for deer!

My favorite deer rifle has been my custom 7WSM which has accounted for quite a few longrange kills across the bean fields. Unfortunately, after rebarreling the rifle it refused to shot up to my expectations and is back with my gunsmith.
This year I'll be using a .308 with some 130gr TTSX bullets. My current load with Benchmark powder will shoot into about 3" at 400yds and trips the chronograph at 3,125 ft/sec. Not the most accurate rifle in the world but definitely good enough for whitetail shooting in the fields.

After years of talking myself into then back out of using a mono bullet, I decided to give the TTSX a fair shake and find out for myself how they perform..But just in case, I have a bunch of 140 AB's ready to step in!!!

Attachments

• 20171017_094021.jpg
    20171017_094021.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 573
Nice group at a very useful velocity!

I think you'll do just fine with those bullets.

Guy

I've enjoyed good success with both the TSX and the E-Tip in a variety of cartridges. Both bullets have ensured a good number of animals accepted my invitation to join me at the table throughout the years. I witnessed some fine accuracy with these monolithic bullets. You'll be pleased with the performance of the TTSX from your .280.

Back